Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Mobil 1 Extended Performance (EP) Oil and Filters

Old 02-05-2011, 09:31 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was running Royal Purple oil and K&N filter, developed valve clatter. Switched to Mobile 1 synthetic oil and Mobile 1 filter and clatter went away. Good experience for me at least. The K&N and Mobile 1 filter IMO are both good filters. but the K&N is not available in my area as much as the Mobile 1 so have just stuck with the same brand for filter and oil
Old 02-06-2011, 04:36 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm sure Mobil EP is good, personally I would let the motor break in with conventional oil first 10 to 15. The piston rings will have a chance to seat better. I'm not a mechanic but told by many that this is good sound advice. I'm sure many on this form will also say so. Switch then to what you think best.
Old 02-06-2011, 04:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default oil filter

Changed my oil day before yesterday. I am using a K&N filter and noticed start up knock twice. I will be going back to the fram today. I have never used K&N oil filters in my Jeep before. I will post again after the filter change.
Old 02-06-2011, 05:06 AM
JK Freak

Google for a cut open Fram Extended Guard filter. Fram has well deserved reputation for crappy filters, but their Extended Guard really is a good filter. The two lower tiers are held together with cardboard and glue, but the EG filter is a synthetic medium help together with metal, and has a huge anti drainback valve, which is impotent to our JK's.

If you still don't want to roll with a Fram EG, the OEM Mopar filters have a descent anti drainback valve, although they usually fail after 3000 miles or so in my experience, but your mileage may vary.
Old 02-06-2011, 07:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

The fram tough guard filters have a big silicone antidrain back valve I have also used bosch filters with success. Dont use a baldwin filter tried one once. I would have lifter tick after an hour with that one.
Old 02-06-2011, 07:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

I switched over to the Mobil 1 EP synthetic and a Wix filter. No drain back problems, no knocking. Go on youtube and look up "oil filter comparisons". There is a guy on there that took apart every major brand oil filter to demonstrate the inner workings of each filter. I was actually surprised how cheap the regular Fram filters are. So cheap! The Wix filter I use seemed to be pretty solid inside and out and it's a few bucks cheaper than the K&N that I originally wanted to use.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by newbiejeeper
I was going to try to push my oil change intervals out to 4k to 5k instead of 3k.

I was going to start with Royal Purple, but decided that Mobil 1 may be the better choice for me since its more readily available.
You can run regular mobil 1 to 5000. All of this depends on the conditions you're driving in of course.
I don't have a clue as to why this has turned into an oil filter thread about drain back / start up knock issues.
Old 02-06-2011, 01:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

I switched to Mobil 1 right away on my '08, but always use a Mopar filter. Keep the Mopar filter receipt as documentation in case warranty issues arise down the road.
Old 02-06-2011, 05:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Oil and Filter

Originally Posted by newbiejeeper
Coming up on my first oil change for my 2011 and wanted to know if anyone has switched to or is currently using the Mobil 1 EP oil and filter combo...I was going to try to push my oil change intervals out to 4k to 5k instead of 3k.

I was going to start with Royal Purple, but decided that Mobil 1 may be the better choice for me since its more readily available.

Not trying to start a debate on the which oil is best because I know that like asking about politics and religion.

Thanks...
Sent you a message regarding your oil question. Please read and get back
with me if you have any questions.

Magnum306
Old 02-06-2011, 06:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AK4Dave

Oh listen to you.....don't make me come over there!!!.....
Don't make this liberal Texan make a JK road trip!

Quick Reply: Mobil 1 Extended Performance (EP) Oil and Filters