Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Long term storage??

Old 12-06-2008, 04:43 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

K100 is 100% safe and should be used with ethanol gas whenever it will be in storage for more than 1-2 weeks. Our ethanol goes bad in 3-6 weeks. As for storage seal... it's just a light fogging oil. You could also use any kind of 2 stoke oil if you would rather. I assure you that you want to do something more than just leave it. The Ethanol absorbs it's weight in water. You want something to prevent corrosion in the heads. The marvel in the tank will help prevent that in the fuel system. Some people use the 2 stoke oil in the tank.

Do as you want. This is how we stor marine inboard motors. They have computers on them just as our trucks do... and this is what I would do if it were mine. If it sits for more than a couple months I would do this. And you should disconnect the battery whenever sitting for more than 3 weeks. The memory in the electronics will drain the battery. If you connect either a inexpensive plug in battery tender or a solar charger if you have sunlight.
Old 12-07-2008, 12:10 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Check your manual. It's pull one fuse and run the a/c for 5 minutes. Thats it. Almost every run of the mill vehicle sits in holding pens and dealer lots , some for 6-8 months, no problem.
Old 12-07-2008, 10:33 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Matts08
What do you mean your top leaks "in the back?" The back of the freedom panels or around the tailgate? Anyhow, what about some of the apartment complexes that offer garages for rent to their tenants? I would say most tenants do not rent these in some areas so maybe you can find one that would let you rent one. Just a thought.
i think it leaks around the tailgate a little. it seems like everytime i open that storage compartment in the back it is always damp and a bit musky. i cant complain though, we get huge amounts of rain here in very short periods of time.

I really appreciate all the advice you guys have given, it has been really helpful.
Old 12-16-2008, 06:16 PM
JK Super Freak

That's an absolute about the on-post/base POV storage facility. I just recently retired and whenever we deployed, the single guys (or the guys who didn't want their girlfriends/wifes driving their rigs) would take their rig to the storage facility and lock it up. It's completely fenced, lighted, and secure. It doesn't cost a dime. BUT, if you want that personal touch, you can leave it with me and I'll make darn sure that it's taken care of. I promise that the tires won't dry rot from sitting around, heck, I'll buy you some new tires when you get back... Just out of the goodness of my heart.

Quick Reply: Long term storage??