Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Missing Wiring Harness - DC Makes Changes

Old 03-12-2007, 01:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Old_School
Where did you come up with that? By the time a fire has progressed to the point of melting plastic, a blanket is not going to put it out.
I'm curious about this as well. I was planning on removing hte underhood insulation (if my JK shows up with it) as I don't care about noise benefits. But, if there is a legitimate safety reason to have it there, I will leave it on.
Old 03-12-2007, 06:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On the Jeep website it says that the hood insulation is only standard on the Sahara & Rubicon and not available on the "X". Are there any "X" owners with the insulation?

Is the insulation just for sound deadening?
Old 03-13-2007, 04:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kaffeene
On the Jeep website it says that the hood insulation is only standard on the Sahara & Rubicon and not available on the "X". Are there any "X" owners with the insulation?

Is the insulation just for sound deadening?
I have an X and mine has the hood insulation.
Old 03-13-2007, 05:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

ok, the hood insulation and plastic screws melting and the flammable insulation dropping and putting out the fire? yah i am throwing the BS flag on that one.
I am a firefighter, have been for 5 years now. i have worked dozens of car fires and not once have i ever seen this. now i have seen those insulation mats burnt up with the rest of the engine compartment on every single car fire where you could distinguish an insulation mat from anything else.
Old 03-13-2007, 11:32 AM
JK Newbie

My late September build X has hood insulation and driver footwell courtesy lamp, but no under hood lamp.
Old 03-13-2007, 11:38 AM
JK Newbie

Hood insulation is not a fire extinguishments devise. I would have to agree with H2OSquirter as a fellow firefighter. I have worked enough car fires to say that hood insulation will not put a fire out. I believe the hood insulation is just what the name says, insulation. I think it is designed to help protect the paint.
Old 03-13-2007, 12:53 PM
JK Newbie

I have an X and mine doesn't have the insulation either.

Has anyone noticed how bad the hood blows with the wind and sometimes looks like it's going to fly open when driving down the interstate? Does the insulation help with this at all?

Does anyone have the hood deflector, does that help this situation?

thanks
Old 03-13-2007, 01:00 PM
JK Freak

only if it's on fire

Nope. Mine moves around a bit. Here's what helps for me. Take it offroad. Way offroad & you will have so much fun that the insulation & flapping hood won't seem to matter anymore.
Old 03-13-2007, 01:43 PM
JK Newbie

Hood insulation doesn't help the hood flapping. Mine flaps when going by 18wheelers @ 75mph on 2-lanes.
Old 03-14-2007, 09:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Missing

I have a Rubicon, no under hood light, but insulation, and no interior foot well light. Should I have these?

Quick Reply: Missing Wiring Harness - DC Makes Changes