Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

More dealership stupidity

Old 05-11-2012, 01:56 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More dealership stupidity

So I take my JKU in for servicing and we go over a couple of the problems I have been experiencing. I have had some water leaking into both marker lights and one of the taillights. So when I go to pick my Jeep up, the service manager comes out and states they went ahead and serviced my vehicle anyway, however because I have been clearly off roading, it may void my warranty. Invoice reads verbatim: " Front marker lights and right taillight leaking. Cause: Owner, vehicle has been off road mud and sand residue on inner fenders and undercarriage. Determination-owner at fault - vehicle being used for which is is not intended."

Ummmm.....I took my Jeep off road. Well no shit Dick Tracy. So I politely ask " Are you really being serious with this? He says " We are quite serious. You have put your warranty in jeopardy by going off roading." I return and say " Let me make sure I understand this. Chrysler goes out of its way to bill these vehicles as the premium off roading car. You advertise these cars in situations clearly depicting them in off road situations, and the moment the consumer uses the JK in the manner in which it has been advertised, you won't stand by your own product?" " I never said we don't stand by our product sir, but if you take it off road, it is on you. What is a JK?" So, I am standing there literally laughing my ass off at this guy....I couldn't help it. " You said you're the service manager of a Chrysler dealership, and you are not familiar with the term JK? Are you being serious with this?"
Old 05-11-2012, 02:29 PM
JK Super Freak

Omg. These dealerships are rediculous !if jeep wants to be that way they need to stop using the term trail rated. It's bullshit!
Old 05-11-2012, 02:41 PM
JK Junkie

Wow, unbelievable. Aside from the advertisements, even the owner's manual gives instructions on how to handle different offroad situations
Just because they saw dirt/mud under your fenders doesnt mean you went offroading. In my area during heavy rains there are run-offs of sand and dirt that go onto the road along with heavy flow of water. Driving in that condition would have sand, mud , dirt under my fenders as well... Will that void my warranty? Unbelievable !!!!!
Old 05-11-2012, 03:01 PM
JK Freak

I had a funny instance at my stealership as well.
Granted it was this past Christmas eve and they took my appointment so I didn't see anything wrong with it. I go in for an oil change and tell service mgr. that I noticed a few drops of oil in my garage. And asked if they could check it out. As the hour goes by he calls me up and says we found your problem why the oil is leaking.I ask what may have caused this. He says obviously you take your truck off road the engine is covered in dirt. I told him I work in a muddy construction area and he proceeds to tell me that off roading was the source of the problem. He told me its your transmission cooler lines. So being I have the lifetime power train warranty I say ok and will they be fixing it. He replies it's not usually covered but he would do it On this day. So I figure he was in the Christmas spirit and being a good service mgr. So he tells me it will be about an hour to replace the lines. I run down the road to a nearby wine shop and buy him a bottle of good red wine and the cashier who is young and very easy on the eyes I get her a very good bottle of white. Go back to dealer and my jk is ready to go. But no service mgr. so I sign my paperwork and leave the two bottles with the hot cashier. Fast forward about two weeks I get a recall from Chrysler and it is for the trans cooler lines.
I flipped out. Needless to say I have an appt tomorrow and I may give him a piece of my mind. I hate the dealership!!!
Old 05-11-2012, 03:47 PM
kik
JK Freak

Time for another dealer. How a "service manager" doesn't know the term JK for a Wrangler is beyond belief actually.
Old 05-11-2012, 04:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

I would make a copy of the invoice and send it to Chrysler with the question "Is this Chryslers policy and if so why are the Jeeps advertised as Trail Rated" or something to that affect.
Old 05-11-2012, 08:19 PM
JK Freak

I didn't even think about using the owners manual...thats a very good point. This is my second dealer. i had a hot oil illumination months ago and sent it back to my original dealer, only to have them say there is no problem. Well I beg to differ. After I confronted them with all the overheating issues these vehicles have, they refused to install the Mopar auxiliary cooling unit. So i started a case with LLC, and they agreed to install the unit free of charge. So, I thought I'd give a different dealer a whirl. I am beginning to think none of these guys have any morals whatsoever, and they all have their marching orders - always find a way to blame the consumer. In fact, I am sure this is the case more times than not. Not to mention the original dealer tried to lie to me by telling me I overtorqued the engine, which I had not ( I had pulled the trouble codes and engine data before going in, but didn't clear the code. When I showed them the discrepancy between their data and mine, they just sat there and looked stupid. In fact, there was no discrepancy, their data was identical to mine, they just lied about theirs.)

Again, I thank this forum for arming me with the knowledge necessary to protect myself from this nonsense. I am very proud to be an American, but I can't say i am proud of Chrysler, sorry to say. Don't get me wrong, I love off roading my JK, but I don't love dealing with this crap. On a rant/tangent, Ive got a 1999 Taco with 244,000 miles....bastard runs better than my JK, and has given me no hassles whatsoever, neither have the dealers, well, what little I see of them.

Last edited by DesolationMania; 05-11-2012 at 08:21 PM.
Old 05-12-2012, 03:00 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by airforce26yrs
I would make a copy of the invoice and send it to Chrysler with the question "Is this Chryslers policy and if so why are the Jeeps advertised as Trail Rated" or something to that affect.
That would have been my point...if its ADVERTISED as trail rated, please provide a company endorsed description on what that means.
Old 05-12-2012, 03:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

So can anyone find anything in writing from Jeep with the definition of trail rated?
Old 05-12-2012, 05:21 PM
Sponsoring Vendor
Epic-Addictions Representative

Straight from the horses mouth

http://www.jeep.com/en/4x4/trail_rated/

Quick Reply: More dealership stupidity