Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Maintenance: What needs greased, lube'd and cleaned?

Old 05-09-2011, 10:35 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maintenance: What needs greased, lube'd and cleaned?

So its nearly 30,000 mile maintenance time and the question can up what needs to be done. I've changed the oil & filter, replaced the air filter and cleaned the intake area. I changed the front and rear differential fluid and rotated the tires. What's next? The scheduled maintenance plan I had from Chrysler originally includes the following:

* lubricate from drive shaft fitting
* lubricate outer tie rod ends

Any thoughts on this? Anything else that needs to be lubricated or greased? Any preference on lubrication type?
Old 05-09-2011, 10:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Subscribed!
Old 05-09-2011, 10:50 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by doctorspears
* lubricate from drive shaft fitting
* lubricate outer tie rod ends ...
Well, I just do what Chrysler calls for. And anything aftermarket that has a grease fitting--which is just about everything aftermarket. As for the driveshaft fitting and tie rod ends, not certain why Chrysler would say to do these since there aren't any grease fittings on the stock hardware. And, my '07 maintenance procedures (from the owner's manual) do not mention either one.
Old 05-09-2011, 11:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

There are no grease fittings anywhere! I looked yesturday to lube everything but there was nothing to be found.
Old 05-09-2011, 11:25 AM
JK Newbie

I have not found any grease fitting either. I imagine something needs greased or lube'd but not sure what. Other than lubrication, any other maintenance worth doing @ 30K?
Old 05-09-2011, 11:33 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

any other maintenance worth doing @ 30K?
Trans fluid and filter? Transfer case fluid?
Old 05-09-2011, 11:34 AM
JK Super Freak

I have not found any grease fitting either. I imagine something needs greased or lube'd but not sure what. Other than lubrication, any other maintenance worth doing @ 30K?
I don't know if you included this when you mentioned changing oils, but since you're at 30K, have you changed your transfer case and transmission fluids? There's a good set of write-ups on Project-JK.

(I'm only thinking of this because now I'm at 60K and need to do the same thing. )

Quick Reply: Maintenance: What needs greased, lube'd and cleaned?