Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Motorcraft FL-400s

Old 10-30-2008, 06:00 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TINMAN080
This engine is set up for longevity by Chrysler and is designed to have 6 quarts of oil in a full pan. The longer oil filter will filter more oil , but not more effectively, if the filter wasn't changed for a couple of years it MIGHT clog up. The main practical benefit of a larger filter is increased oil capacity, which adds to Chryslers initial engine setup of an extra large oil pan. Obviously 5 quarts would lube this engine quite effectively, the reason for the 6 quarts is heat transfer. This is just as important as the oil lubricating qualities, in fact the oil will break down and cause engine failure if overheated. So a larger filter won't give you any cleaner oil ( practically speaking) but it will fit right in with the setup scenario for this engine oil system. The size of an oil filter will not affect oil pressure, The oil pump, which is made up of enclosed gears driving the oil thru the engine passageways thru the bearings relys on bearing clearances to maintain oil pressure. To the oil traveling thru the engine the filter presents itself as a larger passageway with more oil volume. If the drainback valve has done it's job and kept the filter full, then there is NO effect on oil pressure. Actually your oil filter could be 5 gallon bucket sized! If the oil volume is sufficient, the engine oil system wouldn't know the difference.
Now thats an answer! Thanks TINMAN080!
Old 10-30-2008, 07:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This engine is set up for longevity by Chrysler and is designed to have 6 quarts of oil in a full pan. The longer oil filter will filter more oil , but not more effectively, if the filter wasn't changed for a couple of years it MIGHT clog up. The main practical benefit of a larger filter is increased oil capacity, which adds to Chryslers initial engine setup of an extra large oil pan. Obviously 5 quarts would lube this engine quite effectively, the reason for the 6 quarts is heat transfer. This is just as important as the oil lubricating qualities, in fact the oil will break down and cause engine failure if overheated. So a larger filter won't give you any cleaner oil ( practically speaking) but it will fit right in with the setup scenario for this engine oil system. The size of an oil filter will not affect oil pressure, The oil pump, which is made up of enclosed gears driving the oil thru the engine passageways thru the bearings relys on bearing clearances to maintain oil pressure. To the oil traveling thru the engine the filter presents itself as a larger passageway with more oil volume. If the drainback valve has done it's job and kept the filter full, then there is NO effect on oil pressure. Actually your oil filter could be 5 gallon bucket sized! If the oil volume is sufficient, the engine oil system wouldn't know the difference.
"So a larger filter won't give you any cleaner oil ( practically speaking) but it will fit right in with the setup scenario for this engine oil system."

Why?

Because "To the oil traveling thru the engine the filter presents itself as a larger passageway with more oil volume." ?

You're suggesting that a smaller volume filter; filters less? Hmmm.
Old 10-30-2008, 10:31 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by turtoni
"So a larger filter won't give you any cleaner oil ( practically speaking) but it will fit right in with the setup scenario for this engine oil system."

Why?

Because "To the oil traveling thru the engine the filter presents itself as a larger passageway with more oil volume." ?

He is saying they will both filter the same volume of oil, at the same pressure, just the larger one will do it longer.

So if you have 3 filters, and the filtering elements all have the same restriction, and all stay filled with oil, a mopar, a motor craft, and a 5 gallon bucket; you have oil flowing into them under 20lbs pressure, the volume of oil going into the engine will be the same from all of them, but the bigger one will be able to keep that same flow, at the same pressure for a longer time.
Then, he is adding, a larger total volume of oil, in the engine, will tend to stay a little cooler, just as an added benefit.

or not.
Old 10-31-2008, 04:54 AM
JK Junkie

You should be more concerned about the quality of the ADBV (Anti Drain Back Valve) if that doesn't work properly you can end up with ten times more damage to your engine than the filter not filtering very well could ever cause.

Last edited by whpony96; 10-31-2008 at 05:01 AM.
Old 10-31-2008, 01:25 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by whpony96
You should be more concerned about the quality of the ADBV (Anti Drain Back Valve) if that doesn't work properly you can end up with ten times more damage to your engine than the filter not filtering very well could ever cause.
The ADBV on the Motorcraft are silcone and do not leak. No failures or dry starts.

Last edited by cmpmacchia; 11-01-2008 at 03:20 PM.
Old 10-31-2008, 04:31 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Why?

Gosh I knew I'd get flamed on this oneWhether a filter holds 8 oz of oil or 16oz it filters oil, the size doesn't matter.The oil is pushed thru the passageways by the pump, a bigger filter doesn't draw any more oil, the pump will only move the volume it was designed to pump. If the filter and passageways are full then the size of the filter doesn't matter, only ''x'' number of ounces will be pushed by the pump anyway. Whether 8 oz are filtered thru 32 square inches of filter media or 8 oz are filtered thru 64 square inches of filter media- you still only have 8 oz of oil filtered. When I said setup scenario I meant the engine running an above average volume of oil, a larger filter would be right in line with this.....
Old 11-01-2008, 08:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Gosh I knew I'd get flamed on this oneWhether a filter holds 8 oz of oil or 16oz it filters oil, the size doesn't matter.The oil is pushed thru the passageways by the pump, a bigger filter doesn't draw any more oil, the pump will only move the volume it was designed to pump. If the filter and passageways are full then the size of the filter doesn't matter, only ''x'' number of ounces will be pushed by the pump anyway. Whether 8 oz are filtered thru 32 square inches of filter media or 8 oz are filtered thru 64 square inches of filter media- you still only have 8 oz of oil filtered. When I said setup scenario I meant the engine running an above average volume of oil, a larger filter would be right in line with this.....
No flaming from here. But.. heh. I think your larger filter setup is some guess work on your part? Especially since when you lookup the sizing for the filter it comes up with the standard sizing from some of the filter producers like Fram.

The mopar would seem to be more about one size fits all; hence the bigger sizing?

I'm just banging on about this because i'm wondering if i really need a larger filter than the one i'm using and intend to continue using..
Old 11-02-2008, 02:25 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No flaming from here. But.. heh. I think your larger filter setup is some guess work on your part? Especially since when you lookup the sizing for the filter it comes up with the standard sizing from some of the filter producers like Fram.

The mopar would seem to be more about one size fits all; hence the bigger sizing?

I'm just banging on about this because i'm wondering if i really need a larger filter than the one i'm using and intend to continue using..
You really don't NEED an oversized filter, I don't run an oversized filter. I never saw the need, especially on the JK with it's 6 quarts oil supply. Anybody really concerned about oil filtration shouldn't waste time and money on oversized filters, get a remote dual filter setup for your fenderwell. Out one filter then directly into the next one. How clean that oil could be....The whole point of my post was to try to explain the futility of increased oil filtration by installing a bigger filter driven by a fixed volume oil pump.....my two cents only....
Old 11-02-2008, 03:23 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cmpmacchia
Just purchased a Motorcraft FL-400s for the Jeep. The filter is twice the length of the Fram. Hopefully the ADBV work on them as well as the Fram did. Do you get better filtration with a filter thats double the size in length, assuming the filter media are relatively the same.
If your satisifed with the ADBV that the Fram filter provides, why then didn't you get the larger Fram filter ? It's the TG 3600........
Old 11-02-2008, 04:24 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by clubber
If your satisifed with the ADBV that the Fram filter provides, why then didn't you get the larger Fram filter ? It's the TG 3600........
Hi clubber, I wasn't aware of the larger Fram filter. I just decided to try the Motorcraft because I have a dealer close to me. Thanks for the heads up on the Fram! I didn't even know it existed.

Quick Reply: Motorcraft FL-400s