Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Motor mount/Tranny mount problem after collision

Old 07-13-2016 | 03:18 PM
JK Newbie

Default Motor mount/Tranny mount problem after collision

Alright, first and foremost I understand Jeeps are meant for off roading not hitting other cars. However, sometime stuff happens in this life. About a week ago I was involved in a 10mph fender bender. Other than minor damage to the bumper the jeep was fine...from what I thought. However, a few days after the collision I began to feel an annoying vibration in the steering wheel, the gas pedal, and steering wheel. This vibration is only noticeable at idle and low rpm driving. I did my research and determined the problem to be in the motor and tranny mounts. My question is, how hard is this to fix? I am by no means a mechanic, but I am able to do things with a little guidance. Im going to attempt to post pics of the motor mounts for yall to distinguish whether or not they are actually damaged. Also, there will be a pic of on of the tranny mount bolts that is clearly moved forward a 1/4 of an inch at most (clearly somethings shifted around during the collision). With all this in mind, I took it to a collision shop and they said they could not any feel the vibration and it felt normal. I just hope I am not crazy and there is something actually there to be fixed. Any help will be appreciated, especially if you can guide me in changing out these mounts.
Click image for larger version

Name:	image1.JPG
Views:	1936
Size:	2.12 MB
ID:	652267Click image for larger version

Name:	image2.JPG
Views:	1177
Size:	2.03 MB
ID:	652268Click image for larger version

Name:	image3.JPG
Views:	1113
Size:	1.30 MB
ID:	652269Click image for larger version

Name:	image4.JPG
Views:	1106
Size:	1.42 MB
ID:	652270
Old 07-13-2016 | 03:31 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Loosen those three transmission mount bolts and move the transmission back to where it was and your vibration will go away. It'll cost a few minutes of your time.

I had a similar problem with mine after an accident and I got the same story. They brought in "experts" and couldn't find any problems after two weeks. It took me ten minutes to notice the shifted mount bolts.

So you can loosen those three bolts then use a ratchet strap to pull the transmission back to where it needs to be. I don't recall where I pulled on the transmission but it works. I did a similar pull to reset the mount after pulling and reinstalling the transmission.
The following users liked this post:
Nhbacku (Yesterday)
Old 07-13-2016 | 03:50 PM
JK Newbie

Alright, Ill go try it out. Thanks a ton. So the motor mounts looked alright to you?
Old 07-13-2016 | 03:55 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

I would straighten out the trans first then look at the motor mounts if the problem persists. When dropping the transmission, you can set the entire drivetrain at about a 30* angle and the mounts for the motor don't sweat an ounce.
Old 07-13-2016 | 04:10 PM
JK Newbie

Holy mother of god, it worked and you sir are a genius. I didnt even have to use the ratchet strap. I simply loosed the bolts and pushed up on the tranny. It shifted right back into place where it originally was. Drove her around the block, problem solved. Thank you for the help.
The following users liked this post:
deere36 (03-22-2021)
Old 07-13-2016 | 10:02 PM
JK Newbie

Good to hear about the easy fix on this. A buddy here probably having the same issue and gonna pass this info to him.
Old 07-03-2019 | 03:41 PM
JK Newbie

Default More details?

Ok all, I know this is an old post, but this is the exact same situation and symptoms I am having. However I cannot tell if my transmission is shifted. I was hoping someone would be able to give a little more detailed description of bolts, locations and how things would need to shift? Maybe some pictures if possible? Maybe a little more details on where to place the ratchet strap?

Sorry for all the questions on an old thread, but I really would like to avoid a body shop on this. Thanks in advamce

P.S. Even a link to a more descriptive explaination if someone happens to know of one.
Old 07-03-2019 | 04:25 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by karls10jk
Loosen those three transmission mount bolts and move the transmission back to where it was and your vibration will go away. It'll cost a few minutes of your time.

I had a similar problem with mine after an accident and I got the same story. They brought in "experts" and couldn't find any problems after two weeks. It took me ten minutes to notice the shifted mount bolts.

So you can loosen those three bolts then use a ratchet strap to pull the transmission back to where it needs to be. I don't recall where I pulled on the transmission but it works. I did a similar pull to reset the mount after pulling and reinstalling the transmission.
To clarify a little more on this post I've added pictures so bear with the size and writing.

First picture shows where my bolts were in the holes of the transfer case crossmember- note that this is an aftermarket unit now but the green circle shows about where the stock bolts were sitting as you could see by the dirt/ grime, and wear. Looking at the picture now, you can see corrosion in a circular pattern towards the front of the vehicle so I think the other guy's transmission sat a little further forward.

This picture shows a couple things. The blue is where I wrapped my heavy duty ratchet strap and pulled the transmission (with the bolts loose) back towards the rear bumper. If I remember correctly, the strap went under the rear axle and to the recovery points on the rear bumper- your mileage may vary. The vertical lines indicate where the 3 nuts are that I loosened up to get the transmission to slide back. Loosen, ratchet strap it snug, then tighten the bolts.

The X's here mark where the bolts are in the crossmember- you'll just loosen those 3 nuts and then look to see where the transmission was sitting before the collision.

Old 07-03-2019 | 04:44 PM
JK Newbie

Default My bolts

Wow! Thank you so much for the extra detail!! Here are the three bolts from mine. All three, the top is the front. So if it has shifted, it definitely went forward. I guess the makes sense inertia would do that if I bumped someone.

Old 07-03-2019 | 04:53 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

It doesn't look like yours have shifted, you'd see pronounced corrosion in the form of a circle towards the rear if they had shifted. Do you have more details to where we could try to help you diagnose or are you still in that litigation period where you're not supposed to publicly/ privately discuss it? AND even then.....please bear in mind that you're still on the hook for a short while afterwards so you've got to use select terminology when describing the incident. We're here to help, but it doesn't look like you've got what I had. Mine was a rear end collision with another vehicle traveling at highway speeds. Jeep stopped, motor and trans slid forward.

Quick Reply: Motor mount/Tranny mount problem after collision