Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Lift Upgrade

Old 04-28-2017, 09:16 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lift Upgrade

Hey. So I know there are PLENTY of people asking question about lifts, components, tires, etc., But everyones Jeep, Opinion and Parts are different.

I have talked to Southern Off-Road (local store), H&H, and 4wheelparts. And Ive been told that I should run a 3.5" Rock Krawler lift, and 35s. I originally intended to run a 4" Rough Country and 35s. But now Im wanting to run 37s. I dont mind buying the extra parts, drive shaft, brakes, etc., for the 4" lift. Also, I dont plan on rock crawling, but am not saying it wont happen. I do plan on mid level mud and a lot of long trails rides. I want my Jeep to be a little bit of looks and a little bit of tough though.

What is a good 3.5"/4" lift that has everything it needs, excluding shocks? I'd like to pick my own. And what is the recommended drive shaft for these lifts, and what other components would I need doing these lifts?

Sorry for the long post. Thanks guys😁
Old 04-28-2017, 09:24 AM
JK Newbie

Metal cloak Gamechanger rocksport is a good option. There are many out their.
JK Wrangler Game-Changer Suspension, 2.5"/3.5",RockSport Edition Suspension System
as far as shaft Adam's are good and take a beating.
JK Heavy Duty 1310 and 1350 CV Driveshafts
If you have a Dana 30 I would not go above a 35" tire. Just my $.02

Sorry. Misread here is the kit w/o shocks
https://www.metalcloak.com/JK-Wrangl...cks-p/7125.htm

Last edited by Hail2Ale; 04-28-2017 at 09:26 AM.
Old 04-28-2017, 10:20 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,942 Likes on 1,699 Posts

I prefer not to suggest specific lifts, but I'd focus on a higher quality 3.5" lift which will more than likely net you more height than that Rough Country 4". Don't get too caught up in the number. Add a front drive shaft, and then address steering upgrades as well. New front trackbar probably already included in some lift you buy.....add a new tie rod and drag link.....you're probably going to want to consider flipping your DL at that point which would require a raised TB bracket axle-side. You'll probably want to at least budget for ball joints soon if you're still running the factories. You're rear DS can survive for a while as is. oh yah, don't forget bump stops and possibly brake lines if not included in the lift.

I'd also mention that if you haven't been through Dirtman's sticky at the top of the modified section, there's a lot of info in there. Link:

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...-lifts-288269/

Last edited by resharp001; 04-28-2017 at 10:31 AM.
Old 04-28-2017, 10:50 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

No budget was listed, to do a proper 4" lift and 37's you should be prepared to spend $7-10K+ Gears are one of the things I see missing from your list as well as upgrades to axles and recovery gear. Mud is tough on a 4x4 and would not recommend trashing a relatively new jeep in the mud.

Don't get caught up on brands and are you planning on a shop doing the work or are you? If a shop is going to do the work, pick a lift that they are going to support. RK is overrated IMO but if that is what you think you need then fine, its your money and your jeep. Rough County lifts are known to be incomplete and do this to suck you into a cheap price. Their joints and shocks do not have a good track record either.

I would look at a kits joints and the completeness of the kit as far as things like adjustable control arms, track bars and that addresses high steer.
there is a link in my signature that explains what the components in you lift do and how they are affected by lifting.
Good luck with the mods.
Old 04-28-2017, 12:02 PM
JK Newbie

Its new to me, but its a 2010 JKU.
Old 04-28-2017, 01:04 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Read up on all of your options. I've got a couple sets of Rock Krawler coils that have seen light usage and damn if they aren't rusting. I won't buy another set after I clean these up and paint them.

Quick Reply: Lift Upgrade