Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Miles on Rubicon shocks?

Old 04-13-2013, 11:13 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Miles on Rubicon shocks?

I purchased my '08 last August and the previous owner put on a 2" spacer lift. Apparently, that's all that was done besides lower front adjustable control arms (no rear links, brake extensions, or shock extensions). How many miles would you think the stock Rubicon shocks can take? I want to get the suspension correct prior to upgrading to coils and would gladly get TeraFlex shock extensions, but I am afraid with 50K miles on them, it would be throwing money away. Does anyone see a reason to keep these shocks at this mileage or just go ahead and replace them? Obviously, with a wife and child, money is tight and the extensions would be easier on my wallet. Thanks guys!
Old 04-14-2013, 07:56 AM
JK Junkie

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Do you feel any adverse handling effects? Check for oil around your shafts on the shocks. If there are neither you are safe. On the bright side, Monroe has reflex mono tubes for a great price.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:51 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Aside from riding rough, they seem ok. The E rated Toyo MTs aren't helping the ride, but I like the strength of the tire. I just want to get the length correct for the spacers since the previous owner did not and if I can go the economical route with extensions, then so be it. When I upgrade, I'll probably go with hydro shocks. I had RE hydros on my TJ a decade ago and loved the smooth ride and slow control offroad. Anyhow, thanks for the advice!
Old 04-14-2013, 09:42 AM
JK Junkie

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

No problem, with only 2" shock extensions are probably not necessary. Also the Munroe reflex actually ride really good.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:12 PM
JK Newbie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Replaced mine at 70k. I compared them to the new ones and they were only a little softer. I think I could have left them in for 30k more.

Quick Reply: Miles on Rubicon shocks?