Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Low beams not working

Old 03-03-2014, 04:12 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Low beams not working

2008 Wrangler, 82,000 miles. Low beams stopped working this weekend. High beams, parking lights and turn signals all work. H4 kit with Susquehanna motorsports wiring harness wired to separate fuse box. Stock headlight switch only puts out power to activate relays for current headlights. Removed multifunction switch and used keyless entry to try to flash headlights, parking lamps flashed, no joy for headlights so I don't think it could be the MFN switch. Has anyone else had a problem like this? Ground is shared with high beams so I don't think that is it either. Help!! Worst case scenario I will retire low beams to a separate switch but would rather not because it would be a pita.
Old 03-03-2014, 04:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not familiar with the system you are describing, but are you sure both bulbs are good?
Old 03-03-2014, 04:49 PM
JK Newbie

Bought and installed new bulbs yesterday, my first thought was my luck would have both bulbs go at the same time.
Old 03-04-2014, 04:43 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like the switch is acting up to me. Or maybe a fuse?
Old 03-04-2014, 09:46 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Collyn
Sounds like the switch is acting up to me. Or maybe a fuse?
that would be my thought to I know on our school buses when the dimmer switch goes out it causes this same issue
Old 03-07-2014, 10:19 AM
JK Newbie

Removed the switch and operated key fob, parking lights blinked but no low beams.
Fortunately/ unfortunately I hit a bump and the headlights came back on so I know I have a loose wire somewhere but cannot diagnose it until it goes out again.
Old 03-07-2014, 10:38 AM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BigMoe
Removed the switch and operated key fob, parking lights blinked but no low beams. Fortunately/ unfortunately I hit a bump and the headlights came back on so I know I have a loose wire somewhere but cannot diagnose it until it goes out again.
Both sides went out / came back on?

Strange. Might be the stalk.
Old 03-07-2014, 10:54 AM
JK Newbie

Hey BigMoe,

I have the Susquehanna motorsports wiring harness installed as well (Product page with picture here so you can confirm it's the same part), and the 1st thing I thought of was the relays - if you haven't already tried it I think your low beam relay could be acting up - I'm fairly sure they're identical, so you should be able to just swap them to test, if the lows work and the highs don't then you've found your culprit.

Hope this helps & Good Luck either way!

EDIT: Oops, looks like I missed that your lights are working again after driving over a bump - seems less likely to be relay related...

Last edited by Jason08JK; 03-07-2014 at 11:19 AM. Reason: Noted additional details missed previously
Old 03-08-2014, 08:45 AM
JK Newbie

Lost low beams again last night, this morning I pulled the TIPM unit out and checked the wires to the headlights, not sure which is lo/high, white -gray and white - brown. Lights came back on but not sure what was loose and where? Has anyone else had issues like this?
Old 03-08-2014, 08:50 AM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BigMoe
Lost low beams again last night, this morning I pulled the TIPM unit out and checked the wires to the headlights, not sure which is lo/high, white -gray and white - brown. Lights came back on but not sure what was loose and where? Has anyone else had issues like this?
Ronjenx did a tear down of a TIPM.

Might be some info on that thread.

Quick Reply: Low beams not working