Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

M*%@ F#&^ axle seals!!!

Old 09-30-2009, 07:09 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default M*%@ F#&^ axle seals!!!

Front pass. side just replaced for the 4th time.
While it was being done, they said the driver's side was just starting to leak as well, so I had them do both.
It's been 5 days and the driver's side is already leaking oil all over the place again.
I'm sure the pass. side will be AGAIN too, it's just a matter of time.

I am at my witts end and don't know wtf to do at this point. I'VE HAD IT!
:tear sdrip:
Old 09-30-2009, 09:24 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

sounds like either a bad run of poorly manufactured seals that aren't doing their job...
or axle shafts themselves were manufactured with an imperfection, but that's pretty extreme
or your housing has some warpage or something wrong that's allowing leak by, again pretty extreme but not out of the world of possibilites

have the dealership inspect all the above...cause somethings off...i've got many many a miles under my ride even after I've completely stripped down my front axle in the garage, left the original seals in and I have absolutely zero issues with leaks
Old 09-30-2009, 01:40 PM
JK Newbie

I was in the same boat as you on my '08 Rubi Unlmted. The passenger side front seal had been replaced 4 times and a new front right shaft as well. Still leaked!! This time the dealer ordered a new front axle housing with new seals and put my old axle guts into the new housing. I have just completed a 3200 miles trip to Colorado with lots of trail time, highway time, and in general banging around and low and behold..NO LEAKS. I did have an esp/bas stability error thrown on my way up and had to keep turning that feature off, but all else was great. When I got back I went and had the alignment checked and turns out it was a bit off. Now the esp/bas error has stopped. I suspect that after the new axle housing was installed the front end was just enough off to send an error occasionally. Try to get your dealer to go for a new front end axle assembly but if they won't you should at least get the new axle housing. Let us know what you do.
Old 09-30-2009, 02:26 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by techmule
Try to get your dealer to go for a new front end axle assembly but if they won't you should at least get the new axle housing. Let us know what you do.
I will try, but it's going to be difficult for a few reasons.
I am out of warranty now, but this has been going on since well before my warranty expired.
Part of the problem is that my job moves me around the country frequently, and so I can't stick with one dealer to work through this with Chrysler. Every place wants to start fresh and look at it themselves, replace the seals and see what happens. I've had 3 different dealers fix this (2 I trust).
Fortunately I have only had to pay for the replacement one time.
Obviously there is something wrong with my axle!
Old 09-30-2009, 02:29 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Upgrade to a set of RCV Performance CV style front shafts with a set of 10Factory seals....should fix all your problems.
Old 09-30-2009, 02:39 PM
JK Freak

sounds like a bent housing for sure.
Old 09-30-2009, 02:52 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by moabjk072d
sounds like a bent housing for sure.
x2 it's ridiculous
Old 11-02-2009, 12:00 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by JPTwinz
Upgrade to a set of RCV Performance CV style front shafts with a set of 10Factory seals....should fix all your problems.
What are 10 factory seals.
Old 11-02-2009, 12:08 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by horwitzs
......so I had them do both.
You ended your quote with which means "don't know". I got news for you. Unless you learn to work on your rig yourself and diagnose it correctly, you never will know. Axle seals are easy peasy to replace. If you do it yourself, you'll hit yourself in the head with a hammer for letting anyone else do it for you. It's that simple. Why not get a new Haynes manual and read up on it and give it a go? Not only will you save money, but you'll learn something.
Old 11-02-2009, 12:10 PM
JK Super Freak

Update:
Couldn't get a new housing, but new axle shafts and seals were installed a few weeks ago.
It's been about 1500 miles and no sign of leaks. I think we may have nailed it this time. I sure hope so anyway.

I have some sleeves and gussets in the garage that need installed... I'm almost afraid to do it for fear of starting another leak.

Quick Reply: M*%@ F#&^ axle seals!!!