Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Lost a roof panel on the Hwy!

Old 02-12-2009, 05:48 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Lost a roof panel on the Hwy!

So just before I went in to a 6:30 pm class I realized that it was gonna' rain. I put the front to panels on in a hurry and didn't secure them (jackass). When I came out of class at 9 pm I drove off onto the highway. Once on the highway i hear a lot of air coming and realized that the front two panels weren't secured. Instead of grabbing the latches and holding them down until I could get the visor out of the way and then securing them, I touched the panel, which in turn lifted it and whooosh......it peeled away into the night. I pulled over, found out that no one was hurt and retrieved my panel. I happened to be right next to the on ramp where traffic is controlled by a red light so I was safe. It's busted up and needs to be replaced (moparpartsamerica has it for $303) but I spray painted it and hammered on the busted latch to keep it going until I get the new part. Although it has some tears in the fiberglass, it still fits, doesn't look too bad and seals as well as before. Question: Does anyone know where I can get just a replacement LATCH or a used panel. I guess It's a Jeep thing now. P.S. Please tell me how much of an idiot I am (cause I know it's coming).
Old 02-12-2009, 05:53 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man, that must be something like being shot and missed. Thank goodness you are OK and no one else got involved.

-meljr
Old 02-12-2009, 05:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK, you're an idiot You asked for it
Old 02-12-2009, 05:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats the funniest jeep thing.....
Old 02-12-2009, 06:04 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by justinstoffregen
So just before I went in to a 6:30 pm class I realized that it was gonna' rain. I put the front to panels on in a hurry and didn't secure them (jackass). When I came out of class at 9 pm I drove off onto the highway. Once on the highway i hear a lot of air coming and realized that the front two panels weren't secured. Instead of grabbing the latches and holding them down until I could get the visor out of the way and then securing them, I touched the panel, which in turn lifted it and whooosh......it peeled away into the night. I pulled over, found out that no one was hurt and retrieved my panel. I happened to be right next to the on ramp where traffic is controlled by a red light so I was safe. It's busted up and needs to be replaced (moparpartsamerica has it for $303) but I spray painted it and hammered on the busted latch to keep it going until I get the new part. Although it has some tears in the fiberglass, it still fits, doesn't look too bad and seals as well as before. Question: Does anyone know where I can get just a replacement LATCH or a used panel. I guess It's a Jeep thing now. P.S. Please tell me how much of an idiot I am (cause I know it's coming).
I have one panel I need to go out and see what side it fit's, Do you need a driver or passenger side?
Old 02-12-2009, 06:16 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by renegadelt1
I have one panel I need to go out and see what side it fit's, Do you need a driver or passenger side?
Driver, sir. Thank you for taking the time.
Old 02-12-2009, 06:21 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by justinstoffregen
Driver, sir. Thank you for taking the time.
Damit man I have a passenger side, I will check in the morning with my friend he had a pair That was not in use It's been a long time but I will check.
Sorry man
Old 02-12-2009, 06:24 PM
JK Super Freak

Glad nothing else got damaged and no one hurt. I've been on our freeways and it is some nasty stuff some nights. On my way home from dinner there was a 6 block stretch of regular road blocked off... Not fun.
Hope you get a cheap replacement.
Old 02-12-2009, 06:35 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by renegadelt1
Damit man I have a passenger side, I will check in the morning with my friend he had a pair That was not in use It's been a long time but I will check.
Sorry man
Damn! Thanks for checking. Please let me know. I really appreciate it, man.
Old 02-12-2009, 06:56 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't feel too bad, I did that once on my old Camaro. I left the passenger's side T-top unlocked, and I floored it onto an on-ramp and once I hit 70, whoosh, the top went up about 30 feet in the air and flew into the grass on the side of the highway. I went back on the access road next to the highway, but it was in about a million pieces. Luckily, it didn't hit anything, but it cost me $600 for a replacement set of tops.

Quick Reply: Lost a roof panel on the Hwy!