Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Motorcraft FL-400s

Old 10-29-2008, 04:16 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Motorcraft FL-400s

Just purchased a Motorcraft FL-400s for the Jeep. The filter is twice the length of the Fram. Hopefully the ADBV work on them as well as the Fram did. Do you get better filtration with a filter thats double the size in length, assuming the filter media are relatively the same.
Old 10-29-2008, 04:43 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Until such time that I find a Wix or Mopar cheap and close, it has become my filter of choice, since the Mobil1 has been a drainback failure.

No problems on three changes. (first two changes, I replaced the POS Mobil1 within a day or so)
Old 10-29-2008, 05:07 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sixt7gt350
Until such time that I find a Wix or Mopar cheap and close, it has become my filter of choice, since the Mobil1 has been a drainback failure.

No problems on three changes. (first two changes, I replaced the POS Mobil1 within a day or so)
Napa Gold filters are Wix, if you have one near by. Been running them for a long time.
Old 10-29-2008, 07:21 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by cmpmacchia
Just purchased a Motorcraft FL-400s for the Jeep. The filter is twice the length of the Fram. Hopefully the ADBV work on them as well as the Fram did. Do you get better filtration with a filter thats double the size in length, assuming the filter media are relatively the same.

Does anyone have an answer to the question?
Old 10-30-2008, 03:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cmpmacchia
Does anyone have an answer to the question?

I think sixt7gt350 did answer it.
Old 10-30-2008, 04:41 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been using the Motorcraft fl-400s for 3 oil changes now and not once have I had a issue with oil drain back. Fram caused the ticking issue every time in my JK! I am no longer a supporter of Fram products anymore.
Old 10-30-2008, 04:51 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

more filter area means less chance of getting clogged and pumping oil back thru the bypass, so using a bigger filter will have some benefit, only drawback I can see is having to use a bit more oil as the filter will retain more. there is something I saw on this forum also dicussing some sort of pressure rating or volume flowing through the stock filter vs. aftermarket, but I don't really recall. The drainback valve on the Motorcraft is supposed to excellent.
Old 10-30-2008, 05:12 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by JKJunkie
I think sixt7gt350 did answer it.
I'm not asking about the ADBV. I'm asking a question with respect to filtration.
Old 10-30-2008, 05:19 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it's not better filtration per se, but filtration longer with less chance of clogging and just sending the oil back to the engine with no filtration action at all.
Old 10-30-2008, 06:16 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default go for the big one....

This engine is set up for longevity by Chrysler and is designed to have 6 quarts of oil in a full pan. The longer oil filter will filter more oil , but not more effectively, if the filter wasn't changed for a couple of years it MIGHT clog up. The main practical benefit of a larger filter is increased oil capacity, which adds to Chryslers initial engine setup of an extra large oil pan. Obviously 5 quarts would lube this engine quite effectively, the reason for the 6 quarts is heat transfer. This is just as important as the oil lubricating qualities, in fact the oil will break down and cause engine failure if overheated. So a larger filter won't give you any cleaner oil ( practically speaking) but it will fit right in with the setup scenario for this engine oil system. The size of an oil filter will not affect oil pressure, The oil pump, which is made up of enclosed gears driving the oil thru the engine passageways thru the bearings relys on bearing clearances to maintain oil pressure. To the oil traveling thru the engine the filter presents itself as a larger passageway with more oil volume. If the drainback valve has done it's job and kept the filter full, then there is NO effect on oil pressure. Actually your oil filter could be 5 gallon bucket sized! If the oil volume is sufficient, the engine oil system wouldn't know the difference.

Quick Reply: Motorcraft FL-400s