Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Miles per Gallon :(

Old 04-11-2008, 07:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just seems strange about the variability we have going on here. It could be some are driving more uphill driving than straightaways or downhill.

I use mine for commuting so I am keeping an eye on driving slow. Once it is in 4th though, it moves along...but those first few gears...well, i can see how some would dump on it...heck, i am tempted to
Old 04-11-2008, 08:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JeepJK4Life
i have acctually taken to doors off to reduce the weight the jeep carries lol to increase my mpg, i wish i could figure out how much im getting i dont have gps or the thing on the dash that tells you
Are you sure this really helps? It seems like by taking the doors off you would hurt your MPG by creating a lot of turbulant wind resistance. I'm repeating what I was told here...and it makes perfect sense: reducing the weight of your rig probably won't help much. Maybe in stop and go traffic or if your in a very hilly area. I ran without the rear tire for week and while I *think* I could feel a difference in stop and go...my mileage on that tank was only .25 miles better than the previous and that is not enough difference to say that it made any difference. It seems like most people report slightly less mpg with top down and/or doors off...but who cares its to fun! Also if gas is hurting you now you realize larger tires is going to hurt you more right?

I'm all stock X with S package and averaging 19mpg, I commute to work and maybe an 1/8th of that is highway. The rest is curvy rolling terrain but not huge hills.
Old 04-11-2008, 09:03 AM
JK Newbie

I have the Freedom Top and with the panels off I lose a good 1 mpg on the highway from the increase in drag.
Old 04-11-2008, 09:55 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by TekWarren
Are you sure this really helps? It seems like by taking the doors off you would hurt your MPG by creating a lot of turbulant wind resistance.
Ditto, would likely see no benefit if not a drop. If I take my hard top off I eliminate a decent amount of weight but my MPGs go down noticeably.
Old 04-11-2008, 01:33 PM
5x5
JK Newbie

I'm with VaMan. I usually have the panels off and windows down. It seems to lose me about 1-2 mpg. It's kinda like towing a parachute. I'll be interested to see what it's like with the rest of the top off and later the doors.
Old 04-11-2008, 02:30 PM
jmc
JK Enthusiast

If you can keep it under 65 on the highway makes a big difference in your mpg than over 65 it seems to me.

I once read a while back you get your best mpg at 45 mph.
Old 04-11-2008, 03:49 PM
JK Junkie

It's a Jeep, that's all I have to say. If you wanted MPG, get a Honda.
Old 04-11-2008, 06:34 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Suffolk JK
It's a Jeep, that's all I have to say. If you wanted MPG, get a Honda.
My wife's JK is getting damn near Honda Numbers....and besides HONDA BLOWS GOATS with there vehicle styles.

Wife's JK with 6500km still gets 19 USMPG City and highway 23 USMPG. This is running on 33 sneakers with 3:73, 6 speed. I am still why this JK is getting Honda Numbers....NEVER expected these numbers....but I will take them when gas is $1.28/liter or $4.87/Gallon.
Old 04-11-2008, 07:30 PM
JK Newbie

Default wranglers are bricks on wheels

more or less wranglers are bricks on wheels. bicycle offers best fuel economy.
Old 04-16-2008, 01:10 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by defkon
I really have no idea how people are getting the mpg that high. I drive slow, don't rev high...and I live in FL, so it's all highway and no hills!
And I can't break 17mpg Whatever, I didn't buy it for mpg anyway.
It's all about the right foot. I've been getting about 18 in 50/50 highway (rural) & City. My wife get's 15.5 mpg when she takes it.

Of course she also only gets about 18mpg out of her Lexus ES 300.

Quick Reply: Miles per Gallon :(