Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Lockin Gas Cap

Old 05-22-2007, 04:51 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by black07
All it takes is one "prankster" to show his friends how much "fun" it is to put some foreign substance in your tank. Then your wife will not have a problem with the lock.

Same goes for the hood. It is not so much what they can take from your JK, but what they can do to it that really matters.

And do not think that it can only happen in those large "urban" areas. Jerks do not discriminate where they choose to attack!!!
this sounds more like a solution to me. let them sieze the engine, buy it back from the insurance company, hemi it. the old lady will understand the importance of a locking gas cap, and he gets a hemi'd JK.

or, like HC said, take away her key. 'cause that's just funny.
Old 05-22-2007, 05:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unlike the older locking gas caps which came with small awkward keys, locking gas caps for JK uses car (JK) keys. It's very easy to lock/unlock.

Tell your wife that....

"It's so easy that even caveman can lock/unlock it!"

Last edited by moun10eer; 05-22-2007 at 05:19 AM.
Old 05-22-2007, 05:57 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by moun10eer
Unlike the older locking gas caps which came with small awkward keys, locking gas caps for JK uses car (JK) keys. It's very easy to lock/unlock.

Tell your wife that....

Hey... mine doesn't unlock with the ignition key... it uses a small one.
Old 05-22-2007, 06:42 AM
JK Newbie

It only locks with the ignition key if you got the "locking gas cap" option from the factory. If you bought the locking gas cap from Mopar or your dealer afterwards (like I did) then it uses a small key.
Old 05-22-2007, 06:58 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MacDobhran
It only locks with the ignition key if you got the "locking gas cap" option from the factory. If you bought the locking gas cap from Mopar or your dealer afterwards (like I did) then it uses a small key.
That depends entirely on which one you buy, they have both.
They DO sell the one that opens with your ignition key, it is slightly more $ and needs to bey keyed to your key. not hard, any locksmith can reset it for you.

(So says the parts guy anyhow, i plan on getting one.)
Old 05-22-2007, 07:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HappyCurmudgeon
That depends entirely on which one you buy, they have both.
They DO sell the one that opens with your ignition key, it is slightly more $ and needs to bey keyed to your key. not hard, any locksmith can reset it for you.

(So says the parts guy anyhow, i plan on getting one.)
its true, they have both.. I believe the ignition keyed one is 5-10 bucks more. Worth it to me to not have another key on my key chain.
Old 05-22-2007, 10:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

I got the locking gas cap after I got JK. I got it at parts shop at my dealer. It defifnitey worth a couple more dollars!

Much easier locking/unlocking with ignition key. There's no up or down for the ignition key... just stick in it and turn!
Old 05-22-2007, 11:00 AM
JK Junkie

she needs to understand that... in the long run... its not that big a deal.

Whats a couple seconds of your time every what... 5 to 6 days or week or so (however often you fill up)... to prevent or deter theft or vandalism.

Its worth it for me. If they destroy your engine or you are stuck in a parking lot out of gas... i see that wasting hours of your time and lots of your money.

she should just deal with it... i am sure she has her own car too... or you have another vehicle.

"honey i know that the locking gas cap is a pain... so i bought you this 1981 honda accord... it has a smaller tank too so you can save time filling up as well. And the best part is... i got it in your favorite colors!! The door is pink and the rest is blue! You can even finish the primered bumper to whatever color you want! See i do think of you and love you dearly. This should make things less stressful for you."
Old 05-22-2007, 08:07 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the locks on the glove and the console changed to a different key. I'd like to get my gas cap lock fitted for that key, too. I'll bring it by the same lock shop that did my glove and console and see what they can do.
Old 05-22-2007, 08:23 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by moun10eer

Tell your wife that....

Hey. I don't appreciate your discrimination towards my kind.

Quick Reply: Lockin Gas Cap