Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Legal to ride doors-off?

Old 02-16-2011, 06:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cdash
I've thought about this alot, since I have kids (1 1/2 and 4) and will hopefully be ordering soon. If I went with a 2 door, I'd likely get hard doors, since I wouldn't feel bad taking them off, or putting aftermarket soft doors in their place.
Your kids will love the top off while in the driveway and at speeds under 15 m.p.h. After that, they'll want you to "put the windows up".

Speaking from experience here...
Old 02-16-2011, 06:48 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Unclebuck12
Your kids will love the top off while in the driveway and at speeds under 15 m.p.h. After that, they'll want you to "put the windows up".

Speaking from experience here...
You must have girls.
I remember a day when most people did not use seatbelts. Even I had a hard time getting use to this law. My buddies and I didn't even think twice about hopping into a Jeep and going wheelin. I also think it a shame that someone might scoff you for ridding your kids in a jeep with no top. What is the diffrence between that and a convertible luxary car. The doors may offer a little protection. But the top, even the hard top, offers little to none.
Old 02-16-2011, 06:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default NC

I wanted to add a bit for non jeepers too about NC. My buddy has a nissan all rigged out, but had to fab up tube doors because there is some crazy verbiage about driving without "factory intended or supplied equipement". Please know I'm summarizing the actual legal garbage. Point is that since his truck wasn't intended to drive without doors, it isn't legal without some gaurds that actually had to be fab'd to state specification.

Also: In NC, as of about 5 years ago, you didn't have to have a windshield, but you must have working wipers.

Mirrors are covered in another post
Old 02-16-2011, 07:16 AM
JK Junkie

In Montana....you can be doorless and top less I don't know about mirrors...but literally every other car in this town is a jeep of some sort and they don't rock mirrors in the summer. No one gets ticketed. Just out of curiosity I will call the local cop shop on that tho...

EDIT: i checked with the local doughnut eaters...the law simply states...the vehicle must have one mirror that reflects to the driver an accurate view of what is behind the vehicle for up to 200ft. so he told me as long as i have the rear view mirror i am ok.

and while i had him on the phone i asked about mud flaps and fender flares. in montana it doesnt matter if the tires stick out past the fender flares and you only need mud flaps if your vehicle is more than 52 inches from the bottom of the bumper to the ground

Last edited by sringer; 02-16-2011 at 09:10 AM.
Old 02-17-2011, 06:39 AM
BBB
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agreed about leaving the doors on the rear when children are present. Been there done that.

Doesn't look half bad. Since the roll bar tapers after the rear doors, it kinda looks military/ 1st G Humvee like with the top down and the rear doors present. Almost like there should be a 50 caliber sticking out the top
Old 02-17-2011, 12:02 PM
JK Newbie

I asked a police officer in Ontario, Canada. He told me that I need 2 mirrors to see behind me while driving. One is the centre mirror, the other is the driver mirror. I drove for years without doors. No problems!

Quick Reply: Legal to ride doors-off?