Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Lets Solve the Stock Springs Question

Old 12-30-2012, 03:30 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by catahoula
Hey Jason,
Can you post some pics? Would love to see how yours looks. Working towards same mod
Will do...just finished plowing my driveway, tomorrow I will take a few pics and post.
Old 12-31-2012, 07:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

If I remeber correctly I did the 60's, and a 1 3/4 daystar budget boost. Now I need trackbar brackets because I got almost 3 1/2 inches of lift. You can see the axles are pulling to one side. I have a 2 door x
Old 12-31-2012, 07:22 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by minime
If I remeber correctly I did the 60's, and a 1 3/4 daystar budget boost. Now I need trackbar brackets because I got almost 3 1/2 inches of lift. You can see the axles are pulling to one side. I have a 2 door x
Love to see some pics
Old 01-13-2013, 09:28 AM
JK Newbie

Hey guys, was wondering if you can shed some light, I would appreciate it as I'm still a bit confused here.

I've got a '12 Sahara 2dr (without tow package) and I'll be swapping to the springs and shocks from a '12 Rubicon 4dr (with tow package), and adding the TF leveling kit.

My OEM springs are 13/56 and the Rubi's are 19/59. Going by 1/2" of lift per part #, and then combined with the TF leveling kit (supposedly adds 2" to the front and 1" to the rear), it seems like I'd be getting about 2.5" in the rear but an absolutely silly amount in the front--how can that be?

I'm only looking for a budget boost that'll give me 2-2.5" lift, not planning on changing out any other components. Hopefully I'm doing the right thing!

Last edited by MikeK46; 01-13-2013 at 10:00 AM.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:04 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Going from the 13s to the 19s you will see right at 2 1/2 of lift, and from 56 to 59s you will see an inch and 1/2 I think. I went from 13s to 17s, and then put 19s on in the front. I got an inch and 3/4 the first time and then added the 19 for about another 3/4 of an inch. Mines level with just the 19/59 coils. If it were me and I wanted more I would buy a 2.5 kit, because you will probably get a little more than that. If you've already got the leveling kit, I would use 1 inch spacers on all corners unless you have a really heavy front end. With just the 19/59s I added longer sway bar links in the front. With more lift than that you will need a front trackbar to adjust things maybe a bracket I'm not sure. Hope this helps. With the 2 inch spacers in the front you will get 4 inches or more, maybe 4.5. Don't know what you want, but may cost some money to get things right in the front end. Probably a wild goose chase!!! That's why I would buy a kit that's been properly thought out if I wanted that much lift.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:26 AM
JK Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default why does my 2012 have

the same spring number tag on right and left the # is52126314ac and the exact same on left side is this correct or factory mess up?

rears are ending with # 56ac

im just trying to compensate for a bumper and winch in my future should I go to 18/59 or they have spring ending with #17 if I got two 17s up front would I even have to change rear springs or do you always change rears when changing front

what rear would go with #17s if I stepped up to that spring or do I just go to 18/59s and then not worry about bumper winch lol

quite confusing this changing spring rates I like the factory rake however im adding a heavy bumper ps mid with skid weight @125lbs plus maybe a winch maybe not not sure yet on that
Old 01-13-2013, 02:33 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JLsJK
Going from the 13s to the 19s you will see right at 2 1/2 of lift, and from 56 to 59s you will see an inch and 1/2 I think. I went from 13s to 17s, and then put 19s on in the front. I got an inch and 3/4 the first time and then added the 19 for about another 3/4 of an inch. Mines level with just the 19/59 coils. If it were me and I wanted more I would buy a 2.5 kit, because you will probably get a little more than that. If you've already got the leveling kit, I would use 1 inch spacers on all corners unless you have a really heavy front end. With just the 19/59s I added longer sway bar links in the front. With more lift than that you will need a front trackbar to adjust things maybe a bracket I'm not sure. Hope this helps. With the 2 inch spacers in the front you will get 4 inches or more, maybe 4.5. Don't know what you want, but may cost some money to get things right in the front end. Probably a wild goose chase!!! That's why I would buy a kit that's been properly thought out if I wanted that much lift.
Thanks! Just picked up the JKUR shocks & springs. The springs are actually 18/59 (not 19/59). And also just double checked my rear springs and they're 55, not 56.

So I'm going from 13/55 to 18/59.

Based on your info, I guess I would see about 2 inches lift up front from the springs, plus adding one spacer will get me to 3 inches higher. (Adding the second spacer would get me to 4 inches...too high I imagine....I'll leave it off).

For the rear, I would see about 1.5 inches lift from the springs, plus adding one spacer will get me to 2.5 inches higher.

That works!

Last edited by MikeK46; 01-13-2013 at 02:36 PM.
Old 01-13-2013, 02:39 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeK46
Thanks! Just picked up the JKUR shocks & springs. The springs are actually 18/59 (not 19/59). And also just double checked my rear springs and they're 55, not 56.

So I'm going from 13/55 to 18/59.

Based on your info, I guess I would see about 2 inches lift up front from the springs, plus adding one spacer will get me to 3 inches higher. (Adding the second spacer would get me to 4 inches...too high I imagine....I'll leave it off).

For the rear, I would see about 1.5 inches lift from the springs, plus adding one spacer will get me to 2.5 inches higher.

That works!
Post some pics Mike. I went from 14/55's to 18/59's very happy. Now I'm looking at Teraflex leveling kit. On the fence about either installing complete kit or just adding spacer like you. There is a white Jeep in "show off your leveling kit" on page 16 or 17 with same spring set up and levelinbg kit with 255's stock rubi's on.
Old 01-13-2013, 02:44 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's what I would do. The one spacer thing unless your going to put a heavy bumper and winch, then I'd go ahead put it all in there. There's a guy on here that did the one spacer and 4door springs and he runs 37 inch tires. I ran across his jeep in one of the 37 threads. It's a blue jk and looks really good. Sounds similar to what your doing.
Old 01-13-2013, 03:26 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JLsJK
That's what I would do. The one spacer thing unless your going to put a heavy bumper and winch, then I'd go ahead put it all in there. There's a guy on here that did the one spacer and 4door springs and he runs 37 inch tires. I ran across his jeep in one of the 37 threads. It's a blue jk and looks really good. Sounds similar to what your doing.
I do have a heavy bumper on the Jeep, no winch though, as you can see from the photo below, but I really didn't notice any sag after I installed it. The bumper's been on less than a week, though, and I guess sag is possible over time. If it happens I will simply install the second spacer at that point.

Originally Posted by catahoula
Post some pics Mike. I went from 14/55's to 18/59's very happy. Now I'm looking at Teraflex leveling kit. On the fence about either installing complete kit or just adding spacer like you. There is a white Jeep in "show off your leveling kit" on page 16 or 17 with same spring set up and levelinbg kit with 255's stock rubi's on.
Yep I'll definitely post the pics once I get the parts installed. Here's how the Jeep currently sits on OEM suspension (13/55's) with a PSC front bumper & skid. Visually the front looks about a half inch down from the rear.

And these are the parts I picked up today, 18/59 springs, shocks, coil spacers and sway bar links.

Last edited by MikeK46; 01-13-2013 at 03:28 PM.

Quick Reply: Lets Solve the Stock Springs Question