Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Mopar mud guard issue on 2013 Sahara 2 dr.

Old 02-10-2014, 05:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Statueman
Mud guards versus mud flaps... a big difference. I live in the Cumberland Mts and the clay sticks to everything and I do mean everything. It spins/flings up onto the top, windscreen, hood, etc. Women prefer not stepping onto the step bar that's covered in mud, hence.... If I had a Rubicon then I can see mud guards being sacrilegious... my Sahara rarely goes into the boonies.
I was just messing with you a bit. But in all seriousness, are you actually debating the difference between mud flaps and splash guards? lol, they are the same thing.

As was posted by someone else, black caulk is your best bet.
Old 02-10-2014, 06:26 AM
JK Newbie

Default Mud guard vs mud flap

Originally Posted by Namtaru
I was just messing with you a bit. But in all seriousness, are you actually debating the difference between mud flaps and splash guards? lol, they are the same thing.

As was posted by someone else, black caulk is your best bet.
I don't think of them as the same thing. A mud/splash guard is usually molded as opposed to a mud flap which is just that... a flap as on 18 wheelers... the Yosemite Sam type flaps. I guess it comes down to a common reference, the weakness in any language.

There's about 1/2 inch between the guard and the seam. The black caulk would certainly work at quieting it. I prefer to find a solution to both the floppy fender and possible sliding a length of hose of something similar over the seam... something like door edge guard material. Hum...?
Old 02-10-2014, 08:22 AM
JK Newbie

I have a half mile long gravel driveway, and that coupled with mud tires had my door hinges chipped down to bare metal after 2 months on my new rubi. Put front guards on and no more bullets! And they really don't look that bad with the stock rubi height. Not sure how well they would perform anti-rock duty with a lift though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
Old 02-10-2014, 06:04 PM
JK Newbie

Default Guards

Originally Posted by chrisben777
I have a half mile long gravel driveway, and that coupled with mud tires had my door hinges chipped down to bare metal after 2 months on my new rubi. Put front guards on and no more bullets! And they really don't look that bad with the stock rubi height. Not sure how well they would perform anti-rock duty with a lift though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
Yes, I live in the center of a two mile long gravel road that washes out constantly. The county lays down rock about 4-5 times a year just to keep up with Mother Nature and mountain runoff. The rocks are just about the right size to be picked up by the stock 18" tires on my Sahara... I imagine they'd be like really large sandblasting beads without the mud guards. Between the rocks and the clay it's a never ending battle to keep it looking good. It's the dirtiest (consistently) vehicle I've ever owned. Thanks God it's a Jeep and looks the part.

Quick Reply: Mopar mud guard issue on 2013 Sahara 2 dr.