Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Lets Solve the Stock Springs Question

Old 01-10-2012, 03:49 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by atomthompson
Just installed mine today. Went from 14/55 to 18/59. 2dr sport with Rugged Ridge XHD front bumper with winch. Stock rear bumber. Full tank of gas. Backseat still in the rig. Here's the measurements:
DF: 34.75 to 36.5 (1.75 lift)
PF: 35.00 to 36.5 (1.5 lift)
DR: 34.50 to 36 (1.5 lift)
PR: 34.75 to 36 (1.25 lift)

Ride was a little stiffer but also smoother with the shocks. In all I say it's an improvement. Going to take it down a rough road in a few days and then offroad it next weekend to test it all out. Took us about 3hrs but that was also with plenty of talking involved and having a problem bolt. Track bars are a pain, definitely recommend using a ratcheting strap to pull the axel over.
I can really use your input..

I have a 2 door sport with 14/55's and I am about to install 18/59's. You have the heavier front bumper and winch,I am still stock. Do you have a hard top? Did you have a nose down rake with the 14/55's? I would expect it was pretty pronounced with the addition of the bumper and which.

Did the 18/59's fix the fore-aft rake?

I have a leveling kit in as well and I am considering removing one spacer per side in the front leaving one spacer per corner but I don't want to do this and end up with the rake again. If the 18/59's cure the rake for you, and you have the hard top along with the heavier front bumper then leaving both spacers in mine will leave me nose high.
Old 01-10-2012, 04:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'll try to post a pic in a little bit. I think she sits level right now. Maybe a slight rake. My measurements were taken at the center of the fenders so if you still have factory ones you can compare to what I started and ended with. And yes I have a hardtop.
Not sure how much the bumper and winch weigh compared to the stock, it's heavier but I don't know if it's significant. I have some Daystar 3/4 spacers that came in today, not sure when/if I'll install. Going to test the rig out this weekend.
Old 01-10-2012, 05:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Here's how she sits afterwards. Can't find a good before shot right now to compare her to.

Click image for larger version

Name:	0110121730a.jpg
Views:	505
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	262507

Now time to go for a slight upgrade on tire size.
Old 01-10-2012, 06:37 PM
JK Super Freak

I just had another person ask me how much lift I have. It was the guy that bought my stock 17" wheels.
Old 01-10-2012, 07:54 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by MikekiM
I can really use your input..

I have a 2 door sport with 14/55's and I am about to install 18/59's. You have the heavier front bumper and winch,I am still stock. Do you have a hard top? Did you have a nose down rake with the 14/55's? I would expect it was pretty pronounced with the addition of the bumper and which.

Did the 18/59's fix the fore-aft rake?

I have a leveling kit in as well and I am considering removing one spacer per side in the front leaving one spacer per corner but I don't want to do this and end up with the rake again. If the 18/59's cure the rake for you, and you have the hard top along with the heavier front bumper then leaving both spacers in mine will leave me nose high.
I had the 13/56 springs on my new Sahara 2dr. and went with the 18/59's. Stock bumpers, and the rake is gone. I notice a slight difference in the ride but it is very nill. So I ended up gaining 1.75" in the front and 1.25" in the rear, Im liking it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	4.4 FINAL.jpg
Views:	373
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	262559  
Old 01-11-2012, 04:32 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by atomthompson
Here's how she sits afterwards. Can't find a good before shot right now to compare her to.

Attachment 262507
Thanks.. Since you appear to still have some rake, I am leaning towards leaving the second spacer up front..

Originally Posted by BillyPete
I had the 13/56 springs on my new Sahara 2dr. and went with the 18/59's. Stock bumpers, and the rake is gone. I notice a slight difference in the ride but it is very nill. So I ended up gaining 1.75" in the front and 1.25" in the rear, Im liking it.
Thank you.. !

I have OBA and a HiLift up front.. Can't tell if your image was shot straight or not.. but again, I am thinking of leaving the second spacer up front. Once the soft top goes on, it will even out any rearward rake I might have...

Looking forward to this!!
Old 01-11-2012, 07:27 AM
JK Newbie

Thank you.. !

I have OBA and a HiLift up front.. Can't tell if your image was shot straight or not.. but again, I am thinking of leaving the second spacer up front. Once the soft top goes on, it will even out any rearward rake I might have...

Looking forward to this!!

A couple more observations, the measurement when complete, from the center wheel well to the ground, front to back should not be the same. If you want to remove the rake it needs to measure about 1/2-3/4" higher in the front due to the mounted design of the fender. The Ruibi JKU springs did that for me on mine, if not you will need a spacer.

Also after my stock Rubi shock install I noticed alot rougher ride, so I reinstalled the stock Sahara mono-tubes and regained all but a small bit of the original stock ride.

Good luck with your swap, its an easy project anyways.

Last edited by BillyPete; 01-11-2012 at 08:37 PM.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks.. Since you appear to still have some rake, I am leaning towards leaving the second spacer up front..

Thank you.. !
I just installed 3/4in spacers up front (couldn't do the rear without spring compressors). I'll try to get a shot of it now at the same spot from yesterday. Also put on jks adjustable trackbars to fix the alignment. They were off a good amount.
Old 01-11-2012, 10:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Here she is with the 3/4" spacer up front.
Click image for larger version

Name:	0111122130.jpg
Views:	1895
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	262959
Old 01-12-2012, 02:25 AM
JK Super Freak

So this would be.....

After installing 18/59's, without the TF spacer up front

and then... After installing 18/59's, with the TF spacer up front

And you needed the Track Bar after installing the spacer? What are the indicators that the track-bar is needed? How long did you go without it? What is the impact of driving without it?

Quick Reply: Lets Solve the Stock Springs Question