Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Metric vs SAE for 2012 JK Models

Old 04-24-2012, 12:46 PM
EzK
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Suspension work:

10mm(brake line brackets), 15mm, 16mm, 17mm, 18mm, 21mm

Those were my main tools while lifting my Jk, I may have missed a few.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:15 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Black-Shadow
Im finding that im using both, my lug nuts are SAE but yet taking off my bumper it was metric, beats me, I guess its good to own a set of both

Interesting. The lug nuts on my 07 are 19mm.

Nonetheless, I agree that a metric/inch kit is the best solution. :-)
Old 04-25-2012, 05:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

19mm and 3/4" are so close that it's usually irrelevant. .75 x 25.4 = 19.05mm
(I suspect some tool company's 19mm and 3/4" sockets are the same piece with different numbers cast/formed/burnt/carved/whatever on them.)

Also remember that there is NO universal standard for bolt size and tool size. Theoretically an inch is an inch and a millimeter is a millimeter but in reality the company that supplies Chrysler with their 15mm head nuts and bolts may not have the same actual outside dimension as the inside of your 15mm Craftsman wrench or Proto 15mm impact socket. You may end up with some wiggle for better or worse. The quality of the tools matters too. Generic crap from the sale bin at AutoZone won't have the same quality as SnapOn, Mac, Proto, Craftsman Pro, etc.

Considering the JK is made on the same line in Toledo for export as for domestic US models my money is on it being pretty much all metric. I know my buddy's '02 TJ was.

All that said, I've always had metric and standard sockets and wrenches and have never regretted it. Even the '89 Chevy Blazer K5 that I recently sold had metric hardware on it in places. Never know what you're going to be working on.

Quick Reply: Metric vs SAE for 2012 JK Models