Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Lil' Help Please.... DW

Old 06-13-2010, 05:05 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lil' Help Please.... DW

So I have a 2009 2 dr X. Its not lifted and I have a set of Spidertrax spacers on it right now. Recently I have been experiencing the beloved death wobble . So yeah. I had it up in the air this weekend to check the crappy ball joints that this thing comes with and they are good. I also checked all of the steering components and they seem good as well. My buddies at the shop I took it to recommended beefing up the stabilizer. I know that doing this will just mask the true problem. So I was wondering if I could please get some thoughts on this!.. Also if I do decide to go the new stabilizer route which ones would you recommend/avoid? Thanks all!
Old 06-13-2010, 08:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Is your stabilizer leaking? if so it's covered under warranty. They replace it with a bigger/ better one that they use on the 2010's. The stabilizer will cause a wobble but not the DW

x2 on the rotor clips too.
Old 06-13-2010, 08:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by abock33

Is your stabilizer leaking? if so it's covered under warranty. They replace it with a bigger/ better one that they use on the 2010's. The stabilizer will cause a wobble but not the DW
X2! I took mine to my Dealer a few months back, because I would Wobble like a Weeble when I hit any bump. Mine wasn't leaking, but they still replaced it under Warranty with the Beefier one that they use on the 2010's. I still get a minute bit of DW when I hit a hard bump, but NOTHING compared to what I had before. Talk with your Dealer!

Best of Luck!

Cheers!

BB
Old 06-13-2010, 11:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Read mine. I said a steering stabilizer can cause a wobble. Not a Death Wobble. I know this because mine is leaking and i have a wobble that lasts for about 2 seconds after I hit a bump the right way. It goes away on it's own. I don't have to slow down to almost a stop to get it to quit.

I never said that the DW is caused by the stabilizer. The OP might not know the difference between the DW and a different wobble. I didn't ask, just said that if the stabilizer is covered under warranty. Why buy a new one for a stock Jeep?

ADDED: I have read that thread. It's where I found out that my wobble IS NOT a DW. It's my stabilizer.

Last edited by abock33; 06-13-2010 at 11:43 PM.
Old 06-14-2010, 08:36 AM
JK Freak

Hey Guys,

It was the DW for sure.. Ive had little wobbles here and there nothing to worry about but this has occurred a good 3 times now.. its a violent wobble that goes until I slow down. People outside on the freeway have told me that the wheels shake a good 3-4 inches from side to side. The SS doesnt seem to be leaking fluid and im not sure about the rotor retaining clips so I will check soon. Once I get the spacers off it will go to the dealer. My biggest worry right now is that I will be taking it on two 2400 mile trips down to Alabama within the next month..
Old 06-14-2010, 08:51 AM
JK Newbie

Default Death Wobble

Just experienced the “Death Wobble” today on my stock 2008 JK 2dr Rubicon 37,900 miles (just out of warranty) 55 MPH on paved but bumpy road. Anybody else have a similar problem? The entire jeep was shaking, wobbling and shimmying out of control. Was just able to slow down and pull over. Has me really spooked. This jeep has been to the dealer every 3000 miles for service. Help!

Quick Reply: Lil' Help Please.... DW