Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Lemon law advice??

Old 12-27-2008, 04:04 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I started this process with my Dodge Ram. I had 13 months on my lease remaining and never ended the lemon law case because my lease ended before a settlement was reached. It was such an uphill battle and PITA. I had an issue that it would shut off while driving, lock up the steering column and minimize the brake capacity. Chrysler did not seem to have any issue with me putting my kids in it. They did offer me a whole $500 to go toward my Jeep when I bought it. If I would have continued, I am sure they would have done something, but I think they knew my time was limited in owning the vehicle.
Old 12-27-2008, 04:46 PM
JK Newbie

wow that is a horrible story. I have a feeling thats what mine might be like being the whole different state issue. I honestly dont feel like my jeep is a lemon, I think it is more the poor dealership service. The last time they returned it i crawled under it and looked at the seal on the evap canister and there was sand and dirt all around the fittings. I honestly dont know what they are doing when i take it in cause i dont see any work being done to it.
Old 12-27-2008, 06:25 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Infidel616
wow that is a horrible story. I have a feeling thats what mine might be like being the whole different state issue. I honestly dont feel like my jeep is a lemon, I think it is more the poor dealership service. The last time they returned it i crawled under it and looked at the seal on the evap canister and there was sand and dirt all around the fittings. I honestly dont know what they are doing when i take it in cause i dont see any work being done to it.

Have you tried another dealership? Maybe having a fresh set of eyes and new opinions may be best. I know that Chrysler suggested I try a second dealership to fix the problem before they would get a Regional Manager involved.
Old 12-28-2008, 03:44 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by 08UnlimitedSahara810
Have you tried another dealership? Maybe having a fresh set of eyes and new opinions may be best. I know that Chrysler suggested I try a second dealership to fix the problem before they would get a Regional Manager involved.
yeah i have taken it to two dealerships however the first was a chrysler, dodge. Not exactly a jeep dealer but same techs i guess. I thought maybe a real jeep dealer would be better but they are worse than the first. Their customer service was absolutely horrible.
Old 12-28-2008, 05:43 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I am in the process of Lemon on my JK now... 50+ days out of service since I got it exactly 1 year ago... im an ohio resident... there are a couple things to think about in the current state of affairs with the auto industry... these resulted in extended conversation with my attorney... im using a firm out of dayton that specializes only in such cases....

1] if you truly meet the criteria for a full blown Lemon and not a shaky case or just a "problem vehicle" then you dont Have to accept any offer that chrysler comes up with you CAN take it all the way to court or accept only an offer that fully fulfills the law...

in ohio you can ask for the to reimburse your full purchase price (minus any neg. equity),
the full amount of any payments you made (including interest), reimbursement for any parts and labor cost that you have receipts for accessories and non warranty-voiding Modifications.. reimbursement for any rental car charges....

they will not reimburse you for Lost work time, lost emplyment or extra fuel charges associated with renting a car..

they will not charge you usage charges however your vehicle cant be roughly treated or they have a right to charge you damages..

now thats what you can get if you take it all the way to the end... however remember if chrysler files for any sort of bankruptcy protection you will lose all capacity to do anything as they are protected from civil suit in that case....

the other thing you can do is vehicle replacement which is what I have chosen to do... it has a lot less time involved... I filed my papers in mid october and my Jeep is currently in Order status... in my case since my Jeep was special ordered there wasnt one wit hthe same option set on any Lot.. so we ordered one identical to it excpet a different color... and chrysler is even going to install the U-connect / Ipod doc which I had put in my current one...

of course with toledo on extended shutdown I wont get the Jeep till feb sometime im guessing.. but normally yhey will "hot tag" your order in which case it normally is built and then shipped within 2 weeks or less...

they will WANT you to take one fro ma lot somewhere.. but I refused as i would Lose options.. and to get what I have now anything on a lot was way more MSRP then they were willing to absorb. as it is the sticker on a new one for 2009 vs 2008 is about $1000 higher and they are absorbing that....

if you want a different Jeep vehicle than a wrangler or you want to Upgrade you will LOSE bigtime.. as they will take your negotiated price you payed for your current one and apply it to the MSRP of a new one and NO rebates, Offers, or reductions apply.... so really its best in this economy to get another one identical.. and yes the same lemon rules will apply to the new one if it is no good either....

tha Bank: your bank will most likely accept a collateral exchange on your loan... basicily swap 1 VIN for the new one... the ew jeep is worth more plus you have paid a year or more of payments and are starting at odometer 0 so the banks typically like that... DONT REFINANCE or you lose the interest you have already paid...

so far for me things are going smoothly.. they did wan t me to take another 2008 at first and I said no way Hose-Say... the lemon law in ohio does state a replacement will need to be of a new model vehicle... thus gaining you yhe updates... although if you are willing to take another 08 off a lot you can settle quickly...

now to hold my current one together till the new one comes in... somekind of CLutch replacement due to TSB they have to do now.. and im all the way in Miami florida.. argh... oh and all the screws are falling out of the brackets on my convertible top....

-Christopher
Old 12-29-2008, 12:55 PM
JK Newbie

wow thanks alot for all the info. i will keep everyone posted on the results. as i have stated earlier i really hope it doesnt come to this but if thats what it takes so be it.
Old 12-29-2008, 01:01 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Infidel616
wow thanks alot for all the info. i will keep everyone posted on the results. as i have stated earlier i really hope it doesnt come to this but if thats what it takes so be it.
What are the issues you are having?
Old 12-29-2008, 04:44 PM
JK Newbie

Well it has been to the dealer six times for various evap system failures. Everything from large leaks, small leaks, bad gas cap, to a comlete system failure. On top of that i have the leaking hard top issue and my clutch has a little squeak to it. I know that both of the last items mentioned have bullitens out for them but how can i trust a dealer to fix a clutch when they cant handle a simple evap can? After climbing under the rig this weekend i honestly feel like i can fix the problems my self but i know that as soon as i touch it the dealer will wash their hands of the issue. However, if i have to go through ohio or new mexico there is simply no way i can work the legal system being in themilitary. currently i am deployed more than im home.
Old 12-29-2008, 05:10 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JeepaRoo
I am in the process of Lemon on my JK now... 50+ days out of service since I got it exactly 1 year ago... im an ohio resident... there are a couple things to think about in the current state of affairs with the auto industry... these resulted in extended conversation with my attorney... im using a firm out of dayton that specializes only in such cases....

1] if you truly meet the criteria for a full blown Lemon and not a shaky case or just a "problem vehicle" then you dont Have to accept any offer that chrysler comes up with you CAN take it all the way to court or accept only an offer that fully fulfills the law...

in ohio you can ask for the to reimburse your full purchase price (minus any neg. equity),
the full amount of any payments you made (including interest), reimbursement for any parts and labor cost that you have receipts for accessories and non warranty-voiding Modifications.. reimbursement for any rental car charges....

they will not reimburse you for Lost work time, lost emplyment or extra fuel charges associated with renting a car..

they will not charge you usage charges however your vehicle cant be roughly treated or they have a right to charge you damages..

now thats what you can get if you take it all the way to the end... however remember if chrysler files for any sort of bankruptcy protection you will lose all capacity to do anything as they are protected from civil suit in that case....

the other thing you can do is vehicle replacement which is what I have chosen to do... it has a lot less time involved... I filed my papers in mid october and my Jeep is currently in Order status... in my case since my Jeep was special ordered there wasnt one wit hthe same option set on any Lot.. so we ordered one identical to it excpet a different color... and chrysler is even going to install the U-connect / Ipod doc which I had put in my current one...

of course with toledo on extended shutdown I wont get the Jeep till feb sometime im guessing.. but normally yhey will "hot tag" your order in which case it normally is built and then shipped within 2 weeks or less...

they will WANT you to take one fro ma lot somewhere.. but I refused as i would Lose options.. and to get what I have now anything on a lot was way more MSRP then they were willing to absorb. as it is the sticker on a new one for 2009 vs 2008 is about $1000 higher and they are absorbing that....

if you want a different Jeep vehicle than a wrangler or you want to Upgrade you will LOSE bigtime.. as they will take your negotiated price you payed for your current one and apply it to the MSRP of a new one and NO rebates, Offers, or reductions apply.... so really its best in this economy to get another one identical.. and yes the same lemon rules will apply to the new one if it is no good either....

tha Bank: your bank will most likely accept a collateral exchange on your loan... basicily swap 1 VIN for the new one... the ew jeep is worth more plus you have paid a year or more of payments and are starting at odometer 0 so the banks typically like that... DONT REFINANCE or you lose the interest you have already paid...

so far for me things are going smoothly.. they did wan t me to take another 2008 at first and I said no way Hose-Say... the lemon law in ohio does state a replacement will need to be of a new model vehicle... thus gaining you yhe updates... although if you are willing to take another 08 off a lot you can settle quickly...

now to hold my current one together till the new one comes in... somekind of CLutch replacement due to TSB they have to do now.. and im all the way in Miami florida.. argh... oh and all the screws are falling out of the brackets on my convertible top....

-Christopher
Some of this untrue in my state. regarding replacement vehicle. You will have to choose one with the same sticker price as the one you bought. They don't eat the change in price structure from year to year. Regarding buyback, again you get sticker price + taxes, doc fees, etc. Not negotiated price. If you got a really good deal at original purchase buyback may be the better route.
Old 01-03-2009, 03:58 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

well the thing is chrysler will want to settle without goingto court so in my case they allowed me to build a new vehicle.. they knew it would cost them a lot more to do a complete buyout including my interest paid and all.. it costs them less to just get me a new identical Jeep.... the ohio law however is written a little different than some other states... but in general chrysler wants to go the cheapest route for them esp if your case is strong.. if its a weak case they will try and fight it... omne of the srguments being that if your vehicle is fixed regardless of past history they wil ltry and weazle out... in my case my jeep was (is) in the shop through the whole negotiation and I qualified on many levels for the law so they couldnt do much but settle...
-Christopher

Quick Reply: Lemon law advice??