Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Mobil 1 Extended Performance (EP) Oil and Filters

Old 02-06-2011, 08:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mobil 1/Penzoil platinum (what ever is on sale) and Fram extended guard filters since new...I change everything out at 5,000 miles...No knocks, pings, dings, valve noise, dry starts or any other nonsense.
Old 02-07-2011, 01:46 AM
JK Freak

i'm using mobil 1 5w30 esp with a mopar filter...
only 11k on my '08 rubi auto...no worries...[no dust]...
changing interval = 5000
Old 02-07-2011, 03:17 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by newbiejeeper
Coming up on my first oil change for my 2011 and wanted to know if anyone has switched to or is currently using the Mobil 1 EP oil and filter combo...I was going to try to push my oil change intervals out to 4k to 5k instead of 3k.

I was going to start with Royal Purple, but decided that Mobil 1 may be the better choice for me since its more readily available.

Not trying to start a debate on the which oil is best because I know that like asking about politics and religion.

Thanks...
My That is what I do. Every 3k is overkill and 5K maybe also. The only way to actually know when the oil is broken down enough to change is to have it analyzed. I'm not going through the trouble, time, or expense to do that. I feel comfortable a 5K intervals and it is easy to remember. For me that is only once or twice a year, usually anyway.

This may be off your topic but, I did notice during my trip to wally world that the only recommended Fram oil filter was the extended guard. The other post in this thread talking about the drain valve makes perfect sense now. I too had the impression Frams were the low-end cheapo filters. I felt better about buying the EG in the past due to the reports on this forum.
Old 03-01-2011, 03:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've ran the M1 EP 5w20 and the M1 EP filter. All has been well and good until it got cold outside. I have since noticed that when its cold, I do get a dry start...I made the switch to a Fram filter (as per recommended on this forum) and I STILL get the dry start tick. Going to switch back to a Mopar filter to see if this is the problem. If not, I may end up switching to 5w30 to see if this helps. I've never really liked the fact that this motor uses 5w20 oil anyway...only reason I have ran it this long is to not void anything with the warranty.

BTW, when I removed the M1 EP filter, there was indeed oil still retained inside the filter...so its not like the filter is dry by any means...but for some reason when its cold, my jeep has a dry start.
Old 03-01-2011, 03:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

I live in VT...very cold winters, regularly below zero temps when I start up in the winter.

I've never had a problem, but have always used the Mopar filter and 5w20 Mobil 1.
Old 03-01-2011, 04:10 PM
JK Freak

Oh hell why not jump in? I've been running Mobil 1 5W-20 with a Fram Tough Guard 3614 filter on a 5,000 mile change interval since the first oil change at 1,151 miles. Only dry starts I ever had before switching to the Tough Guard was with the assembly line installed OEM Mopar... Whoot! My B&M #70268 SuperCooler was delivered during this post! ...Knock wood in 19,500+ miles I haven't burned enough oil between changes to register any loss on the dip stick.

Last edited by kingteddybear; 03-01-2011 at 04:15 PM.
Old 03-02-2011, 04:34 AM
JK Newbie

Mobile 1 EP is NOT a full synthetic, regardless of what is on the can. is it good oil? Yes! Can you go 6,000 miles? Sure! You can go 6000 miles on factory Dino oil. I would run Amsoil or Royal purple 0w20 or 0w30. I would get a good filter like WiX or Amsoil, and run a WIX air filter as well. Don't run a "high-flow" air filter that let's too much dirt in. With a real synthetic (and good air filter) you could go 10,000 + miles on an oil change while just changing the filter at regular interval. Don't believe me? Go for yourself and do an oil lab at 6000 miles and see if the oil is still good. I have had Amsoil, redline, and royal purple last 15,000 before testing showed loss of viscosity and shear protection.
Old 03-02-2011, 04:39 AM
JK Newbie

Going from 5w20 to 5w30 will NOT help start up viscosity. If you want more protection on startup, run a 0w30 or 0w20 synthetic oil. Want more info? Google "bob is the oil guy" and read about oil and tests.

Quick Reply: Mobil 1 Extended Performance (EP) Oil and Filters