Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Malfunctioning horn???

Old 04-15-2008, 10:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Malfunctioning horn???

This past weekend it was absolutely beautiful and I had the top down and doors off, however that night I was at a party and failed to put them back on and of course it rained...now my horn nolonger "honks" and today on my way back from lunch it started randomly goin off (I literally gave a poor old man a heartattack)...I had to punch the steering wheel to make it stop...

Any suggestions to what is wrong??? Just the water and it needs to dry out??? Please help!!!!!!!!
Old 04-15-2008, 10:28 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeah. It got wet. Look in FRONT of the wheel and you'll see 3 holes around the horn button. You can fit a standard screwdriver in each one, turn it 90 degrees and unlock the horn button. Now, before you do this, DISCONNECT THE BATTERY and wait for about three minutes. The air bag is in the horn button and you don't want it going off. Once you take it off, you can unplug it and set it aside.....GENTLY. Then get a hair dryer and dry off the horn contacts on the wheel. Plug the horn button back in, pop it on and you're done.

Disclaimer: You're doin this at your own risk. If you blow your face off, you did it, not me.
Old 04-15-2008, 10:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the ridiculously fast reply and great directions!!!! I'll have to check it out tonight when I get outta work...
Old 04-15-2008, 10:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

It wasn't just a little rain it was more like down pour rain...lots and lots of rain...
Old 04-15-2008, 10:32 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
Y

Disclaimer: You're doin this at your own risk. If you blow your face off, you did it, not me.
LOOK at his avatar, he already has no face!
Old 04-15-2008, 05:19 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Damn. You ain't right.
Old 04-15-2008, 05:30 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by yetibear
LOOK at his avatar, he already has no face!
Old 04-17-2008, 06:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Location: Christiana, Tennessee, United States, United States
Default Horn replaced

I have had to have my horn replaced already and need to have it replaced again, Every time i play in the mud or watter my horn dies and if you go to honk it or go to set the alarm, it sound like a dieing cat coughing into a kazoo. Any suggestions on how to protect the horn from dieing again, yes i know the horn is usless but its nice to have in traffic so people know when they are getting the finger, plus its so annoying to have something that doesnt work right
Old 04-17-2008, 09:40 AM
JK Newbie

My horn got mud or got wet months ago. Just yesterday I was holding down my horn joking with my friend and it coughed up something and started working like normal again. Guess it just had a hairball to get rid of
Old 04-17-2008, 06:25 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by nate5238
My horn got mud or got wet months ago. Just yesterday I was holding down my horn joking with my friend and it coughed up something and started working like normal again. Guess it just had a hairball to get rid of
gas......

Quick Reply: Malfunctioning horn???