Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Might sound n00bish

Old 10-10-2009, 06:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Might sound n00bish

On the way home tonight, went down a city street i always go down, and went through a green light going 25mph or so, and there was a sign in the dark apparently that i missed that said "bump" and i hit it directly head on. it was squared off asphalt at an intersection where they had stopped paving. not sure how tall it is up, but holy shit did it sound and feel awful. again, im new to all of this stuff, and i'm also the most paranoid guy you'll ever meet. with a JK sahara 4 door, could this have done anything? sorry to ask what is probably a really stupid question, but i get really awful anxiety about shit like this. thanks guys
Old 10-10-2009, 07:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

i know its a jeep lol, but at that speed, freaks me out. im still young and have a lot to learn. just want to know at that speed if a squared edge of 6 inches, which was the height it jumped to about id say, would hurt anything
Old 10-10-2009, 07:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

ive done 3in in my two door......not great for em but u should be ok, id grab the steering wheel and see if it has wiggled loose, by grabbing at 8 and three and lifting it off the steering colum and see if it will move. i knocked mine loose the first time i went off road in mine and the stealership said it was suposed to be that way but i made em check and fix it. the nut that holds the wheel had vibrated loose on me and it felt funny. the only other thing i can think of is to check your alignment..... see if it pulls on way or the other.....
Old 10-10-2009, 07:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by aclokwerk
ive done 3in in my two door......not great for em but u should be ok, id grab the steering wheel and see if it has wiggled loose, by grabbing at 8 and three and lifting it off the steering colum and see if it will move. i knocked mine loose the first time i went off road in mine and the stealership said it was suposed to be that way but i made em check and fix it. the nut that holds the wheel had vibrated loose on me and it felt funny. the only other thing i can think of is to check your alignment..... see if it pulls on way or the other.....
yeah 6 inches is just what id guess, cuz obviously out the car it looks bigger, but maybe im wrong, i was going 25. everything felt fine the rest of the way home but wow am i freaking out.
Old 10-10-2009, 07:09 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

No wandering or pulling to one side or anything, right? You should be ok.

You might check your rims though. If you hit hard enough, it's possible that they might have a little dent or crack or something. It'll give it a little character, let people know you're actually using it...
Old 10-10-2009, 07:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nthinuf
No wandering or pulling to one side or anything, right? You should be ok.

You might check your rims though. If you hit hard enough, it's possible that they might have a little dent or crack or something. It'll give it a little character, let people know you're actually using it...
about a month ago i was taking a left turn under heavy acceleration and didnt realize where my wheels were pointing and i ran over a 4in curb at 35mph it mared the rim sliced the side wall a little but i swear it sounded like i ran over a honda....still runs fine no issues from tire rim or aligment...lol you just gotta pay attention..... i forget to sometimes
Old 10-10-2009, 07:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by aclokwerk
about a month ago i was taking a left turn under heavy acceleration and didnt realize where my wheels were pointing and i ran over a 4in curb at 35mph it mared the rim sliced the side wall a little but i swear it sounded like i ran over a honda....still runs fine no issues from tire rim or aligment...lol you just gotta pay attention..... i forget to sometimes
yeah its probably fine, i bet guys in jeeps and pickups go over it at 15-18mph all day long, i just hit it dead on, and its cold out so i could hear plastic shift (crack noises) so it probably sounded worse than it was..but i also worry about everything, which is why i came onto the forum so i could sleep tonight lol...one time i was avoiding hitting a new car with temp plates at an ice cream place near my house..and i forgot the curb was right next to me, and my right tires slipped off of the curb and went into the street..they were doing construction as well (damn maine roads) so it was a steep drop off but i had the clearance by an inch id say..close call though.
Old 10-10-2009, 07:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

just checked the rims..they are the aluminum 18" wheels..they look fine to me. and again, alignment seemed fine on the way home.it wasn't as bad as a curb by any means, but it's enough that people slow down a bit. exactly like you said above me man, it sounded like i hit a honda!!
Old 10-10-2009, 07:34 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Drive faster next time. Blow the tires and crack the rims, good excuse to go bigger!!
Old 10-10-2009, 07:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nthinuf
Drive faster next time. Blow the tires and crack the rims, good excuse to go bigger!!
lol wonder if its covered under insurance......hmmmm i would love to but its a daily driver and i cant afford much of anything let alone tires.....

Quick Reply: Might sound n00bish