Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Lots of snow...lets talk recovery.

Old 02-03-2011, 11:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lots of snow...lets talk recovery.

So it seems like a lot of us have had a tremendous amount of snow.

Let's talk about recovery.

I myself am a noob to the Jeep (only been driving Sahara Unlimited since Dec.) With the Jeep completely stock and my inexperience I wouldn't even know how to help someone out.

I know I have the two hooks in the front bumper, and the one on the driver side rear. What sort of straps would i need to use with these hooks? What do you suggest i buy? How would you hook them up, etc?

Where would you recommend hooking to someones car? I know my Honda had some hooks on the underside, but i would guess most cars do not have hooks.

What are your experiences recovering people in the snow?

-Evan
Old 02-03-2011, 11:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by evan631
So it seems like a lot of us have had a tremendous amount of snow.

Let's talk about recovery.

I myself am a noob to the Jeep (only been driving Sahara Unlimited since Dec.) With the Jeep completely stock and my inexperience I wouldn't even know how to help someone out.

I know I have the two hooks in the front bumper, and the one on the driver side rear. What sort of straps would i need to use with these hooks? What do you suggest i buy? How would you hook them up, etc?

Where would you recommend hooking to someones car? I know my Honda had some hooks on the underside, but i would guess most cars do not have hooks.

What are your experiences recovering people in the snow?

-Evan

So a a general rule use there recovery points, And if all else fails let them hook it up. Some people will be pricks if there car is damaged.

Also if you look at any of the major 4x4 sites they have a few recovery kits to look at.

As for pulling someone out of ditch just attempt it slow and easy at first you don't have to "snatch" some one out of the ditch unless they dug a GIANT hole for themselves. I live in the south so not a lot of roadside recovery down here mostly stuck in mud wich is a different game.
Old 02-03-2011, 11:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tweakecho
So a a general rule use there recovery points, And if all else fails let them hook it up. Some people will be pricks if there car is damaged.

Also if you look at any of the major 4x4 sites they have a few recovery kits to look at.

As for pulling someone out of ditch just attempt it slow and easy at first you don't have to "snatch" some one out of the ditch unless they dug a GIANT hole for themselves. I live in the south so not a lot of roadside recovery down here mostly stuck in mud wich is a different game.
This kind of mud...

"Mona Lisa Vito: It's a limited slip differential which distributes power equally to both the right and left tires. The '64 Skylark had a regular differential, which, anyone who's been stuck in the mud in Alabama knows, you step on the gas, one tire spins, the other tire does nothing."
Old 02-03-2011, 11:44 AM
JK Newbie

For a vehicle to vehicle recovery, you would want a snatch strap/kinetic recovery strap. Preferably one with a breaking point of 3 times the vehicles weight. These straps have a percentage of stretch associated with them that aids the recovery efforts.
Old 02-03-2011, 12:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Well I spent 2 days through the blizzard we got here in Chicago pulling people out and this is what I learned.

1. First and most important, make sure you clearly state to them that your willing to help them but your not a professional and any damage caused is not your responsibility and ask them if that's ok with them. there were so many cars to help out here if they hesitated or scratched there chin I moved on to the next stuck car.

2. the recovery straps you want are the ones withought hooks on them. I agree you should let them hook to there car if they will but out of all the cars I helped only 3 did it themselves. you cant expect the elderly etc (the ones who needed the most help) to do that.

3. Other supplies: I had a small folding military shovel that everyone laughed at when they first looked at it but it worked great for digging in tight spots and under cars that had snow up to there frame. A regular snow shovel for the big stuff. steel D rings that were waaay overkill in terms of there strength. Mainly because the cotter pins are so large that you can easily manage them with gloves on.

4. I would say 10% of the cars I helped actually had a place to attach a strap and about 80% required the D ring to attach to that point since the strap itself wouldn't fit through the eyelet. the other 90% I had to loop around there axle wich wasnt easy to dig to most times.

5. If the car thats stuck is a beater and you like me dont mind adding a few scuffs to your bumper just ask them like I did if they want you to just push them out but make sure they are clear this will most likely scratch there bumper and your not responsible. most said "I dont care just get me the &*^&* outa hear".

6. dont underestimate the skinny 16 inch stock steelies. I swapped mine out the day i bought my car and from the suggestion of a few people (I was hesitant) but had them siped and re-mounted for the blizzard and after pulling out a rubicon, more than a few H3's a Montgomery, Il Police SUV, Huge ComEd lookin truck, and countless other vehicles (one of wich left it in park rather than neutral or reverse) I am soooo glad I did. them little pizza cutters got me through anything and everything I asked them to till around 5am that night.
Old 02-03-2011, 12:09 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is a pic of the type of recovery strap you want. I carry at least 2 of them. Some have the plain ends like this one, others have leather/vinyl type wrapped ends which tend to hold up better

You should also look onto some type of recovery kit. Many of the JKF sponsors sell them and can probably put together a package that can match your needs. Or you could buy something like the Rugged Ridge winch accessory kit if you want to stay with a pre-packaged one and have a winch.

As far as hooking up to someone's else car, thjat's a tough one since most cars don't have recovery points. I did a recovery on a Pontiac and we had to wrap the strap around his axle. Due to the guy being a moron, he began to drive away to the side after we pulled him out BEFORE we got the strap off which ended up getting torn to shreds by his wheel. Lucky for him it didn;t cause any damage to his car.
Old 02-03-2011, 12:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just don't do it like this guy... (skip to 1:25 for hilarity to ensue)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrjWEv8pGWY
Old 02-03-2011, 01:04 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Spend some time in the JK Off-Road 101 area. Lots of great threads to read through.
Old 02-03-2011, 02:44 PM
JK Freak

That video is awesome. It truely makes you appreciate your jeep. You'd never even think about parking and getting stuck in snow that deep
Old 02-03-2011, 05:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

thanks for all the good ideas!

Quick Reply: Lots of snow...lets talk recovery.