Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Loose steering?

Old 04-26-2011, 09:34 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loose steering?

When I go over bumps my front in wobbles.. its not the DW but I did have that but the dealer has since fixed it they said it was the alignment. They did replace tie rods and etc. But I still get a wobble when going over bumps what do you guys think it could be?
Old 04-26-2011, 12:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's probably your steering stabilizer. The stock units are junk.
Old 04-26-2011, 01:11 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by benny
Very rarely would it be the stabilizer. Check out the DW diagnoses thread in the writeup section
Old 04-26-2011, 01:21 PM
JK Newbie

Re-torque everything.
Old 04-26-2011, 01:23 PM
JK Freak

Since dealer changed the tie rod
I would check 3 things
1) Drag link (ends)
2) Ball joints (to do so you will need to jack up the front end and vigorously shake the tire to see if there is any play)
3) check the wheel bearing/hub assembly.

I had exactly what you have described. + a DW. Changing above 3 items listed solved my issue.
Good luck.
Old 04-26-2011, 03:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Biggy
Very rarely would it be the stabilizer. Check out the DW diagnoses thread in the writeup section
He said it's not DW, they have already fixed that by replacing tie rods, etc.......(whatever that entails) Check out where he says that in his post. I would assume since they fixed the DW that they checked ball joints and other such things. I had a slight wobble when I hit bumps (not DW) and it WAS the steering stabilizer. I narrowed it down to that after everything else checked out and everything was torqued properly. When the steering stabilizer came off it was shot. I replaced it like 5,000 miles ago and the slight wobble I had everytime I hit certain bumps on my daily routine has completely gone away.
It's worth a shot.

Last edited by benny; 04-26-2011 at 04:06 PM.
Old 04-26-2011, 04:14 PM
JK Freak

He said it's not DW, they have already fixed that by replacing tie rods, etc.......(whatever that entails) Check out where he says that in his post. I would assume since they fixed the DW that they checked ball joints and other such things. I had a slight wobble when I hit bumps (not DW) and it WAS the steering stabilizer. I narrowed it down to that after everything else checked out and everything was torqued properly. When the steering stabilizer came off it was shot. I replaced it like 5,000 miles ago and the slight wobble I had everytime I hit certain bumps on my daily routine has completely gone away.
It's worth a shot.
It may be worth a shot .. But a shot Steering stabilizer is not gonna cause a loose steering.
Old 04-26-2011, 04:20 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Rubicon_Fan
Since dealer changed the tie rod
I would check 3 things
1) Drag link (ends)
2) Ball joints (to do so you will need to jack up the front end and vigorously shake the tire to see if there is any play)
3) check the wheel bearing/hub assembly.

I had exactly what you have described. + a DW. Changing above 3 items listed solved my issue.
Good luck.
X2 for 1) and 2)

Most of the time it's the crappy stock ball joints
Old 04-26-2011, 04:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rubicon_Fan
It may be worth a shot .. But a shot Steering stabilizer is not gonna cause a loose steering.
He does not say that he has loose steering. He hits a bump and his front wobbles. I'm telling you that is what happened on mine and the steering was not loose any other time.
I guess I'm crazy, I replaced the one part on mine that was shot and it fixed the problem that I had that sounds very much like his. That's like taking the tack out of your shoe that's been poking your foot and after walking a mile without any pokes saying well it fixed it but it has to be something else that was causing it.
Trust me, it CAN cause a slight shimmy that feels like a wobble, not DW, a slight wobble that quickly goes away. This may not be his problem but it is worth looking at. Nobody is going to get on here and tell me that a shot steering stabilizer cannot cause this minor shimmy/wobble when you go over a bump. It will not cause DW but could cause this minor problem he's having.
Instead of shooting down someones idea as to what it MIGHT be, one that has actually happened to the person suggesting, just pass on other possibilities and let the OP check all options until he finds the correct remedy.
Old 04-26-2011, 05:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

I just got mine replaced under warranty (the oil leaked out) and the replacement is like 2-3 times the size of the old one. I can't tell the difference, but it looks more like the size of aftermarket ones.

Quick Reply: Loose steering?