Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Loss of range on Remote Start and Door unlock...

Old 02-10-2011, 12:00 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loss of range on Remote Start and Door unlock...

I did my due diligence and searched the archives for possible solutions... Found lots on installing Remote Start but nothing on the OE system...

Prior to my '08 JK going in for service (replaced heater box which required pulling the entire dash) the range on my remote start/door locks was about 100 feet or more. After the dash was pulled and replaced the range is under 5 feet, if that much. I changed remotes, new batteries.. nothing improves it.

I believe the sensor/antenna for the remote start is behind the trim below the HVAC controls.. not 100% sure of this though.

Has anyone encountered/remedied this problem or possibly extended the antenna for the receiver to improve it's range??
Old 02-10-2011, 07:55 PM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

here is some info:
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...enna-Placement

If it worked before the dealer pulled the dash but not after, I'd get after them to fix it.

(but I am sure you thought of that)

fix one problem, cause another.....
Old 02-10-2011, 08:18 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MMarz
I did my due diligence and searched the archives for possible solutions... Found lots on installing Remote Start but nothing on the OE system...

Prior to my '08 JK going in for service (replaced heater box which required pulling the entire dash) the range on my remote start/door locks was about 100 feet or more. After the dash was pulled and replaced the range is under 5 feet, if that much. I changed remotes, new batteries.. nothing improves it.

I believe the sensor/antenna for the remote start is behind the trim below the HVAC controls.. not 100% sure of this though.

Has anyone encountered/remedied this problem or possibly extended the antenna for the receiver to improve it's range??

The first step in trouble shooting is to ask what changed or occured just prior to the problem.
In this case it sounds like the dealership pulled the dash to replace the heater box.
IMO back to the dealership.
Old 02-11-2011, 04:36 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys.. the dealer route is obvious, but it's not the best option unless I want to be without the car for a week.. While they were superb with replacement of the heater, alarm issues excluded.. but to bring it back again is my last option.

I am hoping for some other ideas that I can try myself..

Quick Reply: Loss of range on Remote Start and Door unlock...