Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

lifter rattle on startup 07 j-k rubicon

Old 04-16-2008, 08:54 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lifter rattle on startup 07 j-k rubicon

i have an 07 jk rubicon with 14000k
at times when engine has been off 1or2 dayslifters sounds as if they have no oil.i use quaker state 5w20wt.
as manuel states.dealer says oil filters must have check-valves to prevent this from occuring.i can find nuthing in dc manuel about this.i let dealer change the oil, and im letting her sit idle for 2 days and see what happens next.
HAS ANYONE HAD THIS PROB.?
ROCKYRIDGE4X4

Last edited by rockyridge4x4; 04-16-2008 at 10:08 AM.
Old 04-16-2008, 11:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup. Seems to be pretty common, there have been a number of threads on here about this. I had it with a Purolator Pure One filter, and it went away when I switched to a different brand of filter (Mobil 1, I think). Many others have had the problem with just about every brand of filter, so I don't think it's brand specific. Seems to be random, but the general concensus is that some filters just contain defective or non-functioning anti-drainback valves. Makes you wonder about the quality of the filters, considering none of the manufacturers seem to be able to make a simple valve that works consistently..... My guess is that all the manufacturers are sourcing the same crappy valves from somewhere in China .

I think the angle at which the filter is mounted on the JK has a lot to do with it too. Besides being really annoying that you can't get the filter off without spilling oil all over the place, I think it also contributes to this problem. That's just a theory though.

How much damage do you think it does for the engine to run without oil for 2-3 seconds at every startup? Should I replace my filter immediately next time I hear this sound, or can I just ignore it until the next change interval? I think synthetic oil keeps things lubed enough that it shouldn't make much difference, but who knows?

Quick Reply: lifter rattle on startup 07 j-k rubicon