Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

A little afraid of the 3.8L change

Old 03-25-2008, 07:53 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the 3.8, have driven several V6s over the past few years including Chrysler 3.0, GM 4.3 and 3.6, and of all of them so far I like this one the most. Quiet but still has enough give with the 6spd to keep me from missing the 4.3L.

We'll see what happens this time next year when I've put 40 000 km on it. Unfortunately, they don't offer lifetime powertrain up north! :(
Old 03-25-2008, 08:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JeepJK4Life
ok i know the 4.0L engine was an absolute legend no questions there, and when they changed the engine it angered many Jeepers. So I'm asking has anyone seen any major problems so far? and can anyone guess at how many miles it can go? becuz i know the 4.0 can go 200,000 miles without a single hicup. Im worried because i have mine financed for 6 years and im worried that the engine will die on me.
Grasshopper, you have snatched the pebble from my hand. Fear not the road ahead. Behold your JK! Its engine shall be a faithful companion. So sayeth millions of vehicle-abusing soccer moms.
Old 03-25-2008, 08:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TINMAN080
As a teenager in west Texas, my grandparents had I believe a 61 AMC station wagon with a 199 c.i.d. 6 cylinder. This was the grandfather engine to the 4.0. It went thru several incarnations- the 232, the 258 (which I owned new in a 72 Gremlin X). People forget the 4.0 for a year or two had a hell of a problem with piston skirts breaking off. The old carb versions gave real problems when the jeeps were tilted or leaned on the trails. I'm sure the 3.8 in the Jeep installation will have it's share of teething problems but in the end they will be isolated and worked out by guys like all of us. This free flow of information and experience we have going on this site will work to our advantage, something the guys in the old days did not have.......
the old amc (a 61 would actually be a Rambler) motor had NOTHING to do with the 4.0.
Thank goodness.
That was 1 unreliable p.o.s.
AMC was outsourcing carbs, distributors etc from others. You never knew wha you were getting.

The 4.0 was derived from the 2.5L 4 with 2 more cylinders.
The first couple years, the only issue was the exhaust manifolds would crack. They fixed it and from then on they were more solid than a 350 chevy or dodge slant 6.

I had one with 140,000 miles and another with 250,000 when I sold them. Neither used any oil. I changed it every 5k and it did the rest.

The 3.8 could use more power for the size.
I have a 3.8 vortec v6 in my impala. It has a lot more gonads. Milage is better, but it is shaped like a turd instead of a brick.

Originally we were told the 3.8 v6 was replacing the i6 4.0 so that Jeep could make the hoods shorter. Now we hear it is economy. I imagine the motor will be fine if one changes the oil in this day and age of super lublricants.
Old 03-25-2008, 08:47 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was afraid of this too, because I've owned several Jeeps w/ the 4.0 and the torque was good offroad. Everybody will admit that when bigger tires were added, it was a dog, sometimes even when regeared.

To me, the 3.8 seems at home on the street and trail. It doesn't die above 3000-3500 rpm's like the 4.0 did/does. Seems alot smoother and able to take higher rpms when needed. Seems just as strong on the bottom end to me too.

All that said, if/when they offer a factory Hemi, I'll order one and put this JK up for sale.
Old 03-31-2008, 02:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default I too feared the mini van engine

I was due for a new ride when JK's 1st came out,was totally sold except feared mini van 3.8,did notice a little noisy,has a tick that I used to think was manifold leak.now has 46,000km on it,really like it,has great top end stock(felt could use alittle more bottom end)trust me soon as u loose the stock intake and get some air flowing,it's a suprising little monster coinsidering designed to propel soccer moms,never owned a 4.0 or 4.2 do know they are a damn strong and dependable engine(what american designed inline 6 wasn't)really liking the 3.8,no problems what so ever and wakes up quite well with some after market goodies.now if i only liked the mercedes 6spd as much.and how many more TSB's till clutch issues sorted out

Quick Reply: A little afraid of the 3.8L change