Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Mobil 1 Extended Performance (EP) Oil and Filters

Old 02-05-2011, 11:08 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mobil 1 Extended Performance (EP) Oil and Filters

Coming up on my first oil change for my 2011 and wanted to know if anyone has switched to or is currently using the Mobil 1 EP oil and filter combo...I was going to try to push my oil change intervals out to 4k to 5k instead of 3k.

I was going to start with Royal Purple, but decided that Mobil 1 may be the better choice for me since its more readily available.

Not trying to start a debate on the which oil is best because I know that like asking about politics and religion.

Thanks...
Old 02-05-2011, 12:15 PM
JK Freak

i use mobile 1 0w-20. change it every 6k and also use a fram extenda-gaurd filter. have done that for 3 years now and have had no problems at all.
Old 02-05-2011, 12:32 PM
JK Newbie

research oil filters on here - there are many, many threads about why not to use Mobil 1 filters. I had put one on, read the forum, and changed to the Motorcraft FL-400S 3 days later.
Old 02-05-2011, 12:42 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by DirtyJosh
research oil filters on here - there are many, many threads about why not to use Mobil 1 filters. I had put one on, read the forum, and changed to the Motorcraft FL-400S 3 days later.
I have 100s of thousands of miles on Mobil 1 filters. Never a problem. And I believe that petroleum engineers are better at assessing the performance possibilities of oil and filters than anyone else. I run my oil a year (but I'm out of warranty). I change it earlier if I run it in especially dusty climates (such as after three days on White Rim Trail). I've always run Mobil 1 for a year--ever since the very early 80s when I switched to it from dino. I know, that's heresy. 3K miles or your engine will die. None of mine have, yet, and my longest life vehicle is at 160K miles.

BTW: You shouldn't compare oil choice to religion and/or politics. A better comparison is beer. Beer is a matter of opinion. Religion is something too personal to touch. Politics is a matter of those slightly left of center, and those in the wrong.

Last edited by Mark Doiron; 02-05-2011 at 12:45 PM.
Old 02-05-2011, 12:49 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Politics is a matter of those slightly left of center, and those in the wrong.
Oh listen to you.....don't make me come over there!!!.....
Old 02-05-2011, 12:52 PM
JK Newbie

I have 100s of thousands of miles on Mobil 1 filters. Never a problem. And I believe that petroleum engineers are better at assessing the performance possibilities of oil and filters than anyone else. I run my oil a year (but I'm out of warranty). I change it earlier if I run it in especially dusty climates (such as after three days on White Rim Trail). I've always run Mobil 1 for a year--ever since the very early 80s when I switched to it from dino. I know, that's heresy. 3K miles or your engine will die. None of mine have, yet, and my longest life vehicle is at 160K miles.
Do what you want. I certianly don't claim to be an expert. But when I read that many, many people on here "think" they experience problems with Mobil 1 oil filters - and the one they all love is 1/4 the price - that is good enough for me to change.
Old 02-05-2011, 02:13 PM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

BTW: You shouldn't compare oil choice to religion and/or politics. A better comparison is beer. Beer is a matter of opinion. Religion is something too personal to touch.

Careful. Some in the crowd regard their beer with religious fervor, too.

Newbiejeeper is pretty much right. Any discussion of oil type or change schedule triggers knee-jerk reactions of what should and shouldn't be. Mostly based on what someone was told or how its always been done.....

Can't we all just get along? (President Dale/Jack Nicholson)
Old 02-05-2011, 02:15 PM
JK Freak

Thanks for the replies, but I don't think anyone has answered whether or not they have used the EP oil
Old 02-05-2011, 03:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by newbiejeeper
Coming up on my first oil change for my 2011 and wanted to know if anyone has switched to or is currently using the Mobil 1 EP oil and filter combo...I was going to try to push my oil change intervals out to 4k to 5k instead of 3k.

I was going to start with Royal Purple, but decided that Mobil 1 may be the better choice for me since its more readily available.

Not trying to start a debate on the which oil is best because I know that like asking about politics and religion.

Thanks...

I have been using the M1 EP in 5w30 for the past 10k miles or so with 5k change intervals & will continue to do so.

I usually buy the filter at an auto parts store but I buy the M1 at walmart in the gallon jug for around 25 bucks or so.

Good oil & good filter. No problems to report. Recommended.

Personally I'd stay away from the Royal Purple as I think the purple dye is an unnecessary marketing gimmick.

Just my 2 cents...
Old 02-05-2011, 06:46 PM
JK Freak

+1 for startup knock with M1 filters on my JK. I used them on my Hondas with no issues, but my 3.8 doesn't like them.

Quick Reply: Mobil 1 Extended Performance (EP) Oil and Filters