Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Lost almost all engine compression overnight?!

Old 03-16-2017, 05:14 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by zstairlessone
Think about replacing the timing belt and water pump while it is convenient.

Do you really mean timing belt?
Old 03-16-2017, 05:20 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ronjenx
Do you really mean timing belt?
You're in there - inspect it, the part is cheap and the labor is already done, just saying... (Yes they do fail)
Old 03-16-2017, 05:38 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by zstairlessone
You're in there - inspect it, the part is cheap and the labor is already done, just saying... (Yes they do fail)
What I was getting at is, the 3.8L has no timing belt.
Old 03-17-2017, 05:14 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ronjenx
What I was getting at is, the 3.8L has no timing belt.
Right, it is a chain running on sprockets and is expected to last around 200,000 miles but they do stretch and do have a finite life. He isn't far from half life, since I am keeping mine for life I would choose not to go back in to it 5 years on but move that out to ten to twelve years. Again, only because he is already in there and just something to think about.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:40 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another update:
Assembly should have started on Saturday but I ordered new connecting rod bolts (since they're single use) and I was supposed to receive 12 but only received 1. As of now, I can't do anything further until I have the new bolts. It has given me a little more time to clean clean and clean some more. If anyone would like to double-check my work and make sure I haven't forgotten any steps that would be great! I will list the parts and what I've done to them:

Heads:
Cleaned mating surfaces
Lapped Valves
Replaced seals
Checked seals with water
Cleaned all passages thoroughly

Block:
Cleaned mating surfaces
Checked end gaps on new rings
Honed cylinders (checked end gap before and after)
Cleaned all passages thoroughly

Pistons:
Cleaned all carbon off
Installed new rings
Double-checked new rings are installed in correct direction
Inspected bearings and cleaned surfaces
Replacing rod cap bolts

Lower Intake:
Cleaned mating surfaces

Exhaust:
Replaced with headers and wrapped w/ exhaust wrap and coated with protective silicone spray

PCV valve was replaced recently and I don't plan on replacing my EGR valve until something happens to it (It's not too difficult to access if I need to replace it in the future.)

I'm sure there's more I've done to it but I'm probably forgetting some of the stuff. If anyone would like to chime in and double check anything to make sure I haven't missed any steps that would be great! I've checked clearances on just about everything but there are a few things I can't check just because I don't have the proper tools. I'm really rolling the dice on the things I can't check, but the engine was never overheated and so far all the clearances I can check have been spot on. Honing doesn't look as good as I was hoping (this was my first time honing). The pictures tend to make it looks really rough and too steep of angles but all the marks are about 60 degrees.
Couple more pictures I took...
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wrapped Headers.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	3.66 MB
ID:	668734Click image for larger version

Name:	Clearances.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	2.89 MB
ID:	668735Click image for larger version

Name:	Honing.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	3.83 MB
ID:	668736
Old 04-03-2017, 07:46 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 210 Likes on 189 Posts

Nice work, like the can-do attitude! I'll bet that that engine ends up running well. Interested in how those headers work out too.

From reading your first post, I can't help but associate the sea-foam with the sudden compression loss. Granted there was probably already a ring sticking problem, but maybe too much dissolved carbon & varnish went into the ring grooves, and when the engine cooled the rings became severely stuck. It's a commonly used product, but weird stuff happens sometimes.

Quick Reply: Lost almost all engine compression overnight?!