Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

lift difference between rubi and X

Old 11-16-2009, 04:19 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lift difference between rubi and X

Hello. I am in the Military and stationed overseas. I just bought a 08 X model. I was thinking about installing a stock rubi suspention, but I want to know what the overall hight difference is between a X. Also is there any more articulation? I want to run 33" tires and nothing bigger. Will this work? Thanks....
Old 11-16-2009, 04:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there alot of threads on this. it depend on the package the rubi came with from the factory. if it had the hardtop and was a 4 dr with tow package you gain maybe up to an inch if your x came with a soft top and no tow package. i got some unlimited rubi with hard top and tow package suspension that i plan on putting on my 2 dr x with some 3/4" spacers and plan on running 33's im thinking i'll get around an 1 1/2" - 2" of lift which should be plenty for 33's
Old 11-16-2009, 05:03 PM
JK Newbie

Hmm. Sounds like the same old TJ Q's. If you do get any highth out of them they will be stiffer. I don't believe there is a lift on the Rubi's. IMO, save your money and buy a lift.
Old 11-16-2009, 05:16 PM
JK Newbie

I am confussed... I thought installing a rubi(stock) suspention would give me 1-2" of lift. Why would it not give you any lift? Also mine has the hardtop and towing package. Would a 4 door model be the same as a 2 door model? Thanks....
Old 11-16-2009, 05:20 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Chris333
there alot of threads on this. it depend on the package the rubi came with from the factory. if it had the hardtop and was a 4 dr with tow package you gain maybe up to an inch if your x came with a soft top and no tow package. i got some unlimited rubi with hard top and tow package suspension that i plan on putting on my 2 dr x with some 3/4" spacers and plan on running 33's im thinking i'll get around an 1 1/2" - 2" of lift which should be plenty for 33's
I'm not sure that a Rubi with tow package has higher coils than a Rubi without the tow package.
Old 11-16-2009, 05:21 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by NavyChief1974
I am confussed... I thought installing a rubi(stock) suspention would give me 1-2" of lift. Why would it not give you any lift? Also mine has the hardtop and towing package. Would a 4 door model be the same as a 2 door model? Thanks....
The Rubi is not higher than the X or the Sahara

But, the 4 door is a little bit higher than the 2 door
Old 11-16-2009, 05:24 PM
JK Newbie

I have a 2-door Rubi with the tow package. Replaced the fronts with stock 4-door Rubi springs and added a Hanson bumper/Warn Powerplant. With the 180 pounds added I still gained 3/4" (measured after 4 days at Moab to be sure it settled). Yes, 4-door takeoff springs from the right vehicle will lift a 2-door X. Just how much is hard to say, but I bet without that 180 pounds out front mine would have come up around 1.5". The 4-door springs were longer and are not noticably stiffer at all. There are some threads about this if you search. I think I saw a chart with the part numbers (tags on the springs) so you can be sure you are getting the right ones.

Oh...articulation won't change a bit. Still the same droop and compression as determined by the bump stops and shocks.

Last edited by jkrubi; 11-16-2009 at 05:26 PM.
Old 11-16-2009, 05:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hey Chief!

Do a search on this post title - Lets Solve the Stock Springs Question

Or on my handle. Then find that post.

Here's the deal. Take a look at your VIN number. If you have an F in the fourth position of your VIN you have the 4000 to 5000 pound GVW machine. If you have a G then you have a 5000 to 6000 pound GVW machine.

If you have a G, the Rubi springs will not make a difference, in fact depending on what you get you may go backwards.

That post has all the spring part numbers and it's easy to figure out where you are with your spring numbers.

After all of the homework I did I ended up getting the Teraflex 2.5" lift with the shocks. Best thing I ever did. You can run 33's all day and the capability you pick up on the trail is incredible.
Old 11-16-2009, 06:28 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by NavyChief1974
look here:
edmunds.com/apps/nvc/edmunds/VehicleComparison?styleid=101085337&styleid=101085 333&maxvehicles=5&refid=&op=3&tab=print[/url]

Last edited by mkjeep; 11-16-2009 at 07:06 PM. Reason: no non sponsor clickeys please
Old 11-17-2009, 06:56 AM
JK Newbie

Thumbs up

All of the Wrangler models use the same height spring. Some use a slightly stiffer spring rate - 4dr vs 2dr, left vs right side, tow package vs non tow package, etc. However, the difference in spring rates is not enough to give lift, nor is it enough to "fix" rake. The spring rates differ by < 25 lbs each throughout the range put on the different vehicles.

Quick Reply: lift difference between rubi and X