Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Limitations Stock Sahara

Old 12-20-2010, 12:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Limitations Stock Sahara

As i am new to Jeeps (2 weeks), I was just wondering what the limitations of a stock Sahara Unlimited is on the trails.

What can it do in Mud, water, Rocks, beach... etc.

How much flex does it have? Etc.

Thanks

-Evan
Old 12-20-2010, 12:09 PM
JK Newbie

Check out some youtube videos.
Old 12-20-2010, 12:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by evan631
As i am new to Jeeps (2 weeks), I was just wondering what the limitations of a stock Sahara Unlimited is on the trails.

Thanks

-Evan
Well depending upon what you want to do with it, I have a 2dr sahara and she has never let me down in mud, water or beach, I haven't found a lot of rocks to play on as i'm in the south east, but best guess for you is take it easy and slowly step it up when you feel comfortable with what you are doing. THere is technique to be learned, sometimes more pedel sometimes not ya know what i mean.

Also might want to check out some youtube videos as sugested lots of em show you what not to do!
Old 12-20-2010, 12:19 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by evan631

Thanks

-Evan

Air down your tires to about 15 psi and disconnect your sway bar links, and you can do all of the above. Height (clearance) will be more of a limiting factor. I've heard of some Rubi's eliminating their e-discos and replacing them with quick disconnects, claiming to get more flex with the standard sway bar, and disconnecting it (not speaking from personal experience, just what I've heard).
Old 12-20-2010, 06:21 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When my two door was stock and not lifted yet it could still do all of the same trails as it does now with the lift. But there was usually a little bit of skid excercise, and some stressful spotting situations.

You will definitely be amazed, as i have also been, at the capability of a stock JK.

What gears did you end up with? Do the saharas come with 3.73s or 4.10s? Or does it have something to do with a "towing package" or whatever
Old 12-20-2010, 06:31 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sa29560
When my two door was stock and not lifted yet it could still do all of the same trails as it does now with the lift. But there was usually a little bit of skid excercise, and some stressful spotting situations.

You will definitely be amazed, as i have also been, at the capability of a stock JK.

What gears did you end up with? Do the saharas come with 3.73s or 4.10s? Or does it have something to do with a "towing package" or whatever
Stock Sahara w/ tow package gets upgraded 3.73s
Old 12-20-2010, 08:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Here is my jeep when it was stock...

It did pretty well for the most part in most places I wheel. Stock tires are not good in the mud though

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGYTeZQc1V8
Old 12-20-2010, 08:43 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The only real limitation of the sahara jeep is the driver skill level.
Old 12-20-2010, 09:24 PM
JK Super Freak

Stock Saharas disconnected and aired down will surprise you with their capability. You do not need to spend a bunch of money to get started. It will definitely go and do more than you are probably ready for if you haven't wheeled before.

Don't worry too much about your gear ratios offroad either. Most Rubis will be in second or third on 4Lo (depending on obstacle) and you will be fine on your transfer case in 1st gear. I have the dreaded 3.21s and get along fine. Some rubis complain that the 4:1 is actually too low for mud and sand.
Old 12-21-2010, 08:58 AM
JK Super Freak

If you don't want to do too many mods....buy more agressive tires and if you want good bang for your buck...get the teraflex quick disconnects and you will be all good to go! That's what I started with and started building from there.

You will be suprised what your JK will do! It's amazing!

Quick Reply: Limitations Stock Sahara