Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Life expectancy of a clutch?

Old 12-16-2008, 07:57 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Life expectancy of a clutch?

Hi everyone,

The JK is our first vehicle, and I'm wondering how we can tell when the clutch is finished... Does it start to slip, or does it grab too much? My wife heated the clutch a few times last year (she was used to driving automatics), and recently I did it myself getting out of a snow bank while wearing skidoo boots. It drives as it should, but I figure we probably shortened the clutch's lifespan...

And on a related note... What are the alternatives to the OEM clutch discs? Are there kits available to improve the clutch? I'll be hauling a 2500lbs-ish trailer in 4lo off-road next year, so upgrading the clutch might be a good idea...

Thanks,
js.
Old 12-16-2008, 08:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Completly depends on the abuse you put it through. It will slip when it start to ware out or your pulling to heavy of a load.
Most often the release bearing wears out long before the clutch disk and then people just opt out to change out everything while the tranny is removed.

Burning the clutch once in awile isn't the end of the world and well, that is what it was desighned to do, theirs also a big ass heavy flywheel to absorb all that heat so it would probably take hours of clutch burn to glaze/warp/damage the flywheel .
Works the exact same as breaks, except to accelerate instead of decellerat, so treat it the same way ie if you do alot of stop and go you'll need a break job before the guy who spends all his time on the hyway, ride the clutch everyday all day and you may have to change it in 5 years while the guy always on the hyway can see 300K miles on original clutch 20 yrs later.
Old 12-16-2008, 02:01 PM
JK Super Freak

999666 has a lot of good points. It's all about the stresses you put it through. Shifting is important too. smooth shifting is better for the clutch were as herky jerky shifts put wear on the clutch.
Old 12-16-2008, 05:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have to disagree with one of the comments about it taking a long time to burn out a clutch. Worked in the automotive field for 40 plus years, I have seen cluthces destroyed by the driver in a few days, not weeks or months. Slippage is the problem. If you can smell the clutch plate, you have excessively overheated it. It could fail very soon. They usually will slip in the higher gears first and not in the lower gears. If it starts to slip just shift down until you can get the clutch replaced. Good idea to resurface the flywheel, new pilot bearing as well as pressure plate and clutch.
Old 12-16-2008, 05:07 PM
JK Newbie

I have been wondering about the longivity of the JK clutch myself...

I traded my last Jeep, a 89 commanche, with 250k and the original clutch, can I expect the same from the JK?
Old 12-16-2008, 05:42 PM
JK Freak

WOW! many great answers to your clutch longevity question.
I can tell you that it won't last as long as an automatic especially when you stress it...

Sorry, I couldn't resist...

Last edited by randyd; 12-16-2008 at 06:03 PM.
Old 12-16-2008, 05:52 PM
JK Super Freak

if each time you are riding the clutch and you get that lovely burn't brakes smell you are shortening the lifespan but if your are talking 5 times and no smell J.S. I wouldn't worry about it

as for pulling your trailer yes it adds to the stress on it but you should get at least a good 100 000 out of her

my tj had 220 000 km on the original clutch disc and was still good but she was my baby
my yj had to change it at 180 000 km only because the my cylinder failed and the clutch engaged incorrectly and burned in 5mins that was fun day

but by the way you take care of your machine and seen you drive sleep tight
Old 12-17-2008, 05:59 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by -MAW-
if each time you are riding the clutch and you get that lovely burn't brakes smell you are shortening the lifespan but if your are talking 5 times and no smell J.S. I wouldn't worry about it
I'd say 3-4 times now WITH that sharp plastic smell, but no smoke. I was responsible for 1 of those times -- live and learn -- skidoo boots should be avoided when working the Jeep out of a snow bank. :-)

js.
Old 12-17-2008, 10:58 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Clutch life

I too work in the automotive repair business. I had a YJ that the Mitsubishi transmission failed on at 150,000 miles. The clutch still looked and performed like new. Smart guy I am, I said I'll replace the clutch too. I didn't use a Mopar clutch. I went aftermarket. BIG MISTAKE. After a couple of thousand miles the aftermarket clutch went all to hell. All to save $90.00. Your clutch is not hurt yet, you will know when it is. It will get grabby or chattery, or will slip when full throttled in 5th gear. Replace the pressure plate and disc with Mopar, but DO NOT use a Mopar throwout bearing. Most everyone is having trouble with them. Reasonable use out of a non-abused clutch should get you at least 100-125,000 miles....

Quick Reply: Life expectancy of a clutch?