Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Linkage to the transfer case broke...Please Read Before Posting

Old 08-02-2010, 07:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Linkage to the transfer case broke...Please Read Before Posting

Yes I know that this problem is extremely common to jeep owners, so with that in mind here is my question. I made a appointment with my dealership to have it fixed, since it is still under warranty. They asked me if I could drop it off in the morning and then pick it up later in the afternoon. To my knowledge this is a quick repair, right? Why would the dealership ask me to drop it off if I made a appointment for it and its only a small repair? I'm starting to already get a little fed up with this dealership since it took 3 weeks for them to get this plastic part in...

So anyways how many of you bring your jeep to the dealership when this problem occurs? If so, how long does it usually take? Also I do have some zip ties in my glove box so when I do get my jeep back I can use the zip tie trick on it.

Thanks again
Old 08-02-2010, 07:39 AM
JK Super Freak

if it broke on the shifter side they'll have to pull the center console. Shouldn't take that long. I had a complete new cable put in during the same appointment I had for a new front driveshaft and was at the dealership for just a bout 2 hours.
Old 08-02-2010, 12:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Linkage to the transfer case broke...Please Read Before Posting

The dealer took mine for a few hours as well. I think they don't like to put themselves into time constraints in case the previous vehicle takes longer than expected. I bet if you pinned 'em down and made it clear you were waiting they could do it in about an hour.
Old 08-02-2010, 12:46 PM
JK Freak

Mine was in the shop for 2 days because they did not have the part in stock.

<---- No longer a newbie!
Old 08-02-2010, 12:52 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by *Seth*
I think they don't like to put themselves into time constraints in case the previous vehicle takes longer than expected. .
Yeah, I concur with this. Seems every time I leave mine in for a service or warranty repair I'm told it will be half a day, only to get the phone call an hour or so later telling me to come pick it up.

If the clip's broken at the transfer case end, it's a piece of cake. To do the job easily (without taking the skin off your knuckles) you need to remove some bolts & swing the skidplate out of the way; this takes like 2 minutes. Then push the new clip on; 3 seconds. While you're there, a ziptie is def worth it for some extra insurance; make sure you get a few more spare clips from the dealer so you can do it yourself next time.
Old 08-02-2010, 12:54 PM
JK Super Freak

when the hell is someone going to come up with an aftermarket solution to this problem. It seems like it would be easy to just duplicate all the plastic crap with metal.
Old 08-02-2010, 01:08 PM
JK Freak

A fix for the Rubicon... (TJ) Heard they were working on a JK version also.
.novak-adapt.com/catalog/kit_sk2xr.htm[/url]

Last edited by mkjeep; 08-02-2010 at 06:55 PM. Reason: no clicky
Old 08-02-2010, 02:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Man, that would be nice.

Flash
Old 08-02-2010, 02:36 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by cppower
A fix for the Rubicon... (TJ) Heard they were working on a JK version also.
novak-adapt.com/catalog/kit_sk2xr.htm[/url]
As much as I like the idea of fixing this weak link..... I can buy a LOT of wire ties for $158.

Last edited by mkjeep; 08-02-2010 at 06:56 PM.
Old 08-31-2010, 10:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Just broke mine this past Saturday on the transfer case end. On another thread that I was reading it was posted that the part # for the plastic piece is 68064273AA but I will also carry some zip ties

Quick Reply: Linkage to the transfer case broke...Please Read Before Posting