Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Manual Tranny Sloppy?

Old 02-15-2015, 05:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Manual Tranny Sloppy?

Okay so my 08 has around 78,000 miles on it and the manual shifter seems kind of "sloppy" for lack of better words. I feel like I'm hitting something shifting into second and sometimes have a very difficult time getting it into reverse all the way. Otherwise it shifts fine. Any suggestions on what this could be?
Old 02-15-2015, 05:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by scafootballpro5
Okay so my 08 has around 78,000 miles on it and the manual shifter seems kind of "sloppy" for lack of better words. I feel like I'm hitting something shifting into second and sometimes have a very difficult time getting it into reverse all the way. Otherwise it shifts fine. Any suggestions on what this could be?
Have you had it pop out of gear yet? My second gear is the same and I just had all my stuff fixed 12 months ago. Reverse will only usually do that to you in a full parking lot.
Old 02-15-2015, 06:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bevan7170
Have you had it pop out of gear yet? My second gear is the same and I just had all my stuff fixed 12 months ago. Reverse will only usually do that to you in a full parking lot.
What do you mean a full parking lot? It hasn't popped out of gear yet and doesn't seem like it will.
Old 02-15-2015, 06:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

On occasion I thought I'd had it fully in reverse, come off the clutch to the sound of the gears grinding. It only happens in full parking lots where other people can hear it. Never outside my house where no one else can hear it!

If and when it does pop out it'll feel like you have been rear ended. It's horrible.
Old 02-16-2015, 08:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bevan7170
On occasion I thought I'd had it fully in reverse, come off the clutch to the sound of the gears grinding. It only happens in full parking lots where other people can hear it. Never outside my house where no one else can hear it! If and when it does pop out it'll feel like you have been rear ended. It's horrible.
I thought that's what you meant! Same thing happens to me. Makes me feel like the worst stick driver. Any idea how to fix this?
Old 02-16-2015, 08:40 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Subscribed, I have the same issues and occasionally it will pop out in 1st gear. Like you mentioned it will shock you every time.
Old 02-16-2015, 09:13 AM
Former Member

On my twelve there was a service bulliten on on replacing the inner and outer shift boots. They did that first but it still didn't correct the issue so they replaced the third to fourth gear shift assembly and havnt had any issues yet
Old 02-16-2015, 10:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like syncros going bad I know there's been a lot on 1st 3rd and 6th and a jeep service bulletin on it.. Had my changed for free on my 07. For the 2nd gear thing I had to take out my lower shift boot. Then the problem went away. Put it back on and it fixed itself probably was loose or not secure enough from the start you might want to try that for a hopeful fix
Old 02-16-2015, 10:49 AM
Ncb
JK Super Freak

The slop might just be from age/miles. Second gear in my 2009 has always made a bit of noise when it's cold. Every vehicle I've owned has never always just popped into reverse. Sometimes it requires shifting to another gear, then going to reverse.
Old 02-16-2015, 10:50 AM
Ncb
JK Super Freak

Are you changing the fluid every 30,000 miles? I notice smoother shifting after replacing the fluid.

Quick Reply: Manual Tranny Sloppy?