Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Lets Solve the Stock Springs Question

Old 01-31-2020, 10:52 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by zorca
Hi, i'm a newbie to this forum and jeeps in general. My front coils are 6314AC (pass) and i would like to replace all the springs with softer ones. What number refers to the spring rate? I don't want to lift or lower, just a nicer ride.

mark

The last 2 numbers refer to spring rate. The backs will be different than the fronts. 14s, like you have, are about as light as it gets. Going lighter would be softer, but will lower the Jeep. Going higher will be stiffer, but will lift the Jeep higher.

You are better of purchasing a quality set of shocks, rather than messing with the springs if you aren't wanting to change ride height. Look into something like Rancho 9000s since they are adjustable.

I run Bilstein 5100s. They are stiff. I prefer a stiff shock, it makes the Jeep womble about less when you hit a bump at slow speeds.

Happy Jeeping!
Old 05-06-2020, 11:38 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello.
I have 2010 JKU Rubicon Hardtop 3.8. Installed Aniversary front bumper and going to install winch.
Thinking of replcaing front springs by most stiff ones from stock setup.
What about diesel springs, does it worth it? What is the weight difference between Petrol and Diesel models?
And what are the longest and hardest shocks from stock models?
Old 05-07-2020, 06:04 PM
Super Moderator

Received 476 Likes on 427 Posts

Architectorus - you are better off to use a Terraflex levelling kit and install some adjustable shocks like Rancho 9000. Adjustable for both compression and extension. Levelling kits lift that saggy front end.
Old 05-23-2020, 01:23 PM
JK Newbie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2015 sahara unlimited auto tow package springs

1 - Sahara Unlimited Auto and Tow Package
2 - Dual Top
3 - Front Left & Right Spring Number: 52126317AC (same on both sides)
4 - Your Rear Spring Number: 68004458AA
5 - Your Shock Part Number: Black
6 - The fourth Digit in your VIN: B
7 - 2015

Old 01-18-2022, 07:13 PM
JK Newbie

So I bought a 2013 Sahara 2-door that someone lowered. I went for it as they was all that was done to the suspension and the thing was crazy low miles (9250). I posted info about this in another thread but was directed to this one as swapping stock springs may be my best bet. I only do light to barely medium off-roading, along with going on the beach occasionally as well as easier trails out west from time to time.

So I came across a set of basically new take-off Rubicon springs 17/18 front and 60 rear. I don't have a starting point as my Jeep is right now about an 1 1/2 to 2" lower. I like the pics of the swaps I have seen and would like to run 33's, most likely in 275/70/18 tires. My Jef is also a toad so i don't want to go crazy. Anyway, Are the springs enough or should I throw in a leveling kit like one from Terraflex? I also am guessing the shocks need to be replaced or are the stock Sahara gas shock fine. If I replaced them I would probably go with either Fox 2.0 or Rancho 9000's. With the springs and leveling kit, is there anything else I should consider since I would do some trail riding. Never will be rock crawling but small tree's and boulders tend to show up here and there as well as washouts etc. Wood I benefit fro a beefier trackbar such as a heavy duty adjustable one from Terraflex or someone else? Don't want to go super crazy but i do believe in at least putting in better components if they are warranted. Don't mind a mild lift just do't want a full on 2-2.5" one that seems to generate even more than that.

Lastly, I am not going to be replacing my stock bumpers. While it does look great, and they do function well, I think for my limited user off-road it would be a waste. I drive the Jef occasionally and for fun. It's also a toad behind my motorhome so it does have a Rock Jock skid plate that I tow from. That adds 20lbs or so. I may consider a winch mount above the bumper in the future as I have run into a couple of times it would have been handy but that is a big if.

Anyway, sorry for the long post just hoping to get advice from those that are more familiar. Thanks and appreciate any insight.
Old 01-19-2022, 06:32 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

You likely have 3.21 gears in the axles which would make your jeep feel lacking in power. Moving up in tire size will make it worse. Today gears are +- $2k installed. It would be good to find this out before you start modding.

With a leveling kit you can run your stock shocks, most companies that offer the leveling kits will also offer shock extensions to maintain full travel of the shocks. If youare going the stock coils route you could aslo just buy a lower coil number for the rear coils and the highest up front and not need the leveling kit. Not a fan of teraflex, other prefer companies out there like Metal Cloak, Synergy, Off Road Evolution, Rock Jock, OME.

You are going to have rocks, trees, and RUTS when going off road. The ruts will be the most challenging off road an is where you are going to get stuck.

I would recommend you go out on a couple of trial rides with a group and see what its like before wasting time an effort on a mild build. Some get addicted to the trails and factory coils and 33's is not going to cut it, you will be doing it all over again with bigger tires and a more expensive lift. In all reality I would sell the Sahara and find a Rubicon model with factory 4.10 gears and throw some 35's on it with some wheel adapters and a 2" lift or some flat fenders. That will be a mild build that you could run just about anywhere as you are improving your off road driving skills. It will give you proper gearing, strong front axle, lockers, and tires that will allow you to run around in Moab or the Rubicon should you find yourself in those areas in the future.

If you should like the trail riding more and more you will add things like sliders, armor, bumpers and a winch. All these things will weight you down and coils that can handle more weight will be needed as the factory coils will sag quite a bit under the load.

Good luck with the build.
Old 01-19-2022, 05:34 PM
JK Newbie

I understand what you are saying and agree with your points. While I do enjoy getting off-road I prefer to keep it simple. Usually to get to something I want to see. I just don't personally have a lot of interest of getting into it further and won't build up as I go forward.

I am intersted in the Rubicon springs because they give me a little lift just to get to 33" tires while still having a little travel. I only mentioned the leveling kit to just get a tiny bit more. What I am curious about is if I go this route what else I would need to set it up.

What I want to know is this.
- Are the Sahara shocks going to work or are they too short? I still plan on going with Fox or Rancho shocks in the future.
- Should I look into investing in a beefier for a front track bar? I understand there will be minimal axle adjustment needed but I don't see anything wrong with a beefier component if you plan on keeping the vehicle.
- Should I consider beefing up the rest of the steering linkage down the road?I understand it is not being lifted but wondering if it helps or not. I tend ti find quirky vehicles like this and not ever get rid of them so no loss in money when getting rid of it.
- Is there anything else I would need to consider? Sway bar end links, anything else. Reading through this thread it appears I can expect about 2" tops in the front over stock. Henstly that is all I would ever want. I don't want to lift it very much.

I also get the 33" tires will be more work for the motor. From all of the reading I have been doing it seems that size isn't that bad. Anything larger and then it starts to really be a hit on power. I don't plan to regear as I don't need to. Also, as I mentioned, the previous owner lowered the Jeep so at this point I just need to get it back to a more normal height.
Old 01-19-2022, 07:11 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by hunter99
Also, as I mentioned, the previous owner lowered the Jeep so at this point I just need to get it back to a more normal height.
Keep something in mind as you think through your build plan:
From Lowered 2" under stock height to Raised 2-4" over stock height = 4" - 6" lift from current height. Not 2. ( +2" remove lowering coils / +2" stock coils from heavier 4door / + 2" leveling kit)

On the assumption that you are currently running the original shocks with the lowering coils - those shocks are borderline over-compressed at ride height. The tires can't move up much before the shocks/stops bottom out (even though there may be plenty of room for the tire in the wheel well...), but that also means a bunch of down-travel to keep the tires on the ground. Raising the suspension higher than stock height will just swap it around. Instead of 50/50 uptravel/downtravel the shock is designed for, it would now be more up-travel, less down-travel. Up to you whether to invest in appropriate length shocks (or shock brackets) for a new taller-than-stock ride height.

Should you go out and buy a HD trackbar just for a strength upgrade? Nah, hold off until you find a need to replace the current bar. But, past the strength argument, is the actual function of those bars. They center the axles left/right underneath the jeep. Again, assuming it is the stock trackbars being used with lowering coils, both axles are offset to opposite sides instead of centered. (are they?) If you go back to stock height, the axles will center. And as you go above stock height, they will start pushing the other way. So yeah, beyond the strength aspect, this could be another reason you might talk yourself into a front adj trackbar and/or rear trackbar bracket. If offset tires don't bother you, leave it alone.

The rest of the steering components? Nah, I don't think you currently have a need to spend that money either, but, arguments can be made, and stronger isn't a bad thing.

Swaybar links are the same situation as the trackbars and shocks. The swaybars started roughly level, are currently angled up due to the lowering coils, and if you end up taller than stock height, they will be angled down instead of up. Doubt that a flipped swaybar is something you would run into with your stated use, but, angled down is worse than the current angled up. If you find yourself taller than stock with a front swaybar angled down, longer links or brackets wouldn't be a bad call.

Gearing, completely subjective. Drive it with the new tires and see what you think.

Last edited by nthinuf; 01-19-2022 at 07:30 PM.
Old 01-20-2022, 11:43 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by nthinuf
Keep something in mind as you think through your build plan:
From Lowered 2" under stock height to Raised 2-4" over stock height = 4" - 6" lift from current height. Not 2. ( +2" remove lowering coils / +2" stock coils from heavier 4door / + 2" leveling kit)

On the assumption that you are currently running the original shocks with the lowering coils - those shocks are borderline over-compressed at ride height. The tires can't move up much before the shocks/stops bottom out (even though there may be plenty of room for the tire in the wheel well...), but that also means a bunch of down-travel to keep the tires on the ground. Raising the suspension higher than stock height will just swap it around. Instead of 50/50 uptravel/downtravel the shock is designed for, it would now be more up-travel, less down-travel. Up to you whether to invest in appropriate length shocks (or shock brackets) for a new taller-than-stock ride height.

Should you go out and buy a HD trackbar just for a strength upgrade? Nah, hold off until you find a need to replace the current bar. But, past the strength argument, is the actual function of those bars. They center the axles left/right underneath the jeep. Again, assuming it is the stock trackbars being used with lowering coils, both axles are offset to opposite sides instead of centered. (are they?) If you go back to stock height, the axles will center. And as you go above stock height, they will start pushing the other way. So yeah, beyond the strength aspect, this could be another reason you might talk yourself into a front adj trackbar and/or rear trackbar bracket. If offset tires don't bother you, leave it alone.

The rest of the steering components? Nah, I don't think you currently have a need to spend that money either, but, arguments can be made, and stronger isn't a bad thing.

Swaybar links are the same situation as the trackbars and shocks. The swaybars started roughly level, are currently angled up due to the lowering coils, and if you end up taller than stock height, they will be angled down instead of up. Doubt that a flipped swaybar is something you would run into with your stated use, but, angled down is worse than the current angled up. If you find yourself taller than stock with a front swaybar angled down, longer links or brackets wouldn't be a bad call.

Gearing, completely subjective. Drive it with the new tires and see what you think.
Great advise and I appreciate it. I did account for the lift being from stock height. I did have a 2007 for about a month and a half that was stock height.

I am still debating just getting a good lift kit but being that the Jeep will probably see 85 to 90% on-road use I just don't feel it's worth the cost to put into it. That being said I just found someone else that has the rubicon springs and shocks that were take offs at around 500 miles. Just been sitting in is garage and he doesn't want t mint for them.

My thinking was to get the Jeep lifted up to get it off the bump stops. I was just figuring if the rubicon springs are good, and provide a decent lift, might as go for that instead of the ones that wouldn't have been on the Sahara models anyway. If I get the shocks I figure I can always upgrade to better ones later anyway. Seems like that may be my better course of action.
Old 01-20-2022, 03:42 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

There is no such thing as "Rubicon springs".
Damn, I wish I had time to wheel 36-55 days a year.

Quick Reply: Lets Solve the Stock Springs Question