Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Loose door and diff oil help

Old 01-06-2010, 12:55 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loose door and diff oil help

hey guys

I need your advice as I build homes and not cars . I took the jeep in for its first oil change at 3900 miles the guy tells me I need to change my diff oil and possibly the gears . claims the oil is as bad as cars with 90k miles and there are massive chucks of metal in the oil. He shows me a sample mine is black with metal in it and tells me it should be clear how can this be on a new vehicle ? I called the dealer and they said it's $500 to check it out and replace I tell them this is a new new vehicle and they still tell me $500 Im not dumb but I think the oil guys are trying to screw me over any ideas

2nd my drivers door is loose and rattles over every bump. I took the doors off this summer and was wondering if i might have lost a bushing or something in the hinges

Thanks in advance
Old 01-06-2010, 01:27 PM
JK Newbie

Well for starters are you working with a Jeep Dealer?? It doesnt sound like it because any jeep dealer would understand that this issue is a warranty claim not a customer pay. The diff service would be customer pay but not if its chewing up the gears!
Old 01-06-2010, 01:34 PM
JK Super Freak

Run away from the guy saying you need to change it. Go, if possible, where you bought it and have them check it out. 3900 miles...shouldn't be bad. Have you hit anything with them or possibly got water in them?

Is it the dealer you bought from? Might try to find a new dealer, these things do have warranties.

The door thing, it is probably the infamous door rattle, search for door rattles for a lot of stuff. My 09 started rattling about May or June (2 months after I bought it), I applied a some electrical tape on the striker, no rattles since. This was my driver door. I don't even have the bolts that go on the bottom of the door, I think they are somewhere in the Jeep!!

Here is a thread with pictures attached so you know where to tape.
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...ht=door+rattle
Old 01-06-2010, 01:54 PM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

changing the diff oil is pretty simple, search for WOL's write up on the forum. you can drain and fill them in about 15 minutes. It's easier if you have a little hand pump to help refill them.

its not very difficult to pull the covers either. that way you could spray down the gears with brake cleaner and inspect them yourself. Or post some photos for forum members to look over.

I don't see how anyone found chunks of metal just by "checking" the fluid. There are likely fine filings from break in, they may be stuck to the magnetic plug. but that's normal wear.

to find actual chunks, I think you would probably have to drain the oil, maybe pull the cover.

Who is this guy changing your oil anyway? a dealer? (BTW, the OC is super easy to do yourself, too)
Old 01-06-2010, 04:12 PM
JK Newbie

I got the oil changed after work at this new place they just opened up a few months ago . I have changed the oil plenty of times in other trucks but just did not have the time. The service guy at the new oil place claimed it was pretty jacked and showed me some oil, I'm really started to think it was a scam like what jiffy lube used to do. I did call the dealer and he said to check it you have to change it and it's $500 . I also read WOLs demo and Im going to try that first, It looks fairly easy. As far as the door goes it is also my driver door. I wasn't sure if they made like a delrin sleeve to go in the hinge or something . The dealer is going to check out the door for the hell of it, so who knows I just may have to use thee ol eletro tape haha
either way I'll post back up let you know if I found anything
Old 01-06-2010, 07:56 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Jeepin Ass Chris
I got the oil changed after work at this new place they just opened up a few months ago . I have changed the oil plenty of times in other trucks but just did not have the time. The service guy at the new oil place claimed it was pretty jacked and showed me some oil, I'm really started to think it was a scam like what jiffy lube used to do. I did call the dealer and he said to check it you have to change it and it's $500 . I also read WOLs demo and Im going to try that first, It looks fairly easy. As far as the door goes it is also my driver door. I wasn't sure if they made like a delrin sleeve to go in the hinge or something . The dealer is going to check out the door for the hell of it, so who knows I just may have to use thee ol eletro tape haha
either way I'll post back up let you know if I found anything
He's correct that you have to remove the covers and will need to replace the oil in order to check them, but any reasonable dealership will only charge you 1 hour labor (or less) to open both of them and check them out.
That guy is full of it.
Old 01-06-2010, 08:01 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definitely didn't need to pull my covers to change the lube in my axles. Drain and fill plug on JK axles. My rear looked OLD at only 1,000 miles. Changed them both at 1,000 with synthetic and am running it. Ring and pinion failure is very unlikely these days. Change the fluid and go...
Old 01-06-2010, 08:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't know about the diff, but the tape saved my sanity with my doors.
Old 01-07-2010, 06:06 AM
JK Freak

The dealers are going to try to charge a buttload for changing the diff oil, which is no longer a difficult task with the new generation dana axles. I recommend changing it yourself using WoL's writeup at project-jk.com, and inspecting the oil yourself. Most likely it's fine. The drain plugs have magnets which pull most of the ground metal bits off of new diffs. If the oil does happen to be nasty, go ahead and take a decent sample of it, fill your axles back up, and take the sample and your Jeep back to the dealer. They can finish sorting it out from there, and you will probably be spared a diagnostic fee.
Old 01-07-2010, 06:17 AM
JK Super Freak

Changing my diffs is something I have never done, but plan on it as soon as it gets a little warmer!

Hopefully after you change it out, you would be good to go. And the door thing, If you are hearing it around your ear or on the B pillar, put some tape on it...its amazing!

Quick Reply: Loose door and diff oil help