Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Massive hood fail

Old 02-15-2011, 04:07 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Massive hood fail

Thanks for havin' me on the forum! We love the jeep but last weekend we traversed a short hole that had a pretty good dip in it, water washed over the hood and when we popped up the hood was caved in, no water in the intake or anything just a crushed hood. Any thoughts? Don't say "don't go through water"!
Old 02-15-2011, 04:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by redfish
Thanks for havin' me on the forum! We love the jeep but last weekend we traversed a short hole that had a pretty good dip in it, water washed over the hood and when we popped up the hood was caved in, no water in the intake or anything just a crushed hood. Any thoughts? Don't say "don't go through water"!
Have any pics? The hoods are super thin. When I go through the car wash, the air dryer makes my hood ripple but it holds its shape. I have also had issues on the freeway on windy days. I often wondered if the whole thing was going to come off.
Old 02-15-2011, 04:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

My safety catch latch sometimes gets stuck in the open position, It would suck royally if the hood latches failed!!!!
Old 02-16-2011, 03:34 AM
JK Newbie

Popped it back out the same day but it left nasty indentations in all 4 corners.
Old 02-16-2011, 03:55 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow someone else to join my crew!!! i thought i was alone with my dented hood from water!!! mine happened about a month after i got it. was in outer banks and went thorugh a very DEEP water hole! water poured in the doors, the tailgate.. ended up having to have my friend pull me out. floor was filled up to bottom of seats and i had about 2500 mi on her!!!
so my hood was totally caved in. pushed most of it out, but to this day its still has like 10 lil dents in it... my jk is silver and u alomst cant see it though...
oh well adds character.
Old 02-18-2011, 06:48 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by redfish
I managed to do the same thing. Judging by your location, could have been the same water hole. Fl sun will pop it back to form in a few months.

Quick Reply: Massive hood fail