Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Mopar mud guard issue on 2013 Sahara 2 dr.

Old 02-06-2014, 05:18 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mopar mud guard issue on 2013 Sahara 2 dr.

I bought my 2013 Sahara in June 2013 without the front and rear mudguards. I purchase a set (MOPAR) and added them without issue. A few thousand miles later I noticed a "rattle" coming from the driver's side kick panel. It drove me nuts for thousands of miles. It sounded as if I'd run over someone and they were tapping out a Morse code SOS. It only occurred in certain conditions and only at certain speeds and was not dependent upon RPM. I looked all over but couldn't find anything that explained it. After about 10,000 miles (it's been cold, I moved, yada, yada) I crawled under it to see what could be causing it before I started wearing aluminum on my head and talking to garden gnomes. Lo and behold, the front mudguards (I suspected them all along but couldn't see any issues) were catching wind causing the guards to be pushed back against a panel seam that sticks out right behind the front step bar mount. I could see the wear (just a shiny spot on the guards). I took a piece of self sticking water hose insulation and placed it (split) onto the seam where the panels join. I let it dry and drove it today for about 40 miles. Voila'... no noise (as of yet). I'll continue to test it as wind conditions seem to make a difference. If it's cured I'll institute a long term fix.
I posted this here as the MOPAR mudguards are hardly "modifications".
Old 02-07-2014, 06:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Hot tip, I think you lost everyone when you stated you put mud flaps on your Jeep.
Old 02-07-2014, 02:56 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The ones that think badly about mud guards are the same ones that wonder why the paint is all pitted from sand and stones, ha. I've had them (Mopar) on my 08 for years with no wind flutter noises. On my Cherokee, I used some thin stiff SS wire to a corner as a kind of support strut. Your idea sounds easier and as effective. Nice going. "Mud guards for all, mud guards for all"
Old 02-07-2014, 07:49 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Statueman
I bought my 2013 Sahara in June 2013 without the front and rear mudguards. I purchase a set (MOPAR) and added them without issue. A few thousand miles later I noticed a "rattle" coming from the driver's side kick panel. It drove me nuts for thousands of miles. It sounded as if I'd run over someone and they were tapping out a Morse code SOS. It only occurred in certain conditions and only at certain speeds and was not dependent upon RPM. I looked all over but couldn't find anything that explained it. After about 10,000 miles (it's been cold, I moved, yada, yada) I crawled under it to see what could be causing it before I started wearing aluminum on my head and talking to garden gnomes. Lo and behold, the front mudguards (I suspected them all along but couldn't see any issues) were catching wind causing the guards to be pushed back against a panel seam that sticks out right behind the front step bar mount. I could see the wear (just a shiny spot on the guards). I took a piece of self sticking water hose insulation and placed it (split) onto the seam where the panels join. I let it dry and drove it today for about 40 miles. Voila'... no noise (as of yet). I'll continue to test it as wind conditions seem to make a difference. If it's cured I'll institute a long term fix.
I posted this here as the MOPAR mudguards are hardly "modifications".
I used heavy duty black caulk to seal the top seams on all 4 to keep water inside the wheel well.
Old 02-08-2014, 09:27 AM
JK Newbie

Default Mud guards vs mud flaps

Originally Posted by Namtaru
Hot tip, I think you lost everyone when you stated you put mud flaps on your Jeep.
Mud guards versus mud flaps... a big difference. I live in the Cumberland Mts and the clay sticks to everything and I do mean everything. It spins/flings up onto the top, windscreen, hood, etc. Women prefer not stepping onto the step bar that's covered in mud, hence.... If I had a Rubicon then I can see mud guards being sacrilegious... my Sahara rarely goes into the boonies.
Old 02-08-2014, 09:31 AM
JK Newbie

Default Caulking...

Originally Posted by Macman1138
I used heavy duty black caulk to seal the top seams on all 4 to keep water inside the wheel well.
A good idea. One of my primary complaints with my Sahara is the way the fenders are mounted. They move around in about 4 different directions. I've checked the mounts to ensure everything is fine but... just grabbing the fender it feels loose as a goose. Odd, in my book but I suppose it may keep them front getting torn all to hell in the boonies.
Old 02-08-2014, 12:06 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes the fenders are very loose feeling. I thought the Sahara painted ones were stiffer. Evidently not. Not to change the thread subject but you mentioned grime on the Jk. Has anyone fabricated an air deflector, air foil to reduce the grime on the back window? I have a 2 door soft top only. I was looking at other non - Jeep vehicles and many are sporting a deflector of one type or another to cause a downdraft along the rear window and keep road grime minimized. On a soft top, the deflector/wing would need to be glued in place somehow or a clamp fabricated on the rear frame brow. Your thoughts?
Old 02-09-2014, 05:59 AM
JK Newbie

Default Rear wind deflector

Originally Posted by Mike Davis
Yes the fenders are very loose feeling. I thought the Sahara painted ones were stiffer. Evidently not. Not to change the thread subject but you mentioned grime on the Jk. Has anyone fabricated an air deflector, air foil to reduce the grime on the back window? I have a 2 door soft top only. I was looking at other non - Jeep vehicles and many are sporting a deflector of one type or another to cause a downdraft along the rear window and keep road grime minimized. On a soft top, the deflector/wing would need to be glued in place somehow or a clamp fabricated on the rear frame brow. Your thoughts?
A good point. I certainly haven't noticed one specific to the Wrangler. There's one available for the Liberty, etc. I suppose the availability of the soft top precludes any mass production of one as there are so many soft tops out there versus hard tops. I agree though... my rear window is always dirty. As much as I hate "universal fit" accessories, that may be the only answer available.
Old 02-09-2014, 06:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

My kids bought me the Mopar mud guards for Christmas a couple years ago and I couldn't believe it, "You don't put mud flaps on a Jeep!!!" I put them on for my kids and I am glad I did. My tire lift combo always throws mud under the door handle but not anymore. I have not noticed any rattles. ...I think when installing them I made sure the fasteners went through both layers of the inner fender....I think i moved the fastener position a little to achieve. Was 2years ago and don't have original instructions to check.
Old 02-09-2014, 07:26 PM
JK Newbie

Default Mud guards vs mud flaps

Originally Posted by 08REDROCKX
My kids bought me the Mopar mud guards for Christmas a couple years ago and I couldn't believe it, "You don't put mud flaps on a Jeep!!!" I put them on for my kids and I am glad I did. My tire lift combo always throws mud under the door handle but not anymore. I have not noticed any rattles. ...I think when installing them I made sure the fasteners went through both layers of the inner fender....I think i moved the fastener position a little to achieve. Was 2years ago and don't have original instructions to check.
If hitting the boonies I can see not putting them on but for my lighter use it really has saved a lot of complaints and keeps it markedly cleaner. I'd put them on again but i do wish I hadn't followed the instructions as closely. I should have explored finding better anchor/mounting locations or some reinforcement. i installed them per the instructions as it was brand new at the time. I think the lower fenders are simply too loose from the factory. By mounting what's basically a concave mud guard on it creates an airfoil that then exaggerates the fenders propensity to flop around. When the weather warms up I may go out and see if I can put a few more plastic fasteners in to hold the liners to the kick panels or some other anchor point. The rears have no such issue obviously so...

On another note, I see a lot of vehicles with rotted out kick panels, rockers, etc... much of it is from bad drainage, chips that rust out, and/or corrosion that isn't flushed off. I've always put mud guards on and have NEVER had an issue on any vehicle going back to my 1967 Chevrolet. I consider them an insurance policy. If I were mudding or crawling they wouldn't last an hour but I don't take my Jeep mudding or crawling. If I have to question whether I SHOULD drive up or down something, I'd rather hike.

Quick Reply: Mopar mud guard issue on 2013 Sahara 2 dr.