Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Lots of snow...lets talk recovery.

Old 02-11-2011, 05:15 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by tjp80
all morons
Well, it's nice of you to show up so you can straighten everyone out.
Old 02-11-2011, 05:15 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by RedJK2
Thanks for the detailed post! Can you explain what you mean by a bowline knot in the chain? Here is a standard bowline knot:

I'll get back--have to run to an appt right now.
Old 02-11-2011, 05:20 AM
EzK
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Easy way to hook two straps is to put something(1" diameter wooden dowel) in between the when you loop them together. It keeps them from knotting on you. There are pics of this all over the place. Good thing to carry if you have multiple straps. Also remember when you tie a strap you lose strength, the amount you lose with certain knots may shock you.
Old 02-11-2011, 06:01 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

all morons

I smell a TROLL...
Old 02-11-2011, 06:19 AM
JK Freak

all morons
And that's your first post?? Way to be a constructive contributor to the forum
Old 02-11-2011, 06:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

all morons
Old 02-11-2011, 07:16 AM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Well, it's nice of you to show up so you can straighten everyone out.
my first thought was that his comment was directed at you but then I figured he was only referring to the videos. At least I hope so.

lurker turned troll?
probably just some kid driving mom's jk
Old 02-11-2011, 10:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by evan631
So it seems like a lot of us have had a tremendous amount of snow.

Let's talk about recovery.

I myself am a noob to the Jeep (only been driving Sahara Unlimited since Dec.) With the Jeep completely stock and my inexperience I wouldn't even know how to help someone out.

I know I have the two hooks in the front bumper, and the one on the driver side rear. What sort of straps would i need to use with these hooks? What do you suggest i buy? How would you hook them up, etc?

Where would you recommend hooking to someones car? I know my Honda had some hooks on the underside, but i would guess most cars do not have hooks.

What are your experiences recovering people in the snow?

-Evan
you need a tow strap. I woud avoid anything with metal hooks, cuz if the strap were to break that hook is now a dangerous projectile. In terms of helping recover people, I can't even count the amount of vehicles I pulled out this winter (I live in Queens NY as well)generally I look to strap on to the tow hitch if available, or factory hooks, recovery points etc. If it is a german car BMW, AUDI, VW, Porsche, Benz, Lexus (although not german) etc they all have a tow hook in the tool kit in the trunk, you pop out the little plastic square cover on either front or rear bumper screw the hook into the hole and that is your recovery point. Generally rule that I follow if I can't find somewhere that I think I can safely hook onto I'm not hooking up. If the person is insistant on it, I'll do it but I make sure that there is an understanding that they are the one hooking it up and that they will be and are responsible to any damage done to their vehicle.

The only time I really ran into an issue with that was recently a pair of chinese dudes in flushing were stuck in an infinity fx truck. I had no where to hook up so as far as i was concerned i was gone. But this kid was persistant, and wanted me to push him I told him no way that i would ruin his bumper and tail light and possibily scuff up my own. End result he had probably 2500 in damage I had a minor dimple in my already beat stock bumper and he gave me 300 for it. He was just so desperate to get home he didn't care. lol.

Bottom line hook up to a recovery point and you will not have a problem. You can even make a good amount of money out there in NYC. Good luck and congrats on your Jeep.
Old 02-11-2011, 10:26 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by RedJK2
Thanks for the detailed post! Can you explain what you mean by a bowline knot in the chain? Here is a standard bowline knot:

4x4now.com/images/sf0100k.jpg
Old 02-11-2011, 10:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by evan631
So it seems like a lot of us have had a tremendous amount of snow.

Let's talk about recovery.

I myself am a noob to the Jeep (only been driving Sahara Unlimited since Dec.) With the Jeep completely stock and my inexperience I wouldn't even know how to help someone out.

I know I have the two hooks in the front bumper, and the one on the driver side rear. What sort of straps would i need to use with these hooks? What do you suggest i buy? How would you hook them up, etc?

Where would you recommend hooking to someones car? I know my Honda had some hooks on the underside, but i would guess most cars do not have hooks.

What are your experiences recovering people in the snow?

-Evan
by the way if you park on the street in NY don't be surprised if your spare tire is missing one morning. It happens all the time. Hopefully it doesn't happen to you but if it does I have 4 spares lol. (someone stole the 5th).

Quick Reply: Lots of snow...lets talk recovery.