Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Loss voltage when it misfires

Old 10-06-2016, 04:53 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loss voltage when it misfires

My 2012 JK has had a misfire at times. Mostly from 1600-1800 RPMs, but sometimes at higher. Since it is getting dark in the morning, I noticed the headlights slightly dim when it did it. I quick looked at my voltage gauge, and it was down to 13.2 volts. It slowly crept back up to 14.7 where it had been. This is strange. I wonder if it might be something to do with the alternator?
Old 10-07-2016, 02:30 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Are you still running the stock battery?
Old 10-07-2016, 03:07 AM
JK Freak

No that battery died over night.
Old 10-07-2016, 03:54 AM
JK Junkie

Received 160 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by metaldemon
No that battery died over night.
your battery died last night? confused. If you did just change the battery, give it a couple days to see if the problem still exists.
My 2012 has an occasional momentary stutter in the low rpm range. Only happens a few times per month and can be described as a single hiccup that lasts only about one second. Have not tried hard to figure out what it is as it is a rare event. Been doing that for maybe the past year.
Old 10-07-2016, 04:55 AM
JK Freak

Battery died a couple of months ago. It has been misfiring for over a year with both batteries. Dealers are no help even though they have felt it. The ecu doesn't even know it is happening. I did notice the voltage drop last night and this morning. I have a voltage gauge that I installed.
Old 10-07-2016, 05:31 AM
JK Junkie

Received 160 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by metaldemon
Battery died a couple of months ago. It has been misfiring for over a year with both batteries. Dealers are no help even though they have felt it. The ecu doesn't even know it is happening. I did notice the voltage drop last night and this morning. I have a voltage gauge that I installed.
how long are the misfiring events? Some folks including myself have whAt is described as t he momentary stutter but nobody has found a cause or fix that I am aware of.
Old 10-07-2016, 04:29 PM
JK Freak

I was calling it a stutter. My son said it was a misfire. I am not sure. Just had it checked for the newest flash which it already has. The dealer said to try new plugs. It was at the dealer to check the throw out bearing, but it was quiet while it was there. I don't know about the voltage drop when it stutters.

Quick Reply: Loss voltage when it misfires