Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Locker Question

Old 03-12-2017, 04:32 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Locker Question

I'm going tomorrow to take another extended test drive and have a second look at a used Unlimited Rubicon tomorrow...

I gave it a pretty good going over the first time I looked at it, but I forgot about the lockers..

I hate to ask a stupid question, but I have no idea how I would tell if the lockers are working ?

Neither of my previous two JK's had lockers and I have never driven anything with them....I want to make sure they are in working order before I make my final decision on this Jeep.

Thanks
Old 03-12-2017, 04:47 PM
JK Newbie

I think the easiest way without putting up on a hoist would be to find a gravel or sandy road, parking lot whatever and put the Jeep in 4 low and lock the diffs and pull a holeshot(floor the gas) it should leave 4 distinct trails behind the tires.
Old 03-13-2017, 09:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Strider
I think the easiest way without putting up on a hoist would be to find a gravel or sandy road, parking lot whatever and put the Jeep in 4 low and lock the diffs and pull a holeshot(floor the gas) it should leave 4 distinct trails behind the tires.
I don't think the seller will let you do this.....Plus wheel spin with lockers is how you break things. Honestly you need to get the wheels in the air to know for sure. If not a lift then jack stands.

Last edited by spmitchell86; 03-13-2017 at 09:40 AM.
Old 03-13-2017, 10:04 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by spmitchell86
I don't think the seller will let you do this.....Plus wheel spin with lockers is how you break things. Honestly you need to get the wheels in the air to know for sure. If not a lift then jack stands.
This is the way I would do it. If the seller says no, look elsewhere.
Old 03-13-2017, 01:54 PM
JK Freak

Thanks for the replies..

The Jeep is at a dealer so maybe I can get it out on the 2nd test drive w/o the salesman..

I didn't make down there today and with the blizzard inbound it will probably be the end of the week now..
Old 03-13-2017, 02:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

The snow might help! If you can nose into a snowbank until the wheels start spinning.... Have someone watch in 4 lo only one front and one rear should spin. Then engage the lockers and make sure all 4 spin.... Since you've never had lockers before here's the rundown with the factory e lockers: to engage press the bottom half of the locker button once. The rear lock icon on dash will flash and illuminate solid when engaged. (That's only the rear) then press the bottom half of the button again and the front lock icon will flash and illuminate solid when engaged. Sometimes the fronts take a min or so to engage and slow back/ forth driving. If you're in a parking lot testing into a snowbank get lined up in a straight line with it so you will not have to turn throughout this whole process. It will be ok on pavement that short bit as long as you don't turn the wheels.

To disengage. Press the top half of the locker button. Or (for future reference) you only want to disengage the front ....press the bottom half button again. The icons will flash then go away when safety disengaged.

PS I know I said spinning tires breaks things but technically it's the sudden stoping that breaks things. You don't want them catching traction while spinning which is why I don't recommend a 4lo locked peel out on gravel. But if you're in the snow where they are just spinning they won't catch traction.
Old 03-13-2017, 02:37 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Put it in 4L lock the rear first. On grass or gravel... Pavement if you want. Do a donut you will feel the Jeep Buck and the Wheels Hop... Thats How I check my rear. The front same thing Lock it up Do donut with the front just locked your going to notice the steering is hard and the front wants to dip you will also feel it in the wheel.

This is how I check my non-Rubicon Jeep with Eaton E-lockers. Great part about mine is I can use my lockers in 4H or in 2WD for the rear.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	SafteyLight.JPG
Views:	80
Size:	2.42 MB
ID:	668230  
Old 03-13-2017, 04:41 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Put it in 4lo and activate the lockers, chock a tire, release the park brake and put it in neutral. Jack up one rear tire and try to rotate it by hand - if it spins the locker is not engaged, set that tire on the ground and do the same to the front.
Old 03-13-2017, 05:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by zstairlessone
Put it in 4lo and activate the lockers, chock a tire, release the park brake and put it in neutral. Jack up one rear tire and try to rotate it by hand - if it spins the locker is not engaged, set that tire on the ground and do the same to the front.
I like this idea best.
Old 03-13-2017, 08:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lock the lockers one at a time going slow in a circle. You will feel them engage. Drive straight to unlock.

Quick Reply: Locker Question