Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Locker switch

Old 11-07-2006, 11:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Locker switch

Has anyone figured out how to rewire the locker switch so it can be engaged in 4wd high (or 2wd)? I understand the safety reasons for the OEM settings, but it would be nice to be able to lock the rear axle in 4wd high.
Old 11-07-2006, 01:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Locker Switch?!?! Man, I'd just be happy right now to have my order reach "D" status!!!

Seriously, I too, am waiting for someone to figure it out. If not, I'll tackle it when I get my JK some time next year...

Tom
Bryson City, NC
Old 11-07-2006, 04:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have all wiring diagrams needed to do it, but it will not be a nice easy task like the TJ. I will keep you updated as we check into it a little more.
Old 11-07-2006, 05:17 PM
JK Newbie

maybe a dumb question but if you get that to work in 4wdhigh is that going to be ok for the clutch do to the gearing? if not man I can not wait untill it snows lol
Old 11-07-2006, 05:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jkrubi2d
maybe a dumb question but if you get that to work in 4wdhigh is that going to be ok for the clutch do to the gearing? if not man I can not wait untill it snows lol
Not sure what you exactly what you mean.

Right now you can only use the front and rear lockers in Low Range. The bummer is if you do a lot of stuff in sand or even mud it is nice to be able to lock up the axles at higher speeds, even in High Range. But the good side to it is not allowing someone who does not understand when lockers are helpful and when they can be harmful to safe driving.

The factory built the system the way it is for safety reasons. In low range is the speed is low enough that they do not need to worry about someone using the lockers while driving around on the street in situations where locked axles would help to induce a loss of traction (skid). A situation like this would be turning on ice, where you want each tire to be able to spin at it needed speed to maintain traction. If they allowed you to turn the lockers on at higher street type speeds I am sure you would get some person who would think that if they are driving on ice they need more traction and put the vehicle in 4 high with the locker on. Each time they made a turn there would be at least 2 wheel that would skid rather than roll on the ice. Could casue a dangerous situation.
Old 11-07-2006, 07:02 PM
JK Freak

I'm looking forward to this too !! IMO it is a must....

hey Eddie when Jeff (or any one else) gets this posted maby you could come up with a sticky that has links to posts like these kind of "mods" ??
Old 11-08-2006, 11:57 AM
JK Newbie

You are talking about the Tru-Lock, right?

Which are standard front and rear on the Rubicon and optional rear on Sahara and X.
Old 11-08-2006, 12:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by grishuha
You are talking about the Tru-Lock, right?

Which are standard front and rear on the Rubicon and optional rear on Sahara and X.
That is correct.
Old 11-08-2006, 02:18 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Don-A-Vee
Not sure what you exactly what you mean.

Right now you can only use the front and rear lockers in Low Range. The bummer is if you do a lot of stuff in sand or even mud it is nice to be able to lock up the axles at higher speeds, even in High Range. But the good side to it is not allowing someone who does not understand when lockers are helpful and when they can be harmful to safe driving.

The factory built the system the way it is for safety reasons. In low range is the speed is low enough that they do not need to worry about someone using the lockers while driving around on the street in situations where locked axles would help to induce a loss of traction (skid). A situation like this would be turning on ice, where you want each tire to be able to spin at it needed speed to maintain traction. If they allowed you to turn the lockers on at higher street type speeds I am sure you would get some person who would think that if they are driving on ice they need more traction and put the vehicle in 4 high with the locker on. Each time they made a turn there would be at least 2 wheel that would skid rather than roll on the ice. Could casue a dangerous situation.

No I understand how they work and when to use, but thanks that would be helpful for someone new to offloading

Ok basically I was asking if the clutch is going to be able to turn all four wheels in high. Mainly do to the difference in gears there will be much greater torque trying to make the clutch slip….So will it slip. If not then I can’t wait to lock my jk in the 3ft of snow/sand/mud/rivers
Old 11-08-2006, 02:19 PM
JK Newbie

Is it possible to install the front Tru-Lock that comes standard on a Rubicon on a Sahara by a dealer?

Quick Reply: Locker switch