Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Lug nuts creaking/popping/snapping. Why?

Old 04-29-2013, 09:54 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lug nuts creaking/popping/snapping. Why?

'07 JK. ~132,xxx miles.

I've taken my factory wheels and lug nuts on and off so many times over the years, that 'something' has worn out and is causing the lug nuts to stick upon install and removal. They creak, pop, and snap when removing them. Recently they've been sticking so bad that I bent the factory lug wrench trying to take them off.

So what's worn out here... is the studs? Is it the lug nuts? Or the tapered seats on the factory wheels?

Last edited by yo_marc; 04-29-2013 at 09:59 AM.
Old 04-29-2013, 11:24 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It sounds as if the threads have worn down to the point that they are not aligning properly and skipping over each other. I'd replace both the lug nuts and studs before they start snapping off. Stay away from impact guns too, always torque to 95ft lbs.
Old 04-29-2013, 11:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I place a dab of grease on the studs with every other tire rotation in order to prevent the problem that you're describing. In addition, it may be time to replace the lugs nuts. Sounds like you've gotten a full life from them, and that it's time for a new set. If you notice that the grooves in the studs have worn down, then you should replace the studs as well.
Old 04-29-2013, 11:56 AM
JK Super Freak

Thanks guys.

I just rotated the tires this weekend, and the studs looked good... and everything works ok up to the point of putting any actual torque to the lug nuts. I'm quite positive that nothing is cross threading or that the threads are slipping. The lugs bite well -- its just a ton of stiction.

There are factory take-off lugnuts for sale near me locally, so I was looking to grab them. I'm really hoping I don't have to go around popping in new studs too.
Old 04-29-2013, 12:33 PM
JK Freak

I think Tripletsi is right. It sounds like your studs/nuts have had some stretch. Replacing only one half could actually make your situation worse. You should use anti-seize on them to help keep this from happening in the future as also mentioned earlier.
Old 04-29-2013, 12:42 PM
Ncb
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lug nuts that are cranked on too tight will make the noises you describe when removed. I rotate the tires every 3K miles for 40,000 miles now and don't have any issues. How does the mating surfaces of the wheel/lug nut look? Is it galled up?

Last edited by Ncb; 04-29-2013 at 02:00 PM.
Old 04-29-2013, 02:36 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Ncb
Lug nuts that are cranked on too tight will make the noises you describe when removed. I rotate the tires every 3K miles for 40,000 miles now and don't have any issues. How does the mating surfaces of the wheel/lug nut look? Is it galled up?
Ncb addresses the most probable cause of the sticking and popping. It's the mating surfaces between the nuts and wheels.
I clean those surfaces on the nuts and wheels, and wire brush the threads at each removal. Never torque to more than 92 to 132 ft/lbs.

It's not a good idea to apply oil, grease, or anti-seize in this application. The threads and nut/wheel mating surfaces must be clean and dry. The torque value given for the lug nuts assumes clean, dry threads. Lug nut security depends on it, too.

This is from the JK factory service manual:

WHEEL INSTALLATION

The wheel studs and nuts are designed for specific applications. They must be replaced with equivalent parts. Do not use replacement parts of lesser quality or a substitute design. All aluminum and some steel wheels have wheel stud nuts which feature an enlarged nose. This enlarged nose is necessary to ensure proper retention of the aluminum wheels.

NOTE: Do not use chrome plated lug nuts with chrome plated wheels.

Before installing the wheel, be sure to remove any build up of corrosion on the wheel mounting surfaces. Ensure wheels are installed with good metal-to-metal contact. Improper installation could cause loosening of wheel nuts. This could affect the safety and handling of your vehicle.

To install the wheel, first position it properly on the mounting surface. All wheel nuts should then be tightened just snug.

Gradually tighten them in sequence to the proper torque specification . Never use oil or grease on studs or nuts.

[TABLE]
[TR]
[TD="bgcolor: white"]Lug Nut 1/2 X 20 with 60° Cone
[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: white"][/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: white"]92-132 ft/lbs
[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: white"]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="bgcolor: white"]Spare Wheel Lug Nut
[/TD]
[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: white"]40–80 ft/lbs
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

Last edited by ronjenx; 04-29-2013 at 02:46 PM.
Old 04-29-2013, 07:57 PM
JK Newbie

If these are the stock lug nuts the shell is likely just loose. the stainless outer shell stretches and seperates from the lug - so it torques funny and makes the lug wrench feel like it is skipping when removing or tightening. Replace them.

I wire brush the studs and give a coat of antisieze before installing the lugs.
Old 04-30-2013, 01:35 AM
Former Member

Lubing is a very bad idea and could have the vehicle pulled off the road if caught in an inspection.
The other way to find out is after a wheel happens to fly across a highway and kills someone
If you REALLY feel lube is required there's a red flag.
Old 04-30-2013, 02:17 AM
JK Freak

Don't confuse anti-seize with lube, they are very different. Anti-seize is fine and used by Chrysler both at the factory and at the dealers. My Jeep has just over 3k miles. The wheels were taken off for the first time this weekend. There was anti-seize on the threads from the factory. So much in fact that I didn't add any and actually wiped a little off.

Last edited by jnabird333; 04-30-2013 at 03:55 AM.

Quick Reply: Lug nuts creaking/popping/snapping. Why?