Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Lets Solve the Stock Springs Question

Old 10-12-2009, 05:26 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Great info in this thread.. I'm swapping 13-14, with 17-18s

I just snapped up at set of springs on e bay for $105. Seem to be fairly new springs, as the tags are shiny and white. Thanks to this thread, I know i'm switching from my XXX13, and 14 , to a 17, 18, meaning a number of extra twists, and corresponding increase in height. Will measure exact height changes mid hub to top of wheel well, front and back and report back on height, ride quality.

Has anyone run stiffer springs without swapping out shocks? Should I be searching e bay for rubi shocks as well before I attempt anythings? Would imagine, more height, and stiffer springs will overpower the 2dr sahara shocks?

DocJake
Old 10-17-2009, 12:40 PM
JK Newbie

Default reporting results of swap

ok well...as promised I'm posting my results of swapping new 2 dr JK springs, with used 4 dr JK Rubi springs. The result is 1 full inch in front, and 3/4 inch in back. This should prove useful in terms of stiffer ride, increased clearance for my upcoming 33's, and in the springs looking bone stock to any Svc Managers.

I went from what came on my 09 JK Sahara 2 dr with soft top and tow package, XXXXX-13, and 14, up to XXXXX-17, 18 in front, and 4255A in rear to 4248A in rear. After checking the part numbers against this fantastic thread it seems the springs I upgraded to are typically found in a 4 door rubicon with tow package.

As measuring from tire to fender varies with pressure in tires, and with wheel diameter, I decided to choose a solid surface mounted on the undercarriage and something below the spring in as vertical a line as possible. I don't know the exact names, but seemed to be the lower edge of shock mounts on bottom, and horizontal of the undercarriage on top. As top of axle is not in line with the fendertop, this wasn't possible, though in theory the simplest. Next stop.. wheels!
Original rear:

Original front:

Result front:

Result rear:

Last edited by DocJake; 10-17-2009 at 06:23 PM.
Old 10-17-2009, 04:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

I currently have 68004459AA springs on the rear of my 4Dr X.

I was able to aquire some 4dr Rubi springs for free. the Front springs are higher numbers so we have concluded that the front springs are slightly longer / stiffer.

My question is would the same logic apply to the rear springs? My Stock springs end in 4459 and the rubi's end in 4457. Does that mean that my stock rear springs are longer / stiffer than the ones I got from the rubi?
Doing the front swap this week and need to know what I should do with the rears.

Thanks
Old 10-17-2009, 06:32 PM
JK Newbie

Default both front springs identical? hmmm

The mystery here lies in the fact that everyone here has reported two different springs up front with a one digit difference between sides. My springs arrived from e-bay with one of the front missing its number. Only the XXX-17AB was labelled. As some reported that each number higher represents an extra half twist of coil, I stood mine together to see if I most likely had a 16/17, or a 17/18. Alas...the coils were identical in weight, height, and turns.

So what was it? Two 17's in the front of the rubi they came from? That would be a first according to the results of this thread. More likely, some have same height and turns, but different spring rates?

I took the chance and put the 17 on the left, as all but one example had the odd number as the lower of the pair. I notice no leaning to either side. Wonder if we can contact the folks at Jeep headquarters and get the official word on this perplexing issue.

Riptyd, I can't draw any conclusion from the rears.. my second to last digit went down, but last digit went up. The end result was a modest 3/4 inch rise. Thank god someone above listed that spring as having come from a Rubi-Unlimited with Tow Package or I may not have swapped it. I notice earlier in this thread, your new rear spring number is also on someone's Unlimited X with Tow Package.

Last edited by DocJake; 10-17-2009 at 06:38 PM.
Old 10-18-2009, 06:10 AM
JK Newbie

Default wow..rubi and other shocks same?

That's interesting about the rubi reds and the black. Not sure why they would bother to make a second production line of red shocks that serve the same purpose other than pure cosmetics, but did Jeep assume Rubi owners spend a large amount of time on their backs looking at their undercarriage?

I too have heard from several on this board, that each spring number higher corresponds to an extra half twist of coil. Additionally, that every set encountered had a left and right that varied by one. The set I grabbed from a 08 Rubi-Unlimited had two springs for front identical in appearance and height. That makes me question whether every number higher is necessarily different in appearance as opposed to spring-rate only. The other explanation is that Jeep let one roll off with two of the same front springs, which would be a first.

Wish I was friendly with the Service Dept. I would grab one of every spring, line them up side by side, photograph and measure them. I'm going to go photograph mine and give exact measurements of height. Perhaps we can end up with a definitive conclusion.
Old 10-18-2009, 08:59 AM
JK Newbie

Default mythbusters...1/2 twist per spring number not always true

Took the old springs out and measured as promised. The surprise is that although my the left and right rubi front springs I bought were identical, the difference between my original 6313AC and 6314AC were a full twist, and full inch different.

Spring: Height:

xxx-13 16 1/4 "
xxx-14 17 1/4 "

Rear:

4255AA 13 7/8 "

Can someone add their height/spring numbers to our growing database?

full twist apart

difference:
Old 10-18-2009, 06:31 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

hazcad do the rubicon coils and shocks ride stiffer making for a rougher ride? or do you think they would keep bigger tires to the pavement, making for a smoother ride?

i've gathered that from the unlimited rubicon coils and shocks, they are heavier rated, so swapping them out with my stock X stuff would make my jeep ride rougher than it already does. would you agree?
Old 10-19-2009, 05:27 AM
JK Newbie

Default Stiffer Ride

Hey Yamaha,

Hazcad is right. I just upgraded from stock springs on my 2 Dr. Sahara Softy with tow package to the 4 Door Rubi Hardtop Tow Package. The ride is definitely firmer, though not uncomfortably so. Cracked pavement and debris, no effect. Things like holes, and speedbumps, definitely jumpier. There is slightly less lean in turns, and the 1" height increase somehow feels like more while driving. If you up your suspension, the ride will be somewhat stiffer.

Last edited by DocJake; 10-19-2009 at 10:05 AM.
Old 10-19-2009, 05:24 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

well that kinda sucks.. i was hoping the ride wouldn't really change, but i figured it would. i have the opportunity to get 4 shocks and coils from a 4 door rubicon with hardtop for $75.00 i think my jeep would look even better with an extra inch, and i don't wanna go with a body lift. with my BB my jeep rides rough enough already while running all stock components and shock extensions. and i don't really have the money to throw into something like that and then have my jeep ride worse and waist the time doing everything. hmm...
Old 10-19-2009, 05:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yesterday I swapped my x springs for rubi springs. I also added JKS ACOS adjustable coil spacers. The coils spacers were adjusted to give me 1" of lift. The minimum you get just by adding them. Usinjg the aformentioned logic my spring swap should add another 1" of lift. Despite the fact that I have the tow package my front had terrible droop. if I put my fist in between thr front tire and fender I could not move my thumb. After adding these 2 components I have just over 2 inches more lift and my jeep is almost level. I can still adjust the spacers and get an additional 2.5" of front end lift. When I add my discos I will adjust it another inch or so to be completely level. Like I said I had terrible front end sag of about 3" before starting.

Before

Before

After

After

Last edited by Riptyd; 10-19-2009 at 06:11 PM.

Quick Reply: Lets Solve the Stock Springs Question