Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Loose battery? Anyone?

Old 06-14-2011, 06:32 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Loose battery? Anyone?

Hey all,

Was under the hood of the Jeep tonight and I noticed my battery was loose in it's tray. The holder was cinched down completely, and the battery was installed correctly.

I bought the jeep used, but I believe this is a stock battery and I have no evidence anyone would have ever touched it.

The battery was sliding around a fair amount - when on the engine-side of the battery tray, it was rubbing what looks like hard plastic emission lines that feed into the intake manifold. They were starting to wear through.

I ended up putting a thin flat piece of junk plastic I had hanging around the garage in as a shim for the battery holder. The holder is a wedge shape - I put it on the opposite side of the battery. -- That should make sense if you take a look.

It may be something worthwhile to check next time you're under there.
Old 06-15-2011, 03:18 AM
kik
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by yo_marc
Hey all,

Was under the hood of the Jeep tonight and I noticed my battery was loose in it's tray. The holder was cinched down completely, and the battery was installed correctly.

I bought the jeep used, but I believe this is a stock battery and I have no evidence anyone would have ever touched it.

The battery was sliding around a fair amount - when on the engine-side of the battery tray, it was rubbing what looks like hard plastic emission lines that feed into the intake manifold. They were starting to wear through.

I ended up putting a thin flat piece of junk plastic I had hanging around the garage in as a shim for the battery holder. The holder is a wedge shape - I put it on the opposite side of the battery. -- That should make sense if you take a look.

It may be something worthwhile to check next time you're under there.
If it's an 07 then it was definately replaced. An original battery doesn't last that long. They probably replaced it with one that works fine but just isn't an exact fit. You can either shim it like you did or get the correct size battery. Correct size replacements don't move around in the tray. In fact, you don't want that happening.
Old 06-15-2011, 03:29 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought my jeep in '08, with 24,000 on the odo. I wouldn't expect the battery to have been replaced in that timeframe...
Old 06-15-2011, 07:06 AM
JK Newbie

I have an 07 with the original battery...
Old 06-15-2011, 07:09 AM
JK Junkie

I just replaced the battery in my 07 with a odyssey hard core off road battery.

Quick Reply: Loose battery? Anyone?