Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

from low to high

Old 09-04-2007, 03:15 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default from low to high

Hi everyone, my jk shifts fine into low range but is still quite stiff when moving back into 4 high, usually I find it easier to shift all the way into 2 high and then back into 4 high. It is becoming easier I must admit with continued use. What's everyone's experience with older models? does the transfer box continue to loosen up. We've got 3200 kms on the clock right now (it's only a 7 min drive to where I work and the weekends are the only time the wife and I get to go wheelin). (unrelated question - when I was a kid in the UK I used to watch Dukes of Hazard, am I right in thinking the main female character drove a wrangler? think her name in the show was daisy? .. just curious
Old 09-04-2007, 03:24 PM
JK Freak

the old Golden Eagle...if i was a chic i would make a retro clone for sure
Old 09-04-2007, 03:35 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks, it's the first memory I have of a Jeep. I remember thinking how cool it looked at the time
Old 09-04-2007, 03:43 PM
JK Freak

it also said Dixie on the side of the hood not golden eagle but we wont get technical will we
Old 09-04-2007, 10:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yea the first few shifts through out the transfer case were REALLY stiff. I was wondering If I was damaging the gears when I was shifting. But after a while it really opened up and Its not all that difficult anymore. It helps a lot to do it as its rolling forward a little especially for shifting into 4lo which is required I believe.
Old 09-05-2007, 05:07 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've found the shift back to be a little more particular. I try to do the 1-2 mph and it shifts fine into gear. I think it's the Jeep just complaining about getting ready to go back to the pavement.
Old 09-05-2007, 05:49 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have never been able to get from 4-low to 4-high in one clean shift. I always have to go all the way back up to 2 and then back down to 4-hi, if I need it. Otherwise, if I try to go straight to 4-hi from 4-lo, I always end up stuck in neutral .

I also have to use both hands to shift in to low.... everytime I try with just one hand, I get stuck in neutral again....

Of course, I probably shouldn't be admitting this stuff-- but it's true.
Old 01-26-2009, 05:40 PM
JK Newbie

Did my first low range driving on the week-end. High to low was easy, but I surely got a crunch from the transfer case going back to high. I guess I was doing 5mph when this happened, maybe too fast.
Old 01-26-2009, 05:46 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by pezeveng319
Yea the first few shifts through out the transfer case were REALLY stiff. I was wondering If I was damaging the gears when I was shifting. But after a while it really opened up and Its not all that difficult anymore. It helps a lot to do it as its rolling forward a little especially for shifting into 4lo which is required I believe.
x2 my experience has been exactly the same
Old 02-13-2009, 09:26 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, & make sure your fingers are clear when you give the lever that almighty shove from 4L to 2H; hurts like hell when you catch them between the lever & the console!

Quick Reply: from low to high