Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

"manual transmition gear rollover lug noise"

Old 05-21-2013, 10:54 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "manual transmition gear rollover lug noise"

at around 1500 miles my 2013 4 door manual wrangler started making a rattle noise coming out of the center console. it does it the worst in second and third gear but only when accelerating. it doesnt do it at idle or coasting or on rough roads. took it to the dealer and they said that it was "manual transmition gear rollover lug noise" cant say i've ever heard of that and they said it was normal. am i getting B.S'd or is this legit.
Old 05-21-2013, 12:25 PM
JK Newbie

Sounds like the same noise my 2013 JKUR is making. I was starting to worry and then realized that I could make it stop by putting my hand on the 4X shifter. I think its just the cable vibrating? Let me know if yours acts the same way.

Brian
Old 05-21-2013, 01:13 PM
JK Freak

My 2012 JK has done it since day one. That is why there is a five year power train warranty. It is a truck transmission, so it will make some noise. I didn't buy a car, so I think some rattles are normal.
Old 05-21-2013, 01:39 PM
JK Newbie

Ok. Thanks guys. They said that it was normal and it only did it with the manuals and that they don't make many manuals in the unlimited so they wouldn't expect a recall or a fix. I agree that it is a truck and it will have noise. That wasn't my concern. More of a underlining issue that wasn't going to get resolved. I will try the 4x the next time I'm in it and will let you know
Old 05-21-2013, 08:22 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by lwolfe36
at around 1500 miles my 2013 4 door manual wrangler started making a rattle noise coming out of the center console. it does it the worst in second and third gear but only when accelerating. it doesnt do it at idle or coasting or on rough roads. took it to the dealer and they said that it was "manual transmition gear rollover lug noise" cant say i've ever heard of that and they said it was normal. am i getting B.S'd or is this legit.
"Gear rollover lug noise"? Good lord, that sounds like a load of crap. There seem to be several different types of noises these transmissions make. Some folks can make the noise stop by pushing/pulling on the gearshift or 4x4 shifter. That doesn't fix my noise.

My 2013's tranny noise/rattle/shaking started with 80 miles on the odometer. It shows up between 1800-2200 RPMs in all gears, but only with the engine under load. It is more prominent in gears 1-3, and especially when the outside temp is under 55 degrees. I have a relative that has rebuilt several transmissions while restoring cars (and a couple of Jeeps) and I let him take it for a drive. After 30 seconds he said that was definitely a bad bearing. And since it shows up at the same RPM in each gear, it is almost definitely the input shaft bearing.

My Wrangler Unlimited is going back to the dealership on Friday for the regional(?) tech to have a look. This is trip #3. Trip #1 they replaced the shifter assembly. That didn't fix my noise, but it did make it easier to find 6th gear. Trip #2 was more troubleshooting without a repair attempt. In the interest of helping the dealership troubleshoot I informed them of my relative's diagnosis, but of course they aren't going to crack open a transmission on the word of a second-hand assessment (nor would I). I'm just hoping the guy on Friday either agrees about the bearing or knows of another fix that is actually THE fix.

I love this thing aside from the transmission, but it's embarrassing to drive around in a vehicle with 1000 miles on it rattling through the parking lot at work.

- Dave
Old 05-22-2013, 02:47 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Gear rollover noise ONLY happens in neutral. There shouldn't be any noise while in gear.
My Harley has transmission rollover noise. Only happens in neutral with the clutch engaged.
Pull in the clutch, and it goes away. Neutral Rollover is considered normal and doesn't cause any damage. Noise while in gear, isn't normal. Your dealer is full of crap.
Old 11-09-2013, 07:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Dave any update on your tranny? Did the dealership fix the rattle? I'm having the same thing but only in 4th.

Originally Posted by Orcasupreme
"Gear rollover lug noise"? Good lord, that sounds like a load of crap. There seem to be several different types of noises these transmissions make. Some folks can make the noise stop by pushing/pulling on the gearshift or 4x4 shifter. That doesn't fix my noise.

My 2013's tranny noise/rattle/shaking started with 80 miles on the odometer. It shows up between 1800-2200 RPMs in all gears, but only with the engine under load. It is more prominent in gears 1-3, and especially when the outside temp is under 55 degrees. I have a relative that has rebuilt several transmissions while restoring cars (and a couple of Jeeps) and I let him take it for a drive. After 30 seconds he said that was definitely a bad bearing. And since it shows up at the same RPM in each gear, it is almost definitely the input shaft bearing.

My Wrangler Unlimited is going back to the dealership on Friday for the regional(?) tech to have a look. This is trip #3. Trip #1 they replaced the shifter assembly. That didn't fix my noise, but it did make it easier to find 6th gear. Trip #2 was more troubleshooting without a repair attempt. In the interest of helping the dealership troubleshoot I informed them of my relative's diagnosis, but of course they aren't going to crack open a transmission on the word of a second-hand assessment (nor would I). I'm just hoping the guy on Friday either agrees about the bearing or knows of another fix that is actually THE fix.

I love this thing aside from the transmission, but it's embarrassing to drive around in a vehicle with 1000 miles on it rattling through the parking lot at work.

- Dave
Old 11-10-2013, 06:21 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jonboy74
Dave any update on your tranny? Did the dealership fix the rattle? I'm having the same thing but only in 4th.
Sadly, no. They actually did replace the transmission at around 3,200 miles. It was definitely quieter, to the point where I figured I was just "hearing things" by feeling the slight rumble at 2k RPM where I had the rattle before. But now at 7,500 miles it's definitely back. It's most prominent in 2nd gear. At this point they have replaced the transmission mount(s?), the gear shifter assembly, and the transmission itself. All to no avail.

As soon as I get time I am going to yank out my console and see if I can isolate that transfer case linkage cable everyone talks about and see if that fixes my issue. I'm hoping and praying it does. Once I do I will post back here and let you know if that was it. It doesn't "feel" like that could be the answer, but I know from my experience in tracking down rattles and squeaks that noises and vibrations rarely originate from where you think they do.

I think technically I'm in the realm of having a case to lemon law this thing here in GA, but I really don't want to do that if I can avoid it. I've grown really fond of this Jeep, and the 2014 colors I've seen are all unappealing anyway. I had high hopes for Hydro-blue, but in pics it just looks like a metallic-Cosmo blue.

-- Dave
Old 11-10-2013, 07:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Mines doing the same thing as well but only in first and second. Taking it in on Tuesday for water pump replacement so I will have them check this also
Old 11-10-2013, 07:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Do a search, but it seems to be a common issue not directly related to the transmission itself.

The 3000K rpm rattle seems to be due to a cable housing near the transfer case shifter under the console making contact and causing the rattle.

I can't remember which "JK" forum has a more detailed analysis and fix, but it's out there. I haven't gotten to messing with mine, but usually a little pressure up or down on the transfer case shifter usually works.

Now the noisy throw out bearing issues????? Yea, that seems like a JK standard.

Quick Reply: "manual transmition gear rollover lug noise"